ADVERTISEMENT

First-Half Thread for NU vs. Wisconsin

This display sure convinces me to abandon my plans to drive to Champagne in two weeks.

Reactions: phatcat
Totally clean house. His coaching hires are just awful. Any other D1 program would have already made changes.

So to be specific you would fire Bajakian and O’Neil? Which assistants? Fire strength and conditioning folks as well?

A.J. Hampton is not having a good game out there. Gave up an easy 1st down on a out pattern where he was inexplicably 10 yards downfield from the receiver.

Not that the other guys on D are playing much better.

I will watch the NU's opening drive of the second half to see if Hillinski plays. If they trot Marty out there I will turn the game off.

Reactions: cat inkansas
This team is hilariously bad. Fire everybody not named Fitz
Why? What has Fitz doing to rectify the situation? He canned McCall in 2019, and hired Bajakian. Hankwitz retires, he hires JON. In 2021 we are a bigger joke than 2019. What is the one of the constants in terms of coaching during the 2019-21 period? NU fans supposedly want to win, but you for some reason want to keep a HC that has lost his mojo, or more to the point, passed on hiring some competent coordinators, for buddy hires. Do you think Fitz is going to quit the buddy hires, when he knows the HC job is his for life. People in here need to get real!!! Do you want to actually win or would you rather be mediocre just to keep Northwestern's favorite son. Until Fitzgerald starts hiring the best assistants available, this isn't going to get any better. He also needs to wake up in terms of the offensive philosophy and tailor it for the 21st century. Ball control is not going to win titles in any P5 conference, plus it won't bring in top recruits.And if he doesn't do those things, he needs to be shown the door.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: drewjin
Is that due to the number 1 BS, or simply nobody else?
He earned the start out of camp, lost it sometime late September, then got it back when Fitz announced he was way disappointed with the DLine at halftime of the Minnesota game.

I don’t know the personnel well enough to know who he’s gotten those minutes from.

So to be specific you would fire Bajakian and O’Neil? Which assistants? Fire strength and conditioning folks as well?
The two coordinators for sure. I think they’re the leaders of both of those units. I don’t know enough about the specific position coaches. We appeared to be strong enough last year so I don't know what to say about strength.

Why? What is Fitz doing to rectify the situation? He canned McCall in 2019, and hired Bajakian. Hankwitz retires, he hires JON. In 2021 we are a bigger joke than 2019. What is the one of the constants in terms of coaching during the 2019-21 period? NU fans supposedly want to win, but you for some reason want to keep a HC that has lost his mojo, or more to the point, passed on hiring some competent coordinators, for buddy hires. Do you think Fitz is going to quit the buddy hires, when he knows the HC job is his for life. People in here need to get real!!! Do you want to actually win or would you rather be mediocre just to keep Northwestern's favorite son. Until Fitzgerald starts hiring the best assistants available, this isn't going to get any better. He also needs to wake up in terms of the offensive philosophy and tailor it for the 21st century. Ball control is not going to win titles in any P5 conference, plus it won't bring in top recruits.And if he doesn't do those things, he needs to be shown the door.
Fitz is not getting fired, but would you trust a new AD for such a critical hire??

@Jaguar 88 I am not aware that Bajakian is a buddy hire. I don’t think he is. Is he?
He isn't, but pretty much the majority are. My point is he needs to hire the best available if he wants to build up the program. Coaching is very lacking. Two 3 win seasons following division titles is whack!!! Fitz needs to get his act together!!!!

Fitz is not getting fired, but would you trust a new AD for such a critical hire??
Thats what everyone said about Carmody. BC even thought job for life. Fitz will be fired. Its inevitable. He isnt bigger than a program that now has pressure to win after hundreds of millions was spent and will continue to be spent. NU wants to win. Pat Ryan wants to win. Next year will be awful as well and imo he gets whacked after the 2022 season but he should be fired after this season.

Reactions: Jaguar 88
If he can't rectify the situation, by 2024-25 he should be shown the door. Unless you like bitching about lousy football every fall. Again why should Fitz be deemed untouchable? He is in his 16th season as HC with only 2 division titles to his credit. Barnett had two BIG titles in about half the time. Fitz is way, way too comfortable, and like overly indulgent parents, the fans give him an eternal pass.

He isn't, but pretty much the majority are. My point is he needs to hire the best available if he wants to build up the program. Coaching is very lacking. Two 3 win seasons following division titles is whack!!! Fitz needs to get his act together!!!!
Part of the problem according to Ned is that high profile coordinators dont want to coach w Fitz. Its not the money as the coordinators are paid great.

Thus, Fitz can only hire buddies or up and comers. Most buddy hires are a bad idea. Springer was unemployed but mccalls buddy and given the job even though he never played the position. I think ayeni worked out. Timmy the tackler is our LB coach and his unit is awful.

If he can't rectify the situation, by 2024-25 he should be shown the door. Unless you like bitching about lousy football every fall. Again why should Fitz be deemed untouchable? He is in his 16th season as HC with only 2 division titles to his credit. Barnett had two BIG titles in about half the time. Fitz is way, way too comfortable, and like overly indulgent parents, the fans give him an eternal pass.
Fitz doesn't like losing, and he has made changes in the past when we were losing. He kept McCall longer than some would have preferred when we were winning bowl games and a division title. Then 2019 happened and he was fired.

I am sure Fitz will make changes after the season.

Not happening. Hank kept things together. Without Hank, Fitz has been exposed as a pretender. He is Bob Davie 2.0.
You don't know that. You've had nothing but negative, and often personally negative, things to say about Fitz since you returned to the board. You are definitely not an impartial poster, and it's clear that something happened on a personal level that prevents you from posting objectively.

Fitz doesn't like losing, and he has made changes in the past when we were losing. He kept McCall longer than some would have preferred when we were winning bowl games and a division title. Then 2019 happened and he was fired.

I am sure Fitz will make changes after the season.
I hope so my feline friend. I am not anti Fitz, but the drama over the past 4 seasons does not point to a very stable program that will take the program back to the level reached in 2018 and reach the next one.

Part of the problem according to Ned is that high profile coordinators dont want to coach w Fitz. Its not the money as the coordinators are paid great.

Thus, Fitz can only hire buddies or up and comers. Most buddy hires are a bad idea. Springer was unemployed but mccalls buddy and given the job even though he never played the position. I think ayeni worked out. Timmy the tackler is our LB coach and his unit is awful.
Ayeni is probably the only one that has.

I think he has to be willing to fire JON after one season. I understand some of it is on loss of talent but there will always be ups and downs in talent level at NU and a great DC will be able to maximize what he has like Hank did.

Bajakian, I don’t know about. He did a good job last year installing an offense with a new QB in the midst of COVID restrictions. So maybe that got him a pass for this year. But if by next year he has not developed a QB and we are still at the bottom in scoring offense then he’s got to go too.

Ayeni is probably the only one that has.

Who is Ned?

Reactions: drewjin
You don't know that. You've had nothing but negative, and often personally negative, things to say about Fitz since you returned to the board. You are definitely not an impartial poster, and it's clear that something happened on a personal level that prevents you from posting objectively.
Im just pointing to the scoreboard. I dont think Ive personally attacked anyone. Fitz is exposed without Hank. Period. Its raw data. Thats all I know. Data alone. If you can present any evidence to suggest the data is wrong then Im all ears.
Until then, say hello to Santa for me. Lol
Edit: the only reason fitz is coaching today is because its NU. Another thread had 100% of all posters agree that he would have been whacked at any other program. So dont single me out when its fine for everyone else to admit he would be held more accountable elsewhere.

Im just pointing to the scoreboard. I dont think Ive personally attacked anyone. Fitz is exposed without Hank. Period. Its raw data. Thats all I know. Data alone. If you can present any evidence to suggest the data is wrong then Im all ears.
Until then, say hello to Santa for me. Lol
Fitz hired Hank.

You're making claims of things being inevitable, but that's not something you can know.

Fitz hired Hank.

You're making claims of things being inevitable, but that's not something you can know.
Im not disputing the equation and supporting data of Fitz + Hank = Success.
Im using data post Hank and concluding that Fitz is exposed now. The data is convincing.

Fitz is not capable. He needs a Top coach to work through his inadequacy.

Im not disputing the equation and supporting data of Fitz + Hank = Success.
Im using data post Hank and concluding that Fitz is exposed now. The data is convincing.

Fitz is not capable. He needs a Top coach to work through his inadequacy.
Then let's see what changes Fitz makes in the off-season.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT