ADVERTISEMENT

For the record....

mikewebb68

Oct 24, 2009
We are now 1-0 in bowl games I have attended. Some observations from the bowl game, having a day to reflect:

1) Was not as cold as advertised; the design of the stadium actually shields one a bit from the wind, and my two sweatshirt-jacket-long underwear combo more than sufficed. Did not even put on my gloves or my hood.
2) Given what people had said on this board about the Wrigley experience, I thought that the sight lines would be poor. But from my vantage point (200, or main level) on the 50 I could see all the action quite well. In fact, some people who had a family member in the band came up to our section from the field level so they could see the band better at halftime! So thanks to the board posters who suggested main level.
3) On the field, the wind and cold seemed to be a factor. Can't recall CT being short on that many throws all season.
4) If you told me before the game that CT was only going to throw for around 200 with 1TD and 1 INT, and that we gave up 4 sacks, I would have most certainly thought we would have lost. Just amazing some of the holes we were able to open up for JJ.
5) I could literally hear that Xavier Washington hit from where I sat. Was stunned that their QB actually stayed in for the rest of that series.
6) All and all an amazing experience for me. Nice crowd (there were even people in the upper deck), and a decent amount of purple (though obv outnumbered by Pitt, you could clearly hear us when the Xavier Washington non-forced fumble stood as called)., amazingly nice facility (really, my only complaint was that they messed up down and distance on the big scoreboard on a few occassions, but that is a minor quibble), and the guy who sat next to me was a Wildcat Report reader! (albeit just a lurker). And, best of all, a competitive, exciting game with a nice result!
7) Best moment of the day; trophy presentation, where there are only Wildcat fans remaining in the stadium, with the rockets of purple confetti and then the team singing the fight song to us in the crowd. The Wildcats and their fans had Yankee Stadium all to themselves, and it was a moment that I will remember for a long time.

Hope everyone had as much fun as I did. Go Cats!

We are now 1-0 in bowl games I have attended. Some observations from the bowl game, having a day to reflect:

1) Was not as cold as advertised; the design of the stadium actually shields one a bit from the wind, and my two sweatshirt-jacket-long underwear combo more than sufficed. Did not even put on my gloves or my hood.
2) Given what people had said on this board about the Wrigley experience, I thought that the sight lines would be poor. But from my vantage point (200, or main level) on the 50 I could see all the action quite well. In fact, some people who had a family member in the band came up to our section from the field level so they could see the band better at halftime! So thanks to the board posters who suggested main level.
3) On the field, the wind and cold seemed to be a factor. Can't recall CT being short on that many throws all season.
4) If you told me before the game that CT was only going to throw for around 200 with 1TD and 1 INT, and that we gave up 4 sacks, I would have most certainly thought we would have lost. Just amazing some of the holes we were able to open up for JJ.
5) I could literally hear that Xavier Washington hit from where I sat. Was stunned that their QB actually stayed in for the rest of that series.
6) All and all an amazing experience for me. Nice crowd (there were even people in the upper deck), and a decent amount of purple (though obv outnumbered by Pitt, you could clearly hear us when the Xavier Washington non-forced fumble stood as called)., amazingly nice facility (really, my only complaint was that they messed up down and distance on the big scoreboard on a few occassions, but that is a minor quibble), and the guy who sat next to me was a Wildcat Report reader! (albeit just a lurker). And, best of all, a competitive, exciting game with a nice result!
7) Best moment of the day; trophy presentation, where there are only Wildcat fans remaining in the stadium, with the rockets of purple confetti and then the team singing the fight song to us in the crowd. The Wildcats and their fans had Yankee Stadium all to themselves, and it was a moment that I will remember for a long time.

Hope everyone had as much fun as I did. Go Cats!
mike, very glad you had the opportunity to attend. Very sorry I missed it.

Sitting next to Mike Webb in person yesterday and talking NU football subtleties throughout such a great game has propelled me to finally end my lurker status! Looking forward to contributing during these great times for an ever-dedicated NU sports fan (and Lite Beer intramural team alum) who graduated in '87.

Sitting next to Mike Webb in person yesterday and talking NU football subtleties throughout such a great game has propelled me to finally end my lurker status! Looking forward to contributing during these great times for an ever-dedicated NU sports fan (and Lite Beer intramural team alum) who graduated in '87.

Welcome aboard! Was a pleasure to sit with you yesterday.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT