ADVERTISEMENT

ESPN Article - Comings and Goings

Hard to think it will be anything but another very tough road ahead for us, at least based on rankings.
If you look at the gains and losses of these teams, Indiana, Rutgers, Penn State, Ohio State, Minnesota, Nebraska, Michigan and Iowa all look like they will be worse next year.

Purdue, Michigan State and Wisconsin all do not lose much. Illinois and Maryland appear to have reloaded.

We never looks as impressive on paper as far as rankings. However, we have the bulk of our NCAA team coming back which is not something most of these other teams can say. The question is just how much we'll miss Chase. I worry we'll miss him way more than some people think.

If you look at the gains and losses of these teams, Indiana, Rutgers, Penn State, Ohio State, Minnesota, Nebraska, Michigan and Iowa all look like they will be worse next year.

Purdue, Michigan State and Wisconsin all do not lose much. Illinois and Maryland appear to have reloaded.
Interesting that you came to that set of conclusions.
I went through the teams as well and thought - NU is better than a lot of these teams.
Most of our Big Ten opponents are going to depend on highly-rated freshmen and transfers.
MSU and Purdue seem like the main competition.

Last edited:
Reactions: drewjin

I think you're right on some of these.

Michigan - The only returning/new double-digit scorer is a senior from Tennessee who scored 8.6 ppg in the SEC. The also have a top-90 guy.
Penn State - Thankfully, Pickett is gone. They have a new coach, 4.6 ppg total returning and new double-digit scorers from VCU, Lafayette and Kansas City.
Rutgers - Losing Spencer, McConnell and Mulcahy will hopefully make them easier to defend. That's 174 of the 351 3-pt attempts they took in the conference last year.
Nebraska - Whatever touch Hoiberg had Iowa State seems to be gone. We'll see what a seemingly uninspired coach can do when a bad team loses two of its top three scorers.
Iowa - Hopefully they have trouble replacing Murray's 21 ppg.

That should be a good start for the Cats.

I'm not sure I agree that OSU will be worse. Holtmann is a better coach than that trainwreck last year. I wonder what happened.

He's also bringing in three top-50s and Jamison battle from Minnesota.

I think you're right on some of these.

Michigan - The only returning/new double-digit scorer is a senior from Tennessee who scored 8.6 ppg in the SEC. The also have a top-90 guy.
Penn State - Thankfully, Pickett is gone. They have a new coach, 4.6 ppg total returning and new double-digit scorers from VCU, Lafayette and Kansas City.
Rutgers - Losing Spencer, McConnell and Mulcahy will hopefully make them easier to defend. That's 174 of the 351 3-pt attempts they took in the conference last year.
Nebraska - Whatever touch Hoiberg had Iowa State seems to be gone. We'll see what a seemingly uninspired coach can do when a bad team loses two of its top three scorers.
Iowa - Hopefully they have trouble replacing Murray's 21 ppg.

That should be a good start for the Cats.

I'm not sure I agree that OSU will be worse. Holtmann is a better coach than that trainwreck last year. I wonder what happened.

He's also bringing in three top-50s and Jamison battle from Minnesota.
Yeah, when I looked at it again today OSU looked pretty scary.

Interesting that you came to that set of conclusions.
I went through the teams as well and thought - NU is better than a lot of these teams.
Most of our Big Ten opponents are going to depend on highly-rated freshmen and transfers.
MSU and Purdue seems like the main competition.
I kept NU out of the before / after comparison. Movement in and out but feels like they are about the same? I agree Cats are on the upper half this year.

Lot of motivation last year.

Coaches trying to prove themselves
MN must have been passed he was not starting from beginning.
Boo and Chase last go round, had to prove their worth to continue beyond college.
Good leadership.

Hopefully, this has/will become the culture and will continue. Leading to the program being an upper half BIG team all the time.

I wasn't good at predicting how good we would be before all the movement. Now, just impossible. Just get to wait to be surprised, one way or the other.

The predictions I am getting out of my tushy are that Purdue and MSU are better than everyone else. After that, we have a chance, like a few others do, to come in 3rd, or 10th.
Agree here. In order to finish in the upper half NU is going to have to improve enough offensively to overcome the drop in defense. A couple of the additions have the potential to be more offensively inclined production wise than their counterparts were last year and I’m super high on Barnhizer. Defensively a lot leans on replacing arguably the best perimeter in the league last year. Going to need multiple players to step up. Hopefully Preston’s defense is at least Verhoovens level on defense as well. The back up 4 will be a defensive question mark I think.

Reactions: IGNORE2
Couple tidbits of note from Torvik's preview page in conference:

Wisconsin, Purdue and MSU return the most minutes of all teams. Wisconsin and Purdue each only brought in one transfer, MSU zero. MSU brings in a ridiculous recruiting class including 3 top-30 recruits plus a 4-star, while Wisconsin has 2 4-stars and Purdue 1.

Michigan has the most "talented" roster, adding a top-100 recruit and three P6 transfers...but Juwan Howard is still their coach. MSU, Maryland and IU round out the top tier of "talent", with MD bringing in two top-75 recruits and three transfers, and IU, despite losing 4 starters, reloads with a top-10 recruit, a 5-star C transfer from Oregon, two 4-star recruits and two other P6 transfers. IU is also the 2nd-least experienced team and the youngest team, so it make some time for them to gel together.

NU's roster has the 2nd-least "talent" on paper, just ahead of Nebraska.

Nebraska has the most experienced team despite losing 3 starters - they add four mid-major seniors who were among the best players on their respective teams last year at New Mexico, Charlotte, Ball State and Bradley. Again, will see how long it takes for them to come together as a team.

PSU should be dead last given a new coach, the loss of their entire starting lineup plus one bench player to graduation, and the loss of four other bench players to transfers. They bring in 9 new transfers, including some decent mid-major guys and some underperforming P6 guys.

Illinois is the 2nd-most experienced team in the conference, and returns their best player in Shannon, but is bringing in 5 transfers plus a top-100 recruit, and given Undy's temperament, who knows how the team will come together.

I think I tend to agree with @GatoLouco of us being anywhere from 3rd to 10th. Seems Collins has learned his lessons from the 1st time he made the tourney about not being complacent, which hopefully bodes well for this year.

Agree here. In order to finish in the upper half NU is going to have to improve enough offensively to overcome the drop in defense. A couple of the additions have the potential to be more offensively inclined production wise than their counterparts were last year and I’m super high on Barnhizer. Defensively a lot leans on replacing arguably the best perimeter in the league last year. Going to need multiple players to step up. Hopefully Preston’s defense is at least Verhoovens level on defense as well. The back up 4 will be a defensive question mark I think.
Hey, we are on a same page! I’ve been super high on BB since last year and see him and MN as potential difference makers to let Boo be more of a traditional PG.

Michigan won't be good this year, and their fans are expecting it. Bottom of the pack with PSU/Minnesota/Nebraska.

Whatever preseason expectations are, if we finish in the top half of the B1G and make the tournament for a second year in a row that would be huge for the program.

Michigan State loses Joey Hauser, who was pretty reliable for them, buy you can almost hear Tom Izzo saying to AJ Hoggard and Tyson Walker - "forget going pro for now - we have serious talent coming in - and they will give us a lot of depth, but I'm gonna play the upperclassmen until I can't justify it anymore - and we're going to be really good next year."

They've got Mady Sissoko who was a rugged, raw 6'9" and 240 lbs last season, but they also pick up the #9 overall recruit, a 6'10" (210) freshman named Xavier Booker, who turned down Duke and a bunch of others.

Throw in Jeremy Fears (ESPN #26) a 6'2" point guard and Coen Carr (ESPN #25) a 6'7" power forward who turned down UConn and others.

As CappyNU mentioned above - part of a "ridiculous recruiting class."

Hard to see Spartans outside the Top 3 in the Big Ten this season.

Reactions: Hungry Jack
Michigan State loses Joey Hauser, who was pretty reliable for them, buy you can almost hear Tom Izzo saying to AJ Hoggard and Tyson Walker - "forget going pro for now - we have serious talent coming in - and they will give us a lot of depth, but I'm gonna play the upperclassmen until I can't justify it anymore - and we're going to be really good next year."

They've got Mady Sissoko who was a rugged, raw 6'9" and 240 lbs last season, but they also pick up the #9 overall recruit, a 6'10" (210) freshman named Xavier Booker, who turned down Duke and a bunch of others.

Throw in Jeremy Fears (ESPN #26) a 6'2" point guard and Coen Carr (ESPN #25) a 6'7" power forward who turned down UConn and others.

As CappyNU mentioned above - part of a "ridiculous recruiting class."

Hard to see Spartans outside the Top 3 in the Big Ten this season.
Ehh... MSU has become like an automatic win for us lately!

😜 😄😭

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT