ADVERTISEMENT

First-Half Thread for NU vs. Wisconsin

Why? What has Fitz doing to rectify the situation? He canned McCall in 2019, and hired Bajakian. Hankwitz retires, he hires JON. In 2021 we are a bigger joke than 2019. What is the one of the constants in terms of coaching during the 2019-21 period? NU fans supposedly want to win, but you for some reason want to keep a HC that has lost his mojo, or more to the point, passed on hiring some competent coordinators, for buddy hires. Do you think Fitz is going to quit the buddy hires, when he knows the HC job is his for life. People in here need to get real!!! Do you want to actually win or would you rather be mediocre just to keep Northwestern's favorite son. Until Fitzgerald starts hiring the best assistants available, this isn't going to get any better. He also needs to wake up in terms of the offensive philosophy and tailor it for the 21st century. Ball control is not going to win titles in any P5 conference, plus it won't bring in top recruits.And if he doesn't do those things, he needs to be shown the door.
YES!

Fitz doesn't like losing, and he has made changes in the past when we were losing. He kept McCall longer than some would have preferred when we were winning bowl games and a division title. Then 2019 happened and he was fired.

I am sure Fitz will make changes after the season.
How long did he wait to let Cushing go. Answer...WAY to LONG!

Reactions: drewjin
Then let's see what changes Fitz makes in the off-season.
I hate waiting until the “offseason”. Other teams are making changes now. We hire someone in the off-season we will then have the excuse that they just came on board and that we only had a couple months to make changes. We know it’s broken, fix it now. We want to complete with other programs this has to be done.

Reactions: drewjin
How long did he wait to let Cushing go. Answer...WAY to LONG!
Yes but at least we were winning games.

Keep that in mind. Regardless of the complaints about Cushing/McCall, at least we were winning games.

This is the worst team we've had in decades. That's the difference. We look uncompetitive against most of the Big Ten.

I hate waiting until the “offseason”. Other teams are making changes now. We hire someone in the off-season we will then have the excuse that they just came on board and that we only had a couple months to make changes. We know it’s broken, fix it now. We want to complete with other programs this has to be done.
There are two games left. We're not fixing anything by replacing the staff now. Running around like chickens with their heads cut off does nothing but allow people to claim that they did "something" whether or not it accomplished anything.

Let's use the off-season to make the right hires and let Fitz find softer landing spots for those he cuts loose.

Reactions: zeek55
There are two games left. We're not fixing anything by replacing the staff now. Running around like chickens with their heads cut off does nothing but allow people to claim that they did "something" whether or not it accomplished anything.
See Florida. Fired some coaches last week and then gave up a record # of points at the half to Samford followed by an FCS record 52 total points against an SEC team.

I agree; doubt firing people accomplishes anything right now.

Reactions: FeralFelidae
Yes but at least we were winning games.

Keep that in mind. Regardless of the complaints about Cushing/McCall, at least we were winning games.

This is the worst team we've had in decades. That's the difference. We look uncompetitive against most of the Big Ten.
This is the part of the collapse of the program this year that is of the most concern to me, that the program has gone from competing for the BigTen championship to getting blown out in a majority of the BigTen games this season. Being non-competitive in a majority of BT games I think has crossed a line for most NU fans. The other red flag indicator for fans is the effort/attitude/effort on the field is lacking. The Cardiac Cats of days gone by have disappeared into the mist. The offense continually kills scoring opportunities with fumbles, interceptions and penalties at key points. We have the worst red zone scoring offense in the BigTen. The defense can’t tackle. We can’t even get on the board with a short field goal attempt. The games have become painful to watch. We have a new administrative leadership with a new college president and new athletic director. I wonder if “standing Pat” in the off-season will be an acceptable option to a program in free-fall fall from the previous season and has become non-completive in most Big Ten conference games. I think being competitive is a pretty low bar for fans, and the program has easily dipped below it with what we are seeing on the field game after game. This program has lost the confidence of its fans, if not also the confidence of its players.

Reactions: zeek55 and NUCat320
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT