ADVERTISEMENT

Eleven years ago today we lost Randy Walker

Coach Walker studied for a term at the vaudeville college, where he learned that funny words have the "k" sound in them -- whether spelled with c or k.

Has it really been 11 years? I'll never forget the feeling of loss and emptiness upon waking up to that news. It feels like yesterday.

"That wasn't us out there..." oops, never mind :)

He had his ups and downs as a coach but remained one of the true class acts and all-time best coaches at NU regardless of the W-L record. He surprised everyone by adopting the spread offense in his second year at NU after being a smash-mouth proponent previously and turned college football on its head, highlighted by the 54-51 win over Michigan.

Thanks for the memories, Coach Walk.

That's right! Crusty the Clown was from Itchy and Scratchy, which was part of the Simpsons.

That's not true. Krusty the clown (with a K) was a character on the show, who ran a kid's show, like Bozo the clown (and who incidentally had a third nipple). Itchy and Scratchy was one of the cartoons that played on the show. Let's get it right - Itchy and Scratchy was from Krusty's show, not the other way around.

Thanks for the reminder. Ironically 11 years ago today I was also here in Japan when I heard the news.

Coach Walker will always be remembered with fondness and gratitude for his contributions.

Remember thinking the program would never recover. Success had been new but also elusive and I thought back to the door mat.

I also remember how impressed I was at how Mrs Walker carried herself publicly through the tragedy of her loss and how she remained a part of the NU family.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT