ADVERTISEMENT

Fitz, King of the misdirection.

Purple Pile Driver

Gold Member
May 14, 2014
Anywhere but the Rant Board
OSU looked unstoppable Saturday, we lose by 20+ if they throw that game out there. Cats looked very very average at best against the Fighting Lovies, we lose by 20+ if we throw that game out there.

However, Fitz just might be crazy like a Fox. Handcuffed his Coordinators to the point that they could do next to nothing but telegraph ever play and just rely on winning with a D3 scheme. Even when they were rolling in the first, showed little new. Doc didn’t even try to confuse Bush and the play calling in the 4th-eeeeeeghad.

OSU is responding to questions of how much they are going to win by versus will they win. They are saying the right things, but I have to think deep down they expect to do worse to us than they did to Mighty Blue. Fitz, is playing the no one expects us to win card and he has intentionally assisted with the narrative by doing barely enough to win. Hell, he believes in the approach so much that he was willing to lose to the Lovies if necessary.

If we pull off the upset, Fitz will have played the situation like a fine fiddle. I would be shocked if we don’t see something completely new at some point in the game. The stubbornness many of us belly ache about with Fitz (including me) may come home to be the exact trait that brings NU to the promised land. Not only does this game have a chance to be program defining, but it has a chance to be Fitz defining.

Fitz apparently told the defense, right before the last Fighting Lovies drive, to let them drive to the red zone before intercepting Bush. Evil genius. Then Moten screwed up part II of the plan with his 3rd down run, when Fitz had told him to trip and fall.

The only more genius move would have been to allow the Lovies to tie, and then nip them in multiple overtimes. Fitz will learn.

Of course they have 12 games of tape to look at it. However, it would be nice to throw something unique into the mix much like we did against Kentucky not that that is the play I would recommend LOL.

Reactions: kreggk and phatcat
I cant argue with results, but I am tired of the cloak and dagger, and think it has no effect. You think dOSU might, um, look at the film of previous games?

They should look at the Akron and Rutgers games.

I cant argue with results, but I am tired of the cloak and dagger, and think it has no effect. You think dOSU might, um, look at the film of previous games?
Fair point.

Wisconsin/ND/Iowa/Minnesota are probably the games most representative of what we look like Saturday.

Some of those teams locked down Nagel and Bowser had good days.

I think Bowser will have a big day, and Thorson will keep them off balance with quick crossing routes (please lead the receiver with your throw, Elite Clayton) and the occasional 20+ throw to Skowronek and Jefferson.

It is better for us psychologically that dOSU destroyed Michigan. They will be feeling real good about themselves, and making plans for something similar against NU. But like the philosopher Michael Tyson said, "Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." NU will come out swinging.

Of course they have 12 games of tape to look at it. However, it would be nice to throw something unique into the mix much like we did against Kentucky not that that is the play I would recommend LOL.
Did you see the trick play the Colts used with Andrew Luck, where he was diving in the end zone as a receiver?? My head about exploded. Luck missed all of 2017 with a significant tear of the labrum in his throwing arm. Diving with arms outstretched is about the last thing you want him to do (other than play with fireworks).

Did you see the trick play the Colts used with Andrew Luck, where he was diving in the end zone as a receiver?? My head about exploded. Luck missed all of 2017 with a significant tear of the labrum in his throwing arm. Diving with arms outstretched is about the last thing you want him to do (other than play with fireworks).

It had been ordained that someone had to make one really dumb play with a recovering QB on that field this week. Andrew Luck, who almost picked NU, was just doing us a solid so we didn't have to worry about taking care of it.

Fitz apparently told the defense, right before the last Fighting Lovies drive, to let them drive to the red zone before intercepting Bush. Evil genius. Then Moten screwed up part II of the plan with his 3rd down run, when Fitz had told him to trip and fall.

The only more genius move would have been to allow the Lovies to tie, and then nip them in multiple overtimes. Fitz will learn.
He wasn’t that concerned if NU won. Completely shut down after the first drive of the half.

We’ll see. If we are plain vanilla all game you will be right. I contend that the game was managed with this week in mind. Fitz said himself he stopped Doc and McCall from doing anything.

My guess is that nothing is sacred when it comes to play calling on Saturday.

Agreed. That approach only seems give us outcomes from Illinois State to Akron. We don't play down to our competition so much as we tend to plan down.

No one should have to reach for low hanging fruit on their knees.

Maybe Meyer had his team play lackluster in multiple games, and even purposely lose to Purdue by 29, just so he could out misdirect the King of Misdirection!

I don’t think any coach is going to keep his team from executing its best. 12 games into the season, there’s no reason not to run the normal offense and defense. Of course special plays or personnel packages could be saved, starters could be taken out early, and the players themselves might not approach a game with the same intensity if a guaranteed Championship Game is around the corner.

Maybe Meyer had his team play lackluster in multiple games, and even purposely lose to Purdue by 29, just so he could out misdirect the King of Misdirection!

I don’t think any coach is going to keep his team from executing its best. 12 games into the season, there’s no reason not to run the normal offense and defense. Of course special plays or personnel packages could be saved, starters could be taken out early, and the players themselves might not approach a game with the same intensity if a guaranteed Championship Game is around the corner.
If you believe that, you must not have watched our game against Illinois on Saturday...

I'm not saying it was smart, but we used about the most vanilla and predictable game plan one could possibly imagine. I think the players executed with their best effort, but it was a slightly weird experience to watch. And he admitted as much in terms of the strategy in his postgame interviews.

Reactions: Purple Pile Driver
If you believe that, you must not have watched our game against Illinois on Saturday...

I'm not saying it was smart, but we used about the most vanilla and predictable game plan one could possibly imagine. I think the players executed with their best effort, but it was a slightly weird experience to watch. And he admitted as much in terms of the strategy in his postgame interviews.
Yes, it could not have been more obvious.

It was so bad NU got booed in a victory on Senior Day. (Or, perhaps, brilliant.) Just the way they drew it up.

Reactions: ricko654321
Didn’t throw any looks at the QB to confuse him th entire game. Did zero on O after the first drive in the second half, my good man.
That's good? Wonder if the practices are open to the public this week? Reporters? Barnett let all in on the Rose Bowl practices in Evanston. Then again they lost, so...

That's good? Wonder if the practices are open to the public this week? Reporters? Barnett let all in on the Rose Bowl practices in Evanston. Then again they lost, so...
Damn that Barnett. Those practices probably disclosed our secrets we had for containing the USC QB and Keyshawn. (Yes, I was the one yelling for him to go pro at halftime). Oh well, I am glad that Fitz did not reveal to OSU any looks designed to confuse the Illini QB, because OSU has likely never seen such looks before. That's the stuff COY is made of.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT