ADVERTISEMENT

Dumb question

DocCat2

Aug 25, 2005
On the home page of this website there is a photo showing the ND QB back to pass. Is the block his by the offensive lineman behind him legal or is that holding?

On the home page of this website there is a photo showing the ND QB back to pass. Is the block his by the offensive lineman behind him legal or is that holding?
I’m pretty rusty when it comes to the nuance of NCAAF rules. The team hired officials to come and discuss rule changes before the season and answer any questions, but that was many years ago so lately I just go based off of what I recall / see on TV.

There is holding which occurs on most plays, and then there is blatant holding. The officials are rarely going to call it if your hands are “inside the pads”, which they clearly are in that still frame photo. However if that DL did a swim move, a spin move, a dip-and-rip or anything to demonstrate that his jersey or pads are being held / impeding his progress, then it would likely be called.

I hope this helps. There is certainly an art to holding which experienced college OL learn, so unless it is obvious it isn’t called nearly enough. The game would suck to watch if they called holding every play that it actually occurred. I wouldn’t count on many NU-friendly calls this Saturday.

I’m pretty rusty when it comes to the nuance of NCAAF rules. The team hired officials to come and discuss rule changes before the season and answer any questions, but that was many years ago so lately I just go based off of what I recall / see on TV.

There is holding which occurs on most plays, and then there is blatant holding. The officials are rarely going to call it if your hands are “inside the pads”, which they clearly are in that still frame photo. However if that DL did a swim move, a spin move, a dip-and-rip or anything to demonstrate that his jersey or pads are being held / impeding his progress, then it would likely be called.

I hope this helps. There is certainly an art to holding which experienced college OL learn, so unless it is obvious it isn’t called nearly enough. The game would suck to watch if they called holding every play that it actually occurred. I wouldn’t count on many NU-friendly calls this Saturday.

Do we know which conference the refs will be from?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT