ADVERTISEMENT

End of the Prime mystique

mesacat

May 29, 2001
Ducks up on Buffs 21-0 mid 2Q. Duck are scary. The BIG will never be the same and we are so far from being competitive with them

Good. NU should kick the wheels on Sean Lewis as out next head coach if their season deflates and he becomes more… available.

Kafka and Lewis would offer two intriguing potential head coaches to turn the program around.

But can they sell like Gary Barnett?

Reactions: Figrating
Don't know what was worse in the sports media the Prime Circus or the Saban grave dancing.

I feel like Oregon was like, "Shhh, Prime...the adults are talking now."

My nephew who is an Oregon grad and still resides in the area was stoked by the big win and attended the game with his wife. Great game by the Ducks shutting out coach prime and the Buffs.

Last edited:
Deion isn't revolutionizing college football or doing anything different than other coaches have done since NIL or the transfer portal began. There was never any mystique it was all the media forcing Deion on us because he has a strong personality. I will also point out the fallacy that Deion turned around a 1-11 team around. This year's team has a completely different roster.

Deion isn't revolutionizing college football or doing anything different than other coaches have done since NIL or the transfer portal began. There was never any mystique it was all the media forcing Deion on us because he has a strong personality. I will also point out the fallacy that Deion turned around a 1-11 team around. This year's team has a completely different roster.
Deion generates hype/ratings, that is the bottom line. As the season progresses and more losses come his way, it will die down.

Ducks up on Buffs 21-0 mid 2Q. Duck are scary. The BIG will never be the same and we are so far from being competitive with them
Don’t think so. About Prime, not Oregon. Nobody expected them to go in and beat a scary Oregon team on the road. Especially without Travis Hunter.

They will probably get beat by USC next week too. Doesn’t take away from what Deion has already done.

Deion is also the guy who got rid of the dead weight and recruited the new ( better) players. I saw an article where he already made an estimated 90M for Colorado.

Colorado was arguably one of the bottom 10% of P5 programs when he arrived. I’m pretty confident that he’ll bring in top classes of players wherever he is. He said before the year that teams might get him this year, but watch out after that. He is taking receipts. The guy will be an absolute stud recruiter and he may not take Colorado to the pinnacle of the sport but I wouldn’t put playoff appearances past him. He still is at a talent disadvantage against the big boys.

Deion is also the guy who got rid of the dead weight and recruited the new ( better) players. I saw an article where he already made an estimated 90M for Colorado.

Colorado was arguably one of the bottom 10% of P5 programs when he arrived. I’m pretty confident that he’ll bring in top classes of players wherever he is. He said before the year that teams might get him this year, but watch out after that. He is taking receipts. The guy will be an absolute stud recruiter and he may not take Colorado to the pinnacle of the sport but I wouldn’t put playoff appearances past him. He still is at a talent disadvantage against the big boys.
I know the Mom of a DB who got chased off Colorado by Deion and who was on the field yesterday for Oregon. Watching the Ducks carve up the Colorado secondary yesterday, I think the Buffs could have used him. The talent level at Colorado overall was somewhat subpar, but like the Cats, they had some guys who could play. I think Sanders viewed the situation like a professional team: screw the guys who were here, regardless of whether they came to Boulder for just football or football and school combination. I think an incoming coach has an obligation to be fair to kids already there. In this particular case, I don’t think he was.

I know the Mom of a DB who got chased off Colorado by Deion and who was on the field yesterday for Oregon. Watching the Ducks carve up the Colorado secondary yesterday, I think the Buffs could have used him. The talent level at Colorado overall was somewhat subpar, but like the Cats, they had some guys who could play. I think Sanders viewed the situation like a professional team: screw the guys who were here, regardless of whether they came to Boulder for just football or football and school combination. I think an incoming coach has an obligation to be fair to kids already there. In this particular case, I don’t think he was.
Don’t disagree, think it is a crappy thing to do. However, the man will win at some point because he will have more talent than most teams. Views himself as a football Coach that’s priority is to win games first and develop professional players second. This isn’t really different than just about every other HC. Running off players is hardly unique to Colorado. Deion is just unabashedly in your face about it.

Don’t disagree, think it is a crappy thing to do. However, the man will win at some point because he will have more talent than most teams. Views himself as a football Coach that’s priority is to win games first and develop professional players second. This isn’t really different than just about every other HC. Running off players is hardly unique to Colorado. Deion is just unabashedly in your face about it.
I agree. I think he is a good coach and he will elevate the talent at CU with his recruiting if he manages to stay there more than than 1-2 seasons, which I am highly skeptical of.

I just don’t like how he goes about doing it. Deion has always been and continues to be all about Deion. In his view, his players are there to make him look good and if they can’t manage to do that, then he has no use for them. Ask the Jackson State program and the players he left behind what they think about how genuine of a person Deion is.

I agree. I think he is a good coach and he will elevate the talent at CU with his recruiting if he manages to stay there more than than 1-2 seasons, which I am highly skeptical of.

I just don’t like how he goes about doing it. Deion has always been and continues to be all about Deion. In his view, his players are there to make him look good and if they can’t manage to do that, then he has no use for them. Ask the Jackson State program and the players he left behind what they think about how genuine of a person Deion is.

Ask Eddie Robinson, Jr about Coach Prime.

I saw an article where he already made an estimated 90M for Colorado.
I had to look this up since it seemed implausible. And it is. The $90 million is CU's estimate of the value of advertising revenue they generated for ESPN and Fox thus far this year. In other words, it's a meaningless number.

Reactions: CoralSpringsCat
Coach Prime basically cleaned house because he knew that in order to build a competitive team he had to change the culture. What's really amazing to me was that he was able to convince the power brokers.

I had to look this up since it seemed implausible. And it is. The $90 million is CU's estimate of the value of advertising revenue they generated for ESPN and Fox thus far this year. In other words, it's a meaningless number.

I won’t argue the $90M number as the details are skimpy, but a quick google search showed multiple articles estimating Coach Prime bringing in this figure or more. Either way it would be hard to dispute the man brought in a ton of money to the Buffs coffers.

To follow up on PPD’s point, Colorado has lots and lots of marijuana money, because the money can’t legally cross state lines; so IMHO a lot of the money can get recycled, (or laundered), in the football program...

I won’t argue the $90M number as the details are skimpy, but a quick google search showed multiple articles estimating Coach Prime bringing in this figure or more. Either way it would be hard to dispute the man brought in a ton of money to the Buffs coffers.
Not to belabor the point, but that article is confusing two different things. The $90 mil is this (irrelevant) estimate of the advertising revenue that CU brought to the TV stations. The money from additional donations to CU, merchandise sales, etc. is real cash. But it's far less than $90 mil. For example, the original article notes that donations are up $2 mil over last year. Also note that the multiple articles all just refer back to the same original source article. This isn't multiple independent sources.

Reactions: hoosboot
To follow up on PPD’s point, Colorado has lots and lots of marijuana money, because the money can’t legally cross state lines; so IMHO a lot of the money can get recycled, (or laundered), in the football program...
How do you launder money from a business that is legal in the state of Colorado? Not sure what you mean about money crossing state lines. Cannabis companies now have access to the banking system.

Schools like Michigan offer medical retirement. Benjamin St. Juste of the Washington Commanders is an example. Full disclosure, he did earn his undergrad from Michigan, so he isn't the best example.

Benjamin St. Juste

Ex-Michigan DB Benjamin St-Juste to transfer, disputes ‘retirement’

I don't mind as a Gophers fan, because he was a fantasic DB. Having him and Winfield Jr. in the same backfield was awesome.

8024z7.jpg

How do you launder money from a business that is legal in the state of Colorado? Not sure what you mean about money crossing state lines. Cannabis companies now have access to the banking system.
That’s how money laundering is done, through a legal business.

The beat-down by Oregon goes to show how important play in the trenches is (a major weakness for Colorado) - Lanning knows that all too well as he helped build the Georgia powerhouse.

But as crazy as it may sound, UDub may actually have the better team (definitely the better O w/ 2 1st round tackles and receivers and a 1st round QB).

Probably not the last beat-down CU will experience this season, but they are drawing a lot of eyeballs, including that of potential recruits and transfers.

Things should only get better for the Buffs program as Sanders builds the trenches.

Caleb Williams is good too. But CU was worse than NU last season, so whatever CU (and NU) accomplishes this season is a positive.

Reactions: KappaKat
What's that about with the watch? I'm from the 'slap five" era.
It’s apparently because ASU left too much time on the clock. ASU tied the game with 50 seconds left, and then Colorado drove 50 yards on five plays to kick the game-winner.

Reactions: drewjin
It’s apparently because ASU left too much time on the clock. ASU tied the game with 50 seconds left, and then Colorado drove 50 yards on five plays to kick the game-winner.
If that’s what it is, then I really don’t think it’s such a big deal. You don’t think their students weren’t yelling things at him all night? That is just the fun part of college football. It’s not like he cursed them out.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT