ADVERTISEMENT

Feel bad for Thor

FanatiCat

May 29, 2001
Getting nearly hammered in every dropback, WRs dropping balls left and right, a pick that’s not his fault and his top 2 WRs out for the game. Heck if Utah scored before halftime I wouldn’t blame them for just pulling Thorson and calling it a day before he gets hurt.

BS. He’s had many many chances to make plays, big plays, and hasn’t. Missing McGowin wide open down the middle. Reading the hot read NEVER on a blitz. Pointless to argue it here. If you’re right, he’ll be drafted high as GMs will see how good he was and was held back. When he’s 6th round or later.....

Teams CAN blitz him with abandon BECAUSE he can’t pick it up and beat them. If you have to worry that the QB is smart enough to pick up the coverage and from where the blitz is coming and beat you, you stop blitzing. Thorson can’t make the hot read and force them to stop, so he’s blitzed over and over again.

Last edited:
Many chances? not quite. He’s missed a few plays but on the majority of plays he is getting no help.

We are getting beat on both lines. Reverse that and our skill players would look a lot better to all of you.

Reactions: hoosboot
Many chances? not quite. He’s missed a few plays but on the majority of plays he is getting no help.
But he is incapable of making the big play the team needs to give them a boost. We've seen it his entire career. He is a big, athletic kid with some skills, but just hasn't developed between the ears to play QB at an elite level. Maybe some NFL coach can develop him, but I don't think so. Not sure if he gets drafted, but wouldn't be shocked if he isn't.

BS. He’s had many many chances to make plays, big plays, and hasn’t. Missing McGowin wide open down the middle. Reading the hot read NEVER on a blitz. Pointless to argue it here. If you’re right, he’ll be drafted high as GMs will see how good he was and was held back. When he’s 6th round or later.....

Teams CAN blitz him with abandon BECAUSE he can’t pick it up and beat them. If you have to worry that the QB is smart enough to pick up the coverage and from where the blitz is coming and beat you, you stop blitzing. Thorson can’t make the hot read and force them to stop, so he’s blitzed over and over again.
He’s had more dropped passes by his WRs than missed targets. The one to McGowan was bad and could have been big one I agree. As for the “hot read,” how sure are you that the hot read has actually been there since our WRs have so much trouble getting open? And on a few plays he can’t even finish his dropback to look for the checkdown.

But he is incapable of making the big play the team needs to give them a boost. We've seen it his entire career. He is a big, athletic kid with some skills, but just hasn't developed between the ears to play QB at an elite level. Maybe some NFL coach can develop him, but I don't think so. Not sure if he gets drafted, but wouldn't be shocked if he isn't.

He needs an OL that can hold their blocks for 2-3 seconds. Right now he is not getting that. He is not a Qb with the mobility to make him a dual threat, like Utah’s QB. That is not his fault.

Reactions: IGNORE2
Thorson has helped us win 35 games, two bowls and a division title....AND he chose to finish this season with his teammates unlike some other guys on other teams this bowl season. Whatever happens, kudos to him, and good luck going forward.

He needs an OL that can hold their blocks for 2-3 seconds. Right now he is not getting that. He is not a Qb with the mobility to make him a dual threat, like Utah’s QB. That is not his fault.
This is true. It would be interesting to see how he'd play with a decent line. Its hard to really evaluate Clayton.

With the deficiencies in our OLine, I don't know how to begin to evaluate CT or McCall or our RBs.

Getting nearly hammered in every dropback, WRs dropping balls left and right, a pick that’s not his fault and his top 2 WRs out for the game. Heck if Utah scored before halftime I wouldn’t blame them for just pulling Thorson and calling it a day before he gets hurt.
huh?
No. Just no. He needs to suck it up and lead his team back. Knock it off with the whole soccer mom mentality.

His reads are bad

Reactions: BFDCat
Thorson has helped us win 35 games, two bowls and a division title....AND he chose to finish this season with his teammates unlike some other guys on other teams this bowl season. Whatever happens, kudos to him, and good luck going forward.
why would he choose to sit the game out? I thought he wanted to improve a possible draft position?

why would he choose to sit the game out? I thought he wanted to improve a possible draft position?
lol. Yea, the negative freaks on this board that wanted to shut down Clayton because they didn't have any confidence that his leadership could bring us back. Sheesh! I try telling people but they don't listen. I avoided this board during the game because I knew most of the pollyannas are emotional freaks. Not sure how someone can feel sorry for Thorson at halftime and want him to hang up his spikes. Crazy!

lol. Yea, the negative freaks on this board that wanted to shut down Clayton because they didn't have any confidence that his leadership could bring us back. Sheesh! I try telling people but they don't listen. I avoided this board during the game because I knew most of the pollyannas are emotional freaks. Not sure how someone can feel sorry for Thorson at halftime and want him to hang up his spikes. Crazy!

The gig is up, man. Just give it a rest.

Lol, another thread of pure entertainment! Sone of you should write 100 times on the blackboard "There are two halves to football games..."
Yeah, I think we've seen way too many times over the past 25 years, nobody should overreact to the first halves of Northwestern games (for good or for bad).

Yet another incredible comeback for the history books. This year has been the most rewarding of all the years I've followed NU football.

Boo, Darth!

Clayton + 1
Darth -1

:>)

Reactions: DarthCat

He is who he is. Which is the leading passer in NU history and the guy who has won more than any other QB in NU history. He is not the most accurate guy all the time, but he's battled through major adversity, has had to play against embarrassing pass protection, and he's a winner, who minus a clunker against Akron would have led us to three 10 win seasons and did lead us to a Big Ten West title, a shot at a B1G title, and three straight bowl victories. He may not be the 1st round (or even 1st day) talent that some homers insisted, but I'm glad he was our QB and it was great to see him not injured and come back out to finish the game. Deservedly.

I do think we are about to have a major upgrade at QB next year, but it says more about who is coming in than who is moving on (at least at QB, no comment for our OL coaching).

Thank you Clayton, and good luck with the next phase of your career, which hopefully has you making a team in the League.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT