ADVERTISEMENT

Fitz statement

That’s exactly what a true leader and great manager should say in the face of short term adversity. If you let negativity seep in at all and infect the program, it’s over. A skilled leader will use the outside negativity to rally his people to prove people wrong. That’s exactly what Fitz has done successfully over and over again. NU should hire Fitz to teach a course on leadership.

That’s exactly what a true leader and great manager should say in the face of short term adversity. If you let negativity seep in at all and infect the program, it’s over. A skilled leader will use the outside negativity to rally his people to prove people wrong. That’s exactly what Fitz has done successfully over and over again. NU should hire Fitz to teach a course on leadership.
I think they have already hired him to teach a "course" on leadership.

Stole that line from FLOTUS.....

melania_trump_dont_care_jacket_embed.jpg

Reactions: rmndcat and IGNORE
That's... pretty disappointing.

Disappointing? I loved it from start to finish. There is nothing he said that I disagreed with. His main focus is keeping the team focused and ready to respond rather than engaging in negativity, finger pointing and excuse making. That’s how things get turned around and winning cultures get built. I think The “woe is me” comment was very telling as it relates to personnel decisions that were made during the game. Messages are being sent.

Disappointing? I loved it from start to finish. There is nothing he said that I disagreed with. His main focus is keeping the team focused and ready to respond rather than engaging in negativity, finger pointing and excuse making. That’s how things get turned around and winning cultures get built. I think The “woe is me” comment was very telling as it relates to personnel decisions that were made during the game. Messages are being sent.

“We need to be better.”

That would’ve been easy.

Reactions: mikero3
“We need to be better.”

That would’ve been easy.

He said that multiple times. Did you listen to the entire press conference?

Fitz’s feistiness is calculated. He wants the ire of the fans and the media to be on him rather than the players and coaches. He wants those guys focused on getting better without focusing on the external distractions. Classic move of a strong leader.

It was his typical ego maniac driven press conference where he always accepts the least amount of the criticism after a loss. He will say something on the order of “we have to coach better”, but gets all snotty when asked about the game plan. Acting like it was a perfect game plan. Even saying we ran the ball well...wait what? Is he counting the 4th qtr when MSU knew we gave up?
His hatred of the media, fans and star ratings come out every time.
Good thing he had all those closed practices as things are so different than we all thought they would be.

Reactions: willycat

Fitz’s feistiness is calculated. He wants the ire of the fans and the media to be on him rather than the players and coaches. He wants those guys focused on getting better without focusing on the external distractions. Classic move of a strong leader.

Sounded like he was shitting on Hunter Johnson and when he talks about execution he seems to be squarely blaming the players and not the savant-level game planning they put together each week

And I’m the one usually accused of carrying water for the coaches... Eesh...

One thing is for sure as I watched the video is that Fitz is pissed off. There are a lot of different ways to motivate people. Some Football coaches are on you ass every second with criticism and profanity. I think Fitz ramps it up and down depending on what he thinks is needed. I think he is ramping it up right now. Maybe Wisconsin will be surprised with the fire Nu comes out with, maybe the team will quit. I intend to watch the game.

It was his typical ego maniac driven press conference where he always accepts the least amount of the criticism after a loss. He will say something on the order of “we have to coach better”, but gets all snotty when asked about the game plan. Acting like it was a perfect game plan. Even saying we ran the ball well...wait what? Is he counting the 4th qtr when MSU knew we gave up?
His hatred of the media, fans and star ratings come out every time.
Good thing he had all those closed practices as things are so different than we all thought they would be.

When the light goes on for HJ and he begins to realize his rare talent I don’t think his private thoughts about Fitz will have any semblance to your comments about his head coach.

GOUNUII

If you are insinuating that Hunter Johnson had a "woe is me" attitude, that's some reckless speculation.

At the same time, it would be hard to blame him. Surrounded by receivers that can't get open (he places the ball perfectly with defenders draped all over them), an offensive line that's penalty-prone and can't get any push at the goal line, and an offensive coordinator who can't seem to come up with wrinkles to catch the opposing team off guard or play to his personnel.

There has to be some accountability across the board. Hunter was held accountable for knowing the playbook better via the QB competition all summer. What evidence is there that his offensive counterparts, or his offensive coordinator, are similarly held to the highest standards?

Reactions: NUCats
I'm not sure Hunter was that accurate. I re-watched the entire game and found eight of the 26 passes he threw were off Target to some degree. A few of those were actually caught by Riley Lee's as an example at his shoe strings. I still think he's a great quarterback but he's got a ways to go to be as good as some people are suugesting him to be at this stage.

If you are insinuating that Hunter Johnson had a "woe is me" attitude, that's some reckless speculation.

At the same time, it would be hard to blame him. Surrounded by receivers that can't get open (he places the ball perfectly with defenders draped all over them), an offensive line that's penalty-prone and can't get any push at the goal line, and an offensive coordinator who can't seem to come up with wrinkles to catch the opposing team off guard or play to his personnel.

There has to be some accountability across the board. Hunter was held accountable for knowing the playbook better via the QB competition all summer. What evidence is there that his offensive counterparts, or his offensive coordinator, are similarly held to the highest standards?

I worded that poorly. I don’t think it was solely or necessarily directed at HJ but it’s certainly possible he was one of the players Fitz was talking about. His comments about not liking the body language and attitude of some of the players was telling. Fitz understands that stomping out any negativity that could creep in is critical to this team’s remaining chances of having a successful season.

Oh please drama queen. Watch the full press conference. I have absolutely zero issue with anything he said. If I did, I would have no problem saying so. You are entitled to interpret it differently.
He was belittling to just about every question he disliked. He’s being paid millions of dollars not just to babysit kids, but to win. Answer the question, many of which are being asked by students, and accept your failure to start the season. I get being frustrated but hate to see a reaction like that.

Oh please drama queen. Watch the full press conference. I have absolutely zero issue with anything he said. If I did, I would have no problem saying so. You are entitled to interpret it differently.

I did. He was quite snippy throughout, but I was responding to the short clip in the tweet to which I responded.

Does anybody see the same pattern I see with the Fire McCall crowd? If you pay attention, all these schmucks also reveal themselves to be closet Fitz haters. imagine that. We finally have one of the best young coaches in the country who bleeds purple, a guy who achieves unparalleled success at NU and does so while running a completely clean program with the highest academic success in college football and these schmucks Pick a beef with him at the first sign of adversity. Morons!

Reactions: techtim72
I'm not sure Hunter was that accurate. I re-watched the entire game and found eight of the 26 passes he threw were off Target to some degree. A few of those were actually caught by Riley Lee's as an example at his shoe strings. I still think he's a great quarterback but he's got a ways to go to be as good as some people are suugesting him to be at this stage.

That’s pretty standard for college football. Shit happens. Every ball isn’t going to be on the money every time. The wideout has to make a play at some point.

Does anybody see the same pattern I see with the Fire McCall crowd? If you pay attention, all these schmucks also reveal themselves to be closet Fitz haters. imagine that. We finally have one of the best young coaches in the country who bleeds purple, a guy who achieves unparalleled success at NU and does so while running a completely clean program with the highest academic success in college football and these schmucks Pick a beef with him at the first sign of adversity. Morons!
Now you are just being delusional. I am one of the fire McCall crew and I don’t want Fitz to leave. He (for the most part) addrsssss the main issue with being the football coach at NU: recruiting. It’s not at OSU/UM level but it’s in line with the next level down. That’s a big improvement from where it had been.

But the offensive game planning and preparation have been bad for a decade now. It’s clear to everyone who is t delusional that the offfense needs some new blood. My guess is Fitz knows this but is too stubborn to fire his guy.

Now you are just being delusional. I am one of the fire McCall crew and I don’t want Fitz to leave. He (for the most part) addrsssss the main issue with being the football coach at NU: recruiting. It’s not at OSU/UM level but it’s in line with the next level down. That’s a big improvement from where it had been.

But the offensive game planning and preparation have been bad for a decade now. It’s clear to everyone who is t delusional that the offfense needs some new blood. My guess is Fitz knows this but is too stubborn to fire his guy.

You are right. I should have said “many” instead of “all”.

You are right. I should have said “many” instead of “all”.
I’m still not sure if it’s many. Maybe a small minority. There are people who use the McCall issue to rag on Fitz but I think it’s less than you imagine

Reactions: IGNORE

No one wants to fire Fitz. Do some of us blame Fitz for retaining incompetent coaches? Yes. We acknowledge all the good that he brings with him, but wish he would drop his stubbornness around stupidity like this.

I don't hate Fitz. I love the guy, but he came off as a complete d-bag the vast majority of the interview. It's on one of the ND boards, as my friend reached out to me asking what the guys problem is. You are so blinded by your own self love that you can't see that Fitz simply didn't handle himself well today. It's great that he runs a nice clean program, but we are 3rd to last in college football in offense. It's OK to expect more from him and the entire staff without us being a "Fitz hater". If I'm making millions of dollars a year I would expect to be heavily criticized if one area of my team is at the bottom of the country year after year. Your attitude on this board is pushing people away and polarizing the small fanbase that we have. Enough already...

I don't hate Fitz. I love the guy, but he came off as a complete d-bag the vast majority of the interview. It's on one of the ND boards, as my friend reached out to me asking what the guys problem is. You are so blinded by your own self love that you can't see that Fitz simply didn't handle himself well today. It's great that he runs a nice clean program, but we are 3rd to last in college football in offense. It's OK to expect more from him and the entire staff without us being a "Fitz hater". If I'm making millions of dollars a year I would expect to be heavily criticized if one area of my team is at the bottom of the country year after year. Your attitude on this board is pushing people away and polarizing the small fanbase that we have. Enough already...

I saw nothing wrong with anything he said. Does he come off as snippy and condescending at times? Sure, but as I said in an earlier post I think that is by design and certainly not unique to Fitz when it comes to P5 Head Coaches. You guys are now spending all your time bitching about Fitz's press conference and that is exactly the outcome he wanted. Mission accomplished.

Esp. when the QB is under constant pressure.
The OL, the wideouts' inability to separate and/or catch the damned ball, QB decision-making and accuracy (at times, but inasmuch as some are still calling him "great" after 3 games, I am not seeing it yet), and playcalling (at times, but not as frequent as the "Fire McCall" crowd would believe) have ALL been complicit in producing this piss-poor offense.

Reactions: hoosboot
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT