ADVERTISEMENT

Fall from Grace, BTN or NU?

stpaulcat

Gold Member
May 29, 2001
St. Paul
Where's the problem, BTN or NU? How quickly they forget, or how quickly we forget what it took to turn NU into a defensive powerhouse. Six channels in Minnesota and ALL of them carrying the Penn State Villanova game. One would think they could squeeze out one measly channel for NU. I guess this is what happens when you take one of the best defenses in the nation and turn it back into what it was 9 years ago. Something isn't computing here.

Where's the problem, BTN or NU? How quickly they forget, or how quickly we forget what it took to turn NU into a defensive powerhouse. Six channels in Minnesota and ALL of them carrying the Penn State Villanova game. One would think they could squeeze out one measly channel for NU. I guess this is what happens when you take one of the best defenses in the nation and turn it back into what it was 9 years ago. Something isn't computing here.
Fitz is fielding an unwatchable team this year.

Same thing in Maryland. Three Xfinity BTN channels - all Penn State and Villanova. I am thinking of getting rid of the BTN premium. All I can figure is BTN wants you to get the mobile app or some other way to make you pay more. Very upset with BTN coverage.

Just to add insult to injury, WGN Radio this year does not allow streaming in my "area". I tried both Xfinity cable and AT&T satellite. I have no idea what is up. Ended up watching the Gamecast feed on ESPN. That only worked half the time.

i gave up DirecTV when I moved to Hilton Head. I now have Fubo TV. It has a great selection of sports networks, NU game was on BTN. PSU game was also available. I augment coverage with ESPN+ and Peacock for $5/month each for rugby coverage

$69.95 for 170 channels and up to 10 separate devices
. My internet speed is 500 so no buffering. You can watch on phone or iPad if you are traveling

Month to month ,no long term commitment

i gave up DirecTV when I moved to Hilton Head. I now have Fubo TV. It has a great selection of sports networks, NU game was on BTN. PSU game was also available. I augment coverage with ESPN+ and Peacock for $5/month each for rugby coverage

. My internet speed is 500 so no buffering. You can watch on phone or iPad if you are traveling

Is Fubo TV cable, satellite or on the internet, and need a smart TV? I'm old school.

I was just wanting to record the game on BTN, but ended up listening to as much of it as I could in my car on Sirius radio, on some obscure channel that maybe picked up the game because it was Ohio? /S

Same thing in Maryland. Three Xfinity BTN channels - all Penn State and Villanova.
Did you try the BTN game finder on their website? I'm in Northern Virginia and I couldn't find the game at first, but when I tried the Xfinity channel numbers that the game finder suggested, I found the game. Granted, it was in the system as "Villanova at Penn State," but it was our game. Dame thing happened a couple weeks ago. I don't know if it's laziness or what, but even though our game is often mislabeled, it's usually there, even if you can't find it via search or voice remote.

Did you try the BTN game finder on their website? I'm in Northern Virginia and I couldn't find the game at first, but when I tried the Xfinity channel numbers that the game finder suggested, I found the game. Granted, it was in the system as "Villanova at Penn State," but it was our game. Dame thing happened a couple weeks ago. I don't know if it's laziness or what, but even though our game is often mislabeled, it's usually there, even if you can't find it via search or voice remote.

No, I checked the labeling early before the game and didn't go back to check. Damn.

The good news is most people weren’t able to see BTN’s livestream of Evan Hull puking. I did not need to see the spit and everything. Ugh.

@techtim72 The Varsity Network app is new this year from Learfield, and is the only way to stream the WGN feed. It’s a good app.

My TV feed published every game as Nova-PSU, but NU was the high-priority first alternate feed. Respect for the division champs.

Reactions: techtim72

You Tube TV seems to have the Cats every week regardless of the network carrying them that week. They have a 3-month special at $55. Since I don't have cable or dish, it is a nice source for other channels, too.

I went with You Tube TV, too. Got rid of Direct TV back in February, and was without all TV until the MSU opener.

StPaul, I'm a tech moron like you, and You Tube TV has turned out to be a good move. Here's what I've learned since I started using it:

1) Don't need a smart TV. I don't even use my TV, I just watch the games either on my small 15" lap top screen, or I also have a desk top 27" flat screen that connects to my lap top by USB cable. The guy at Best Buy told me I CAN use my non-smart TV to watch the games, via my lap top, but I haven't even tried to do that yet. My favorite recliner is in different room than the TV, so I'm good.

2) You just need internet in your house (or on your device) to get You Tube TV. Its also VERY easy to find the games. I just select the "sports" icon, and then type in Northwestern football... and it shows you the upcoming NU game options. You can also select to have every NU game saved automatically to watch when you're ready. The BTN is in the basic package ($55/mo promo offer), so if you're into watching Revver, DiNardo and all the game coverage, its right there for you.

3) I basically use You Tube TV to watch NU games, my local 10:00 news, and a couple other cable news shows. (You Tube has almost everything you can think of available to you with their basic package). It was easy to set up to "library" those shows (they automatically record by You Tube DVR), and the Library is easy to find the recordings when you do want to watch them.

4) If I can figure out how to use You Tube TV easily, anybody can. Its basically MountainDrew proof. :)

That might be the way for you to go. You can do a free ten day trial, also. I plan to use it till the end of the football season, and then dump it till next season.

Last edited:

Is Fubo TV cable, satellite or on the internet, and need a smart TV? I'm old school.
Fubo TV is a streaming service. You will obviously need internet and a TV with an HDMI jack. Buy a ROKU device $29.95 to $79.95. plug it into your HDMI jack and you are ready to receive all streaming channels. Fubo has all the conference networks, local networks and popular channels that you will ever need.

I had DirecTV for 30 years with 16 receivers in my house. I believed it could not be beat but the streaming services will relegate DirecTV to the same fate as the Edsel. I was spending close to $500/month on D'TV but Fubo has the content that I need at $69.95/month except for the NFL package. Fubo will not be bothered by thunderstorms , rain or snow. Fubo picture quality is 4K with the only drawback , a less than intuitive guide

The ROKU device will let you access other streaming channels-Apple TV, Netflix, Prime TV etc -these are at additional cost

Any TV less than 10 years old will have an HDMI jack-usually more than one

Fubo TV is a streaming service. You will obviously need internet and a TV with an HDMI jack. Buy a ROKU device $29.95 to $79.95. plug it into your HDMI jack and you are ready to receive all streaming channels. Fubo has all the conference networks, local networks and popular channels that you will ever need.

The ROKU device will let you access other streaming channels-Apple TV, Netflix, Prime TV etc -these are at additional cost.

St Paul, You Tube TV is the same type of alternative as Fubo - its a streaming service (which I forgot to mention). Its cable TV on the internet, without the cable contract, and for much less $$. You get fewer channels, but not much fewer. If you google "tv streaming services", you'll find You Tube TV, Fubo, Sling, Hulu and one or two others... but not all of them have CFB or any sports. To watch all the Cats games, You Tube and Fubo are probably the best picks, depending on what else you like to watch.

One last thing - if you want to watch the game on your big screen TV then I think you need the ROKU device Doc is talking about above. If you're like me and are happy watching it on your lap top screen or the 27" flat screen I plug into my lap top (with USB cable), then you don't need the ROKU.

Fubo is more sports oriented package than YouTube TV. Otherwise they are very similar options. I picked YouTubeTV because of the $55/mo promo price, and I think they keep what you record much longer than Fubo does.

Last edited:
Reactions: rmndcat
St Paul, You Tube TV is the same type of alternative as Fubo - its a streaming service (which I forgot to mention). Its cable TV on the internet, without the cable contract, and for much less $$. You get fewer channels, but not much fewer. If you google "tv streaming services", you'll find You Tube TV, Fubo, Sling, Hulu and one or two others... but not all of them have CFB or any sports. To watch all the Cats games, You Tube and Fubo are probably the best picks, depending on what else you like to watch.

One last thing - if you want to watch the game on your big screen TV then I think you need the ROKU device Doc is talking about above. If you're like me and are happy watching it on your lap top screen or the 27" flat screen I plug into my lap top (with USB cable), then you don't need the ROKU.

Fubo is more sports oriented package than YouTube TV. Otherwise they are very similar options. I picked YouTubeTV because of the $55/mo promo price, and I think they keep what you record much longer than Fubo does.
Thank you Docrugby and Mountaindrew.

Reactions: mountaindrew
My Fubo plan allows 1000 hours of recording.

I believe you can get a free trial

With cabling, you can run the stream from a laptop or even cellphone onto a conventional t.v. The cable replaces the Roku.

Reactions: stpaulcat

I had DirecTV for 30 years with 16 receivers in my house. I believed it could not be beat but the streaming services will relegate DirecTV to the same fate as the Edsel. I was spending close to $500/month on D'TV but Fubo has the content that I need at $69.95/month except for the NFL package. Fubo will not be bothered by thunderstorms , rain or snow. Fubo picture quality is 4K with the only drawback , a less than intuitive guide

The ROKU device will let you access other streaming channels-Apple TV, Netflix, Prime TV etc -these are at additional cost

Any TV less than 10 years old will have an HDMI jack-usually more than one

Doc, thanks. I am reasonably savvy on all this stuff but the one wall I run into is my wife insists on access to all the major local channels. Cable provides this but streaming services don't - at least as far as I have been able to determine. Everyone then says get an antenna but ta-dah, in the DC area several of the major local network channels do not provide a signal. Don't ask me how or why since I don't recall right this second, but they have a legal way to avoid broadcasting on commonly available frequencies. So for the delta between Xfinity streaming vs say Fubo, I live with it. I have used various antenna and hit a wall every time.

Doc, thanks. I am reasonably savvy on all this stuff but the one wall I run into is my wife insists on access to all the major local channels. Cable provides this but streaming services don't - at least as far as I have been able to determine. Everyone then says get an antenna but ta-dah, in the DC area several of the major local network channels do not provide a signal. Don't ask me how or why since I don't recall right this second, but they have a legal way to avoid broadcasting on commonly available frequencies. So for the delta between Xfinity streaming vs say Fubo, I live with it. I have used various antenna and hit a wall every time.
I switched from DirecTV to YouTube TV this month. I have all of the desired local channels but one - WGN channel 9. Here in Chicago they appear to be the only major local channel not to have reached a carriage agreement with YTT.

I would suggest individually checking the various streaming services for local channels in your area.

Another vote from my end for YouTube TV, which I've advocated for around here going back a couple of years now (since I gave DirecTV the straight-arm into the turf).

Less cost, less hassle, accessible from any Smart TV or HDMI connected device (e.g. Roku, AppleTV, Amazon Fire, etc.) to a TV (or a computer, tablet, smart phone, etc.) with most of the key Sports Nets (excepting Pac-12 and Longhorn Networks). Plus, you do get the local tv stations and unlimited DVR (at no additional charge).

When the Cats game played on the B1G Network yesterday, YouTube TV carried both games. I've never not been able to watch a Wildcats game on YouTube TV.

Another vote from my end for YouTube TV, which I've advocated for around here going back a couple of years now (since I gave DirecTV the straight-arm into the turf).

Less cost, less hassle, accessible from any Smart TV or HDMI connected device (e.g. Roku, AppleTV, Amazon Fire, etc.) to a TV (or a computer, tablet, smart phone, etc.) with most of the key Sports Nets (excepting Pac-12 and Longhorn Networks). Plus, you do get the local tv stations and unlimited DVR (at no additional charge).

When the Cats game played on the B1G Network yesterday, YouTube TV carried both games. I've never not been able to watch a Wildcats game on YouTube TV.

A counterbalance to the television travails of the Northwestern diaspora: I live 12 minutes from the Villanova campus and football stadium. Yes, the Penn State-Villanova game was on the main BTN channel, but the Cats were on the alternate channel (830 on Verizon FIOS). I should add that the GUIDE listing on my cable showed the Penn State game on all three BTN supplemental stations, but fortunately that proved to be wrong.

Just to add insult to injury, WGN Radio this year does not allow streaming in my "area". I tried both Xfinity cable and AT&T satellite. I have no idea what is up. Ended up watching the Gamecast feed on ESPN. That only worked half the time.
techtim72,

WGN has suspended streaming Dave's coverage over the Internet themselves due to some contractual matters and I don't see it coming back in the future. He is still available on live radio in the Chicago area, but that doesn't help the rest of us.

However, it's very easy to get the WGN coverage with Dave over the Internet with a new source and sync it with the TV picture regardless of how you get that picture. You now have to use The Varsity Network to get the audio feed. I posted those instructions earlier at the beginning of the season. Here is the link:

https://northwestern.forums.rivals....anet-instead-of-terrible-tv-announcers.58240/

And you don't really have to read the first part of that thread if you don't care about it. You can skip directly to Post #41 to see how to get Dave's game coverage.

You can get virtually any college game on The Varsity Network and I suggest that you try something in advance of the next Cats game just to make sure you know how to do it. Then you won't be left at the last minute trying for our game. It isn't difficult, but you still need to learn how to do it.

And it is well worth the effort. Listening to Dave and Ted covering the Cats versus the TV network announcer is like night and day.

techtim72,

WGN has suspended streaming Dave's coverage over the Internet themselves due to some contractual matters and I don't see it coming back in the future. He is still available on live radio in the Chicago area, but that doesn't help the rest of us.

However, it's very easy to get the WGN coverage with Dave over the Internet with a new source and sync it with the TV picture regardless of how you get that picture. You now have to use The Varsity Network to get the audio feed. I posted those instructions earlier at the beginning of the season. Here is the link:

https://northwestern.forums.rivals....anet-instead-of-terrible-tv-announcers.58240/

And you don't really have to read the first part of that thread if you don't care about it. You can skip directly to Post #41 to see how to get Dave's game coverage.

You can get virtually any college game on The Varsity Network and I suggest that you try something in advance of the next Cats game just to make sure you know how to do it. Then you won't be left at the last minute trying for our game. It isn't difficult, but you still need to learn how to do it.

And it is well worth the effort. Listening to Dave and Ted covering the Cats versus the TV network announcer is like night and day.

Already downloaded. Gracias.

More like it is what happens when the perennial power gets it's crap together and starts playing well , is the top team in the conference, and we are up against them for eyeballs. We are likely gonna lose

• Sad
Reactions: stpaulcat
One thing I notices is that when we have played a couple games we were on an overflow channel and then they don't even do the 60 minute version during the week

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT