ADVERTISEMENT

End of the Prime mystique

If you liken it to “The U” culture, it did not seem to foster sustained success or fan base for Miami.
The U teams were and still are culturally iconic. It put them on the map. Documentaries and books have been written about them… and they won multiple titles, too.

You can't argue with people on this one. It's a completely moving target. First it was a he's bad coach even though he took over a team that went 1-11 the previous year and won 4 games his first year and now is sitting ranked at 5-2 and his teams have shown steady improvement. Now, it's he's going to leave or has ruined the culture of the aforementioned 1-11 Buffs. He's polarizing like the 2024 election. People have their minds made up. I'm super curious if it's generational, racial, his brash personality or some combo of the three. I'm less inclined to think it's race related for the CU alumni because the Buffs have a history of hiring African-American coaches and I can't remember any of them getting this level of hate.
Complete moving of the goal posts by the critics.

I think it’s ultimately the security blanket of “at least we do things the right way” while another dumpster fire 1-11 program gets more media coverage, more recruiting prowess, and whose stock is more on the up and up.

It’s an attempt at manufacturing a moral victory instead of tipping your cap and being happy for the arguably the only P5 program that was as bad as ours over the past few seasons.

Reactions: 7th Cir. Cat
Complete moving of the goal posts by the critics.

I think it’s ultimately the security blanket of “at least we do things the right way” while another dumpster fire 1-11 program gets more media coverage, more recruiting prowess, and whose stock is more on the up and up.

It’s an attempt at manufacturing a moral victory instead of tipping your cap and being happy for the arguably the only P5 program that was as bad as ours over the past few seasons.
Not really. It was all the “we coming” and then they go 4-8. Also “we need to support HBCUs” and then he bolts to Colorado.

With NIL and the transfer portal, his schtick could work long term. Time will tell.

Ok guy. Just google Colorado football toxic culture. Plenty to see (including instructing the stadium DJ to play his son’s rap song instead of the school fight song after TDs). None of it really my concern, just o serving from afar.
Let me guess: allegations of toxic culture are coming from a few kids no longer at the program. Sounds familiar. NU's culture was so bad, they went to a bowl game (and no one got arrested).

And the rap song? The horror.

"Bad culture" is the catch-all excuse levied by those who did not fit the culture or could not meet the standards of performance. I have seen this movie many times. It always has the same ending.

Let me guess: allegations of toxic culture are coming from a few kids no longer at the program. Sounds familiar. NU's culture was so bad, they went to a bowl game (and no one got arrested).

And the rap song? The horror.

"Bad culture" is the catch-all excuse levied by those who did not fit the culture or could not meet the standards of performance. I have seen this movie many times. It always has the same ending.
Could be a nothing burger but seems bad.

Also, Prime is a scumbag.

Not really. It was all the “we coming” and then they go 4-8. Also “we need to support HBCUs” and then he bolts to Colorado.

With NIL and the transfer portal, his schtick could work long term. Time will tell.
He did support HBCUs. He did a lot for an HBCU that hadn’t done much and gave them national attention. You're knocking him because he got offered a huge job offer a took it? Dude was a HS coordinator four years ago.

And I mean, yeah, they went 4-8. Lost a bunch of one-score games. Ran out of gas a few times. That is still an improvement over 1-11, and they’re already 5-2 this year. How is that bad?

He did support HBCUs. He did a lot for an HBCU that hadn’t done much and gave them national attention. You're knocking him because he got offered a huge job offer a took it? Dude was a HS coordinator four years ago.

And I mean, yeah, they went 4-8. Lost a bunch of one-score games. Ran out of gas a few times. That is still an improvement over 1-11, and they’re already 5-2 this year. How is that bad?
Listen, there are a lot of reasons people don't like Deion. It should be obvious to anybody, even his fans. People already disliked him for being extremely, legendarily cocky and flashy. Then he became the absolute avatar of transfer portal, running guys off, and NIL play, so all the people who hated that lined up against him. Then it turned out both of his sons are pretty big pieces of shit, one in particular, and that he's generally been involved in aiding and abetting this. Then there's the weird softness with the media (this is where he really lost me, IMO, if you're gonna be literally the most brash and cocky sports figure of all time you can't ALSO be thin-skinned and soft at the first whiff of criticism... that betrays a gross insecurity newspapered over by all this narcissism).

Sports media loves a villain, so we're gonna get to keep watching this either way. For me... I think Colorado is lucky to be in the Big 12 and out of a conference stacked with NFL QBs like they were last year.

It’s not bad . I wish NU was 5-2. I guess if you don’t care how the sausage is made, then ok.

Deon reminds me of somebody in the news…

Reactions: IGNORE2
Sorry for your loss. I'm curious as to whether the majority of older (60+) CU alumni are anti-prime because he's flashy and represents a new world of NIL college football or if they are happy to be relevant. Colorado is ranked and is 5-2 for the first time since 2005. Donations are up across the board so I'm assuming a good chunk is the latter but I'm sure there's a good percentage of older alumni who would appreciate a more conservative Jim Tressell sweater-vest or a Dabo Swinney (no portal) approach. In other words, how much of the anti-prime sentiment is generational?
Thanks. I do wish my dad was around to weigh in. I think he would enjoy the winning, for sure. The McCartney era wasn’t the most savory in some ways so Buffs fans have been willing to look away from certain things when they are winning.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT