ADVERTISEMENT

End of the Prime mystique

Coach Prime has one thing in common with Coach Fitz:

“A kid ain’t even faithful to his girlfriend. You think (he’s) gonna be faithful to a school? Come on, man. That’s an emotional thing,” Sanders said. “What I wish the NCAA would do, if you’re committed somewhere, you can’t go on any other visits. If you’re committed, that means you’re committed.

“You can’t go on no other visits. Why would you be committed but you’re still letting kids go on other visits? That means you just playing.”

Also check out his take on NIL in recruiting:

“All the business stuff will be handled on the backend. But we are not an ATM. You’re not coming here to get rich unless you’re really coming here with a plan to go to the NFL and get your degree. Not to come here and be Moneybagg Yo. That’s a rapper, right?”

Reactions: drewjin
Sanders didn't have all the pieces or depth. I think all his braggadocio about cutting players came back and burnt him big time. Could have used some coached-up players. The biggest help he will get is moving to the Big 12.

I dislike the way he treated his players and the offensive coach but his style plays well with many for some reason. Colorado will have a better record next year.

I don’t follow recruiting closely, but Google tells me that Coach Neon only has nine commits, and is somewhere in the 50-75 range?

Dennys has Colorado between Coastal Carolina and Miami Ohio in the current rankings.

Reactions: SmellyCat
I don’t follow recruiting closely, but Google tells me that Coach Neon only has nine commits, and is somewhere in the 50-75 range?

Dennys has Colorado between Coastal Carolina and Miami Ohio in the current rankings.
I think he’s all in on saving scholarships for the portal players to try to get results now.

Reactions: Purple Pile Driver
I love how this guy has pissed off the establishment. Old white men that killed the golden goose and now they get up in arms when someone that is upfront about exposing the hypocrisy of the student athlete charade.
So true.

You get a like for calling him "Coach Neon" - I'm so sick of hearing him called "Coach Prime."

I love how this guy has pissed off the establishment. Old white men that killed the golden goose and now they get up in arms when someone that is upfront about exposing the hypocrisy of the student athlete charade.

Perhaps but that doesn't give him a pass on how he publicly shows up and degrades players and coaches. It is as much how you do it as what you do. That's just bad behavior towards others for self aggrandizement. Good he got a big helping of humble pie. Might have learned that it can be painful passing others on the way down after pushing them aside on the way up.

I also predict he will do just fine next year.

Perhaps but that doesn't give him a pass on how he publicly shows up and degrades players and coaches. It is as much how you do it as what you do. That's just bad behavior towards others for self aggrandizement. Good he got a big helping of humble pie. Might have learned that it can be painful passing others on the way down after pushing them aside on the way up.

I also predict he will do just fine next year.
Yes, I understand this POV. Just saying, he is a product of what the system created by a win at all costs approach triggered by money.

For me, the constant references to ‘Coach Prime’ are cloying. Media embracing and marketing the brand for him.

While Coach Sanders would be more appropriate and objective, I use Coach Neon —objectively stupid and a reminder that he was once Neon Deion — to counteract the unearned positivity.

Mostly, tho, because it’s silly.

It's annoying because it's not his name! Yes, it's part of a nickname he had back when he was a player, and calling him that every now and then is fine, but the amount of times announcers call him "Coach Prime" (and not "Sanders" or "Coach Sanders" or even "Deion") is so over-the-top. Calling Pat Fitzgerald "Fitz" kind of makes sense as it's a shortening of his name, but announcers still usually called him "Fitzgerald."

But I think NUCat320 hit it on the head - they were doing his marketing for him, and that was just unnecessary. I'd like to know more about his coaching and how good/bad it is than just that he's a cool guy that everyone is excited about, but that's just me.

Last edited:
Reactions: fcmchi
Prime finishes 4-8. His team sucked after all that hype. 7 game losing streak to end the year. How many of those seasons can he handle before jumping ship at the first opportunity?

Maybe Danny O’Neil (no apparent relation) would like to be the next great too-small quarterback named Dan at Northwestern.

Reported NU offer. Also Illinois, Indiana, Purdue.

NU seems to have much more momentum than Coach Neon’s program.

Last edited:
Most appropriate thing I can think of:

. . . . .
And on the pedestal, these words appear:
My name is Ozymandias, King of Kings;
Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
Nothing beside remains. Round the decay
Of that colossal Wreck, boundless and bare
The lone and level sands stretch far away.”

Players and recruits bailing on Deion left and right. The act is wearing thin already.

Maybe Danny O’Neil (no apparent relation) would like to be the next great too-small quarterback named Dan at Northwestern.

Reported NU offer. Also Illinois, Indiana, Purdue.

NU seems to have much more momentum than Coach Neon’s program.

1) Bajakian offered, which won’t mean much in short order.

2) I don’t think he’s very good. At all.

Reactions: NUCat320
VERY good question! Wondering if some coaches aren’t being retained and those were the guys that recruited these players?
Maybe word is being spread that THE coach isn’t staying. I don’t know anything, but there has to be a reason these guys are all jumping ship.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT