ADVERTISEMENT

First game takeaways

Is there anything else you want to complain about? Our cornerbacks are too injury-prone? Skowronek fumbled! Thorson threw an interception! Your first string of posts today are all negative. Geez.

Edit: as I was writing this, sure enough another Negative Willy post already is sitting there. Thorson overthrew the ball. Bench the bum! LOL.

I actually thought Willy was being positive...you know, give the highly recruited frosh kicker a chance because it was only one kick.

Reactions: willycat
Does anyone else recall a barely regarded guy coming out of basically nowhere to have a monster senior year? Too much to ask for Wilson to be like Carr, but having him and Skow not only productive but fighting for the ball was encouraging.

I am concerned that our pass defense may be a train wreck. No pressure at all and a bunch of injured DBs. Their QB missed a few that others might hit.

Every time they said Gangi's pass, I thought of the Ganges river, what a pleasant memory :eek::(

Edit. Forgot to mention, Thorson is a stud. He will only get better. If not for injury concerns, I'd like to see more runs from him

Last edited:
I agree with this and the improvements made in the second half once, they could get a look at what was happening, supports the idea that they needed more information to game plan better.

I would also add that because of the lack of information about this team, NU played "safe" this week. "Safe" is not aggressive and contains without attacking. I want to see NU attacking but I don't think they had the information needed to do that this week.

That's an excellent point and I hadn't heard that. Sounds like two totally desperate line coordinators going at it.

Last edited:
Does anyone else recall a barely regarded guy coming out of basically nowhere to have a monster senior year? Too much to ask for Wilson to be like Carr, but having him and Skow not only productive but fighting for the ball was encouraging.

I am concerned that our pass defense may be a train wreck. No pressure at all and a bunch of injured DBs. Their QB missed a few that others might hit.

Every time they said Gangi's pass, I thought of the Ganges river, what a pleasant memory :eek::(

Edit. Forgot to mention, Thorson is a stud. He will only get better. If not for injury concerns, I'd like to see more runs from him

The problem with him running it is you risk injuries. Runs every now and then to keep the defense honest but if Thorson goes down, this team will lose plenty of games

The problem with him running it is you risk injuries. Runs every now and then to keep the defense honest but if Thorson goes down, this team will lose plenty of games

Which is perhaps why he said "if not for injury concerns."

Is there anything else you want to complain about? Our cornerbacks are too injury-prone? Skowronek fumbled! Thorson threw an interception! Your first string of posts today are all negative. Geez.

Edit: as I was writing this, sure enough another Negative Willy post already is sitting there. Thorson overthrew the ball. Bench the bum! LOL.
Don't be a jerk. I never mentioned the fumble by Skowronski or the interception. I was responding, positively to a post criticizing the freshman FG kicker. Many on here have mentioned the unfortunate injuries to NU's CB's, it's what has happened. Actually respond to what was actually posted or just STFU.

A little discouraging as I expected us to come out firing after last seasons start.

The good news is Clayton looked sharp fir the most part. Had the ball sail on him some, but he gives us a chance to put up points. Still think he might have has 600 yards if play calling wasn't so predictable in e first half.

The OL still has a lot of work to do. Believe it or not they were better in pass pro than run blocking. JJTBC made most of his yards but himself,

Gaz was the only DE I saw do anything out there. Maybe I didn't notice someone that played well. Big Ern may need to burn his shirt.

LB play not good today. Expected a better game from Paddy. Fox looked ok. Nate did a few things, but we need more.

Safety play was pretty good. CB is ravaged and we'll need some guys to return fast or we'll be giving up some big plays. McShep was hurting and probably shouldn't have been out there, but no one else was left. We are in for a long season If we don't get heathy bodies back.

Skowronek and Wilson stepped up . We will be find at WR.

It was better than the first few last year, but still need to be mich better if w expect more than middle of the pack.

FYI, Big Ern did burn his shirt. He's listed on the participation list.

Now that was just about the most asinine statement made in this thread. And that's saying a lot.

O c'mon E-Cat. She took it right out of your Barnett book of delusion. Word for word. Maybe she's a sister from a different mother. I'll give you that.

GOUNUII

As did Pace, McGowan, and others. I'm reading nine freshmen burned their shirts yesterday? Definitely a change in philosophy for Fitz.

I think Willy was actually defending the kicker there...

I thought it looked like Brown broke off his route underneath on CT's interception. Anyone else think the same thing? May be a comfort/repetition issue for those two.

I saw the same thing. Actually, with each of the tree targets to Brown there was a disconnect. Not sure what the issue is, but Thorson and Brown weren't on the same page yesterday.

I saw the same thing. Actually, with each of the tree targets to Brown there was a disconnect. Not sure what the issue is, but Thorson and Brown weren't on the same page yesterday.

The INT was a straight sail, partially due to Thorson being hit. Don't think Brown did anything wrong and had, in fact, gotten pretty good separation.

Brown was open on the first pass, which could have been six. Thorson didn't put enough air under the ball, as Chuck Long noted.

Reactions: harkesnu
Nevada put together an OL that thwarted a B1G DL all day while we played one that could not contain a non P5 DL.

Does Nevada beat us for better recruits? Or identify better talent? Or do a better job of development? Gotta be something. Sucks to wish the crappy low D1 team / coach was in purple. Kinda hard for anyone to offer excuses...but someone will...

I'd love to coach against you, as well.

As did Pace, McGowan, and others. I'm reading nine freshmen burned their shirts yesterday? Definitely a change in philosophy for Fitz.

There were eight on the participation list, including Bergin, a walkon. Pace is not on it. Not sure if that is an oversight or not.

There were eight on the participation list, including Bergin, a walkon. Pace is not on it. Not sure if that is an oversight or not.

Definitely saw Pace covering a kickoff in the fourth quarter.

O c'mon E-Cat. She took it right out of your Barnett book of delusion. Word for word. Maybe she's a sister from a different mother. I'll give you that.

GOUNUII

Sorry, I spoke to soon. Your follow-up post here is even more asinine.

What is so delusional about making a point that after a decade at the helm, Fitz has ZERO championships?

I am hoping he fixes that this year, but it's looking rough if we don't grow some corners on some trees or find them up somewhere. We are down to playing a kid no one ever heard of who came from Robert Morris. I wonder how that will play out against Trace McSorley and the Penn State WRs. Hell, I wonder how that will play out against Duke.

Loved McCall's playcalling. Thorson throws a great deep ball and spread the ball around to 8+ receivers. That doesn't even include Brown, who I think will be a huge part of the offense by the second half of the season. OL was very solid in pass protection, but out of sync in run blocking up the middle.

Yeah, I think the criticism of McCall is more a knee jerk reaction that is related to past performance (circa 2014-15) as opposed to what we saw on the field yesterday.

Clearly Mick tried to get the line confidence by establishing the run early on. When you have Justin Jackson and are facing a highly suspect defense, that's not a bad approach. As the game progressed, McCall adjusted accordingly. I particularly liked his use of Roberts (yay!) to attack the perimeter as well as JJ out of the backfield. There was also an effort to attack Nevada vertically, which is something the 'Cats have struggled with at times. The rest of passing game is what (as you mentioned) we've come to expect over the years. Solid spacing and distribution of the ball.

As the WRs and OL get more accustomed to their roles and the defenses get stiffer, I expect we'll see more RPO's as well as boundary screens being implemented. Considering how the offensive line plays a large role in the effectiveness of those plays (run blocking/can't get more than three yards downfield), their current omission makes sense.

Additional observations: I really enjoyed the TD pass to Lees. That was the same concept that Carr shredded OSU with last season (Colter also ran it quite well back in 2012-13). Riley could stand to be a little sharper with his route running, but all in all, a very encouraging start for the redshirt freshman.

Wilson may be turn out to be an effective deep threat. This would be very good news. Interested to see what Fessler can do on that front too.

Last edited:
The INT was a straight sail, partially due to Thorson being hit. Don't think Brown did anything wrong and had, in fact, gotten pretty good separation.

I agree. Not saying Brown was the issue, just that there was a disconnect between the two.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT