ADVERTISEMENT

Duke may be a tougher game than Michigan

Duke fan here, as I said in other threads I come in peace.

I see this as a pretty even game.

Our QB Jones is one of only two returning players nationally to have over 5,500 career passing yards and 1,000 rushing yards. Not sure he is better than a healthy Thorson, but he is Cutcliffe’s best QB since arriving at Duke.

Brittain Brown at RB is a quick power runner. The number of possessions against an option, clock-grinding team like Army skews the numbers lower than average. Still, NU has an incredible running game and we can only hope to slow it down.

Our WRs last year were not impressive. Young stepped up in the first game, and we were much more vertical than most games last year. Doubt Cutcliffe showed much of the playbook last weekend. We have some young talent that may push for playing time, even Saturday.

On defense, our secondary was surprisingly soft against Army. Defense is supposed to be the strength of our team, with a LB (Joe Giles-Harris) and DB (Mark Gilbert) on the preseason first team all-ACC. We run a 4-2-5, although Army has so many weird formations that we played many strange matchups.

This should be a really fun game. Good luck, hope for no injuries, go to Hell Carolina.

And no, we’re not Michigan by a long shot.
I think most fans on both sides see this as a fairly evenly matched up game.

Sagarin has us next to each other in the rankings; Vegas had us as 3 point favorites at home (even on a neutral field).

Given that CT is likely to still be on a reduced pitch count, I'd give Jones the edge on QB knowing he's taking every snap. As far as the rest goes, we really got beat last year on both lines and that can't be the case if we're going to be in position to win.

It's going to be a tough game. I expect it to come down to the last series or two.

Last edited:
Reactions: OldPhiKap
Keep charging all you want Glide. I could not care less what you charge. If you can’t watch the film and see what I’m seeing, then I can’t help you.

GOUNUII
Your statement is that Duke's depth of running back is better than ours. That means that you believe the corps of Brittain, Jackson, Pierre, and Hubbard is superior to Larkin, Moten. Brown, and Bowser.

Brittain is a good back. Possibly a half step slower than Larkin. The other three are relatively unknown quantities.

The two running back groups are similar in many ways and I personally see the edge in overall talent and depth going to NU. I could also see a statement that they are very close to equal. What I am asking for is some narrative from your film study that brings you to the conclusion that Duke's running back group as a whole has superior depth to NU's. Your opinion appears to be an outlier compared with most posters and experts. That makes it interesting.

I am saddened that your are indifferent to my curiosity on this issue. I am interested in your reasoning.

FWIW I think NU has the clear advantage in running back depth.

I suspect that the control of the line will be determinative of whose ground game does better in the end.

FWIW I think NU has the clear advantage in running back depth.

I suspect that the control of the line will be determinative of whose ground game does better in the end.

Precisely OPK. The line play will be the key. Unfortunately for NU, Jones gives Duke another RB in the backfield who is healthy and dangerous. So NU will have the tougher task of defending a dangerous dual threat.

GOUNUII

How does your O line compare to last year? Or did we just catch y’all with injuries or youth? That seemed like the biggest difference-maker last year, sacks and forced rushes.

FWIW our D should be better this year, but O line less experienced.

How does your O line compare to last year? Or did we just catch y’all with injuries or youth? .
Much better. Last year, they ran an experiment at the start of the season, moving the LT to LG, and playing a Center at LT. After Game 4 they set the line as you will see it Saturday, with the graduated Center replaced by the guy who played LT last year. Experienced, effective, no longer the weak link on the team

Reactions: OldPhiKap
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT