ADVERTISEMENT

Ezekial Elliot Comments

Wouldn't be surprised at all if Michigan handles then next week!
I was kind of thinking the same thing. Elliot's comments do not sound like a "team first" attitude.

I also wonder if that might impact his draft status. Running backs are not the hot commodity they once were.

Here is the dilemma, as I see it: A 20-year old kid said something somewhat immature in front of a scrum of 20 reporters, microphones and cameras after a difficult loss. There also happens to be approximately 10 million Ohioans who agree with him. Who among us has not over-reacted or said something a bit rash at that age? I am going to forgive a lot of minor, non-violent transgressions of 20-year olds. Particularly those whose unpaid participation in this big business is watched by millions of people. The moment we all get off rivals.com, not watch 12 hours of football, not track the college choices of 17 year olds at the same time that the adults determine that this is not a big business and perhaps both Ohio State and Notre Dame don't need TV shows about their practices is the day that I will get back to pining for the good old days of the kids being subservient to their coaches. Just my opinion. I don't mean to be brash. But, I am very uncomfortable making character judgments about kids in situations I never found myself in...and never will find myself in.

He didn't just make an off-hand remark, he made a long, emphatic statement. It may have been rash but it seemed more deliberate than that. I don't see how the coaches can start or perhaps even play him next week after that challenge to their authority. Mack Brown stated that as national champs, teams feel entitled. I can see that with this kid who just saw the Heisman Trophy drift away.

If you are Urban Meyer (salary $6.5 MM) whose job is largely predicated on your ability to beat TSUN and your ability to recruit by acting like you have your kids' backs, I don't see how you discipline him. A heart to heart about media savviness will be in order. Perhaps a PR-approved non-apology. But, I would look for Mr. Elliott to be the featured back as OSU tries to worm its way into the playoff...which, while unlikely, is possible if Penn State plays a spoiler role...or some combination of MSU (Iowa), UNC (Clemson), Florida ('Bama), Stanford (ND), OK. State (Oklahoma) play spoiler roles. ** I will say one last thing: When you add up Kain Colter, Ed O'Bannon, Jeffrey Kessler, Pinkel / Missouri, there is a recognition that though the players are not paid...they have WAY more power and control than they previously thought.

Here is the dilemma, as I see it: A 20-year old kid said something somewhat immature in front of a scrum of 20 reporters, microphones and cameras after a difficult loss. There also happens to be approximately 10 million Ohioans who agree with him. Who among us has not over-reacted or said something a bit rash at that age? I am going to forgive a lot of minor, non-violent transgressions of 20-year olds. Particularly those whose unpaid participation in this big business is watched by millions of people. The moment we all get off rivals.com, not watch 12 hours of football, not track the college choices of 17 year olds at the same time that the adults determine that this is not a big business and perhaps both Ohio State and Notre Dame don't need TV shows about their practices is the day that I will get back to pining for the good old days of the kids being subservient to their coaches. Just my opinion. I don't mean to be brash. But, I am very uncomfortable making character judgments about kids in situations I never found myself in...and never will find myself in.
With one exception, well put Dugan. However, your unpaid participation comment is bullshit. Zeke receives goods and services worth well in excess of $100,000 a year. That doesn't even count the value of the "stage" OSU and the BIG provide him. How do you place a value on that? Not bad for a young, immature punk who is known on campus for being WAY OVER THE TOP too full of himself.

GOUNUII

I'm kinda with you Dugan. He may owe the coaches and team an apology but I regret the thread I started after yesterday's game and we won. I'm three times his age and should be more restrained and less invested.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT