ADVERTISEMENT

Elevate Mike Polisky to AD

NJcatsfan

Nov 21, 2004
From everything I’ve heard, including from a very well connected source, this seems like a no brainer. Polisky is extremely well regarded in the Chicago sports world. He’s worked hand in glove with Phillips, who loves him. He is beloved and respected by our coaches — including PF (especially crucial in this moment) and CC. He already has strong existing relationships with our big donors. He’s the closest thing to personifying continuity as is available, which seems like a smart play. Why wouldn’t we want to continue on our current, historically-successful trajectory?

I think/hope Fitz will stay. Those odds are increased, in my view, if he is very comfortable w the team at the top. I hope he leverages football’s success and secures more resources for the program (stadium overhaul / rebuild, more $ for coaches etc) and keeps building on the incredible foundation he’s laid. Polisky as AD would strike one potential negative disruption off the list.

Thoughts?

From everything I’ve heard, including from a very well connected source, this seems like a no brainer. Polisky is extremely well regarded in the Chicago sports world. He’s worked hand in glove with Phillips, who loves him. He is beloved and respected by our coaches — including PF (especially crucial in this moment) and CC. He already has strong existing relationships with our big donors. He’s the closest thing to personifying continuity as is available, which seems like a smart play. Why wouldn’t we want to continue on our current, historically-successful trajectory?

I think/hope Fitz will stay. Those odds are increased, in my view, if he is very comfortable w the team at the top. I hope he leverages football’s success and secures more resources for the program (stadium overhaul / rebuild, more $ for coaches etc) and keeps building on the incredible foundation he’s laid. Polisky as AD would strike one potential negative disruption off the list.

Thoughts?
I would agree, but why would you put together a "search committee" if this was a simple elevate situation? He also did not get the DePaul gig (who would want it), so that is interesting. This seems very logical, but I thought for sure JP was going to be the BIG Commissioner, so I have no clue.

Reactions: 4IUSox2

Thoughts?
I think the only concern is that he’s only ever been on the marketing / media side, which is to say, he has no experience either as a collegiate athlete or any formal education in athletics administration or education administration. I’m not sure how many AD’s are strictly marketing folks. (Dr. Jim’s masters and doctorate are in education / education administration.) It strikes me that advocating for the athletes is a huge part of the role.

All that said, the resume is tough to beat, and elevating from within — especially with a decade experience in a high-visibility position — would make great sense.

Assume the committee will be looking to interview qualified female and/or under represented minority candidates for this position. DePaul went in that direction for their AD search as did the B1G for commissioner.

Reactions: rmndcat
I would agree, but why would you put together a "search committee" if this was a simple elevate situation? He also did not get the DePaul gig (who would want it), so that is interesting. This seems very logical, but I thought for sure JP was going to be the BIG Commissioner, so I have no clue.
To my mind it’s being responsible. You may feel that you have an excellent internal candidate, and you can still assure yourself that is the best candidate by casting a wider net. In good organizations that hire and develop well, the internal candidate will have some significant advantages. But with these kinds of hires there are many things you can learn by seeing what other candidates can bring to the table, even if the internal candidate is ultimately promoted from within.

I think it's just best practice to conduct a due diligence search, including diverse candidates who reflect the make up of our student athletes in all sports. That said, it is great to have one strong, experienced internal candidate to start with and potentially end with.

I can't remember exaxctly but what was Polisky's involvement in the Vassar fiasco?
Just an NU fan but he is not my wish for AD.

12 years ago we hired a relatively unknown guy from Northern Illinois. As a program we are in a much different place now.

Big names as well as highly regarded up and comers will give us a look now.

To me that’s why you do a search.

Assume the committee will be looking to interview qualified female and/or under represented minority candidates for this position. DePaul went in that direction for their AD search as did the B1G for commissioner.

Probably correct but hope the word "equally or better" qualified is part of the equation.

Every single thing that this board has complained about regarding ticket pricing, priority points, parking allocation, seating allocation, parking pricing, etc., for football and men’s basketball has come from his desk. He’s a number cruncher with no track record of fundraising, caring for student welfare (his big idea was that free student tickets to events needed to be stopped), connecting with athletes, or anything of the like. We can do better and if we don’t we are in trouble.

Every single thing that this board has complained about regarding ticket pricing, priority points, parking allocation, seating allocation, parking pricing, etc., for football and men’s basketball has come from his desk. He’s a number cruncher with no track record of fundraising, caring for student welfare (his big idea was that free student tickets to events needed to be stopped), connecting with athletes, or anything of the like. We can do better and if we don’t we are in trouble.

Thanks for your insight. Can someone please do a wellness check on willycat? This post might have put him over the edge. 😳

I think it's just best practice to conduct a due diligence search, including diverse candidates who reflect the make up of our student athletes in all sports. That said, it is great to have one strong, experienced internal candidate to start with and potentially end with.

We did the same with the internal hire of Kurt Anderson. Opened it up, but it was never really in doubt.

Why didn’t you say so in the first place? 😃

I have no dog in this fight and have never met him, but did Polisky unilaterally implement all of these policies? I would think Dr. Jim could veto anything and makes the final call. I am not a fan of promoting from within for AD or DC without at least kicking the tires to determine what’s potentially available.

I would prefer somehow who has an educational background in Athletic administration and has been successful at a D1 program. White seems like the home run hire.

Reactions: CoralSpringsCat
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT