ADVERTISEMENT

Gaines a Cat!

Max_Power

Gold Member
May 29, 2001
Coach Gates feels good.

Had offers from Butler, Temple, Cincinnati, Dayton, Providence and others. Michigan had interest and was in his final 6 but 247 does not list an offer.

247 has him as the No. 149 player in the country.

Solid get for the Cats.

Last edited:
Reactions: Windy City Cat Fan
Congrats to Anthony and his family.

Looking forward to watching Anthony play above the rim at the new Welsh Ryan.

Coach Gates feels good.

Had offers from Butler, Temple, Cincinnati, Dayton, Providence and others. Michigan had interest and was in his final 6 but 247 does not list an offer.

Solid get for the Cats.

Calling xyzbobxyz.......calling xyzbobxyz.......

As I said any moons ago, just R - E - L - A - X , Collins is on the case!

Calling xyzbobxyz.......calling xyzbobxyz.......

As I said any moons ago, just R - E - L - A - X , Collins is on the case!

Down in TX today, but that's great news. Still think we should hold the second one for a 5th unless Eastern decides to come this way.

Down in TX today, but that's great news. Still think we should hold the second one for a 5th unless Eastern decides to come this way.

My money is on PF Clifton Moore. Down to NU, Ole Miss and IU, and Indy is already 1 over the scholarship limit and just got a commit another PF, Justin Smith who had an NU offer.

Coach Gates feels good.

Solid get for the Cats.

Great news. Been waiting to celebrate a b-ball commit for quite some time.

Glad to welcome him and excited to see him play in the all new Basketball arena...Its a great time to be a Wildcat basketball player

Coach Gates feels good.

Solid get for the Cats.
Great news. A real gain(es) for our program!

Their loss is our Gaines.

My money is on PF Clifton Moore. Down to NU, Ole Miss and IU, and Indy is already 1 over the scholarship limit and just got a commit another PF, Justin Smith who had an NU offer.

And BTW, Ole Miss doesn't have a scholarship available unless they Crean someone. They have 3 2017 commits right now and are at 13 for the 2017-18 season.

Fitzphile and I agree, if you have patience and do not prematurely jump the gun, we will see what Collins is planning to do and his staff's ability to recruit all-around athletic basketball players. Anthony Gaines is a 6'5" or 6'4" SG who has the athletic ability to take the ball to the hole and dunk and play defense. He will fill a void at NU and hopefully, learn from Lindsey in Year 1. We are seeing NU recruit two way players and not one dimensional athletes of prior regimes. I would rather have a 6'5" SG who has hops than a 6'2"-6'3" tweener who played a lot down low like Goodwin. Gaines is a good fit and might develop under the tutelage of an excellent staff into something special. Now we have at least one scholarship open. But has anyone given some thought to the possibility that our 13th scholarship which appears to be used by a player who is no longer on the team might graduate after three years if he has taken some summer classes since he does not have practices to go to and that last scholarship might be open for 2017. Just a wild idea and speculation so that Collins might have two scholarships to work with in 2017. And let's just laugh at the 5th year grad transfer option which some espouse when so many options are out there for the last one or two scholarships available. I can't see it being attractive to go to a school where they could cut or they Crean you after a year or two. But that's just me. Rob Judson is working his recruiting magic in getting Justin Smith but too bad he did not get the memo that he could be Creaned after one or two years on that roster or not develop your game like Troy Williams. His recruits seem to do better when they transfer from IU. But that is just my observation.

Congrats to CC on getting his 11th recruit at NU and I for one am excited about Anthony Gaines and his potential. Smart decision for Gaines IMHO.

Fitzphile and I agree, if you have patience and do not prematurely jump the gun, we will see what Collins is planning to do and his staff's ability to recruit all-around athletic basketball players.

According to another recruiting site, the 2017 team will have 8 of the top 13 all time NU recruits playing on it, including the top 3. Each Collins class has been better than the previous class. With the new gym and the overall administration commitment to competing at a top level, the future is indeed bright for NU Men's BB.

According to another recruiting site, the 2017 team will have 8 of the top 13 all time NU recruits playing on it, including the top 3. Each Collins class has been better than the previous class. With the new gym and the overall administration commitment to competing at a top level, the future is indeed bright for NU Men's BB.

The entire Big Ten is recruiting much, much better, with the exception of Rutgers. Iowa, Illinois, Minny all have solid talent coming in. And the team that's made the biggest jump is probably PSU.

No doubt NU's roster is the best it's been in years, but the conference wins will be more difficult.

Congrats to CC on getting his 11th recruit at NU

Mac, Law, Lindsey, Skelly, Vassar, Pardon, Falzon, Ash, Benson, Ivanauskas, Brown and now Gaines. I think that makes Gaines #12.

Mac, Law, Lindsey, Skelly, Vassar, Pardon, Falzon, Ash, Benson, Ivanauskas, Brown and now Gaines. I think that makes Gaines #12.
Probably wasn't counting Vassar, who we hope is smart enough and driven to graduate early.

And don't forget CC's true #1 recruit, Drew Crawford!

Crawford had completed 4 years in the program and on track to graduate in June. He was eligible to go anywhere he wanted--and would have surely been in demand--as a 5th year graduate transfer.

Reactions: NUCat320

Crawford had completed 4 years in the program and on track to graduate in June. He was eligible to go anywhere he wanted--and would have surely been in demand--as a 5th year graduate transfer.

In that case, you can throw in Kreisberg, the grad transfer, too.

Last edited:

Excellent point. First year would have been dismal without Drew.

In that case, you can throw in the grad transfers, too: Swopshire, Cerina and Kreisberg.

How does Collins get credit when Carmody recruited Cerina and Swopshire? And Cerina wan't a grad transfer, he was a plain old regular transfer.

How does Collins get credit when Carmody recruited Cerina and Swopshire? And Cerina wan't a grad transfer, he was a plain old regular transfer.

Wow, I was way off. The years just run together after a while. I can't believe Cerina and Swop were that long ago.

Well, they'll be eight of the highest-rated NU has had. Let's hope that adds up to results on the court.

Worse shape how? Is that possible? Photos?
F636xiP.gif

Swop for sure was not a CCC recruit
CCC has done reasonably well with the 5th year transfer. No game changer but reasonable backups at a spot where backups are difficult and an area we had not recruited well over the years.

Fitzphile and I agree, if you have patience and do not prematurely jump the gun, we will see what Collins is planning to do and his staff's ability to recruit all-around athletic basketball players. Anthony Gaines is a 6'5" or 6'4" SG who has the athletic ability to take the ball to the hole and dunk and play defense. He will fill a void at NU and hopefully, learn from Lindsey in Year 1. We are seeing NU recruit two way players and not one dimensional athletes of prior regimes. I would rather have a 6'5" SG who has hops than a 6'2"-6'3" tweener who played a lot down low like Goodwin. Gaines is a good fit and might develop under the tutelage of an excellent staff into something special. Now we have at least one scholarship open. But has anyone given some thought to the possibility that our 13th scholarship which appears to be used by a player who is no longer on the team might graduate after three years if he has taken some summer classes since he does not have practices to go to and that last scholarship might be open for 2017. Just a wild idea and speculation so that Collins might have two scholarships to work with in 2017. And let's just laugh at the 5th year grad transfer option which some espouse when so many options are out there for the last one or two scholarships available. I can't see it being attractive to go to a school where they could cut or they Crean you after a year or two. But that's just me. Rob Judson is working his recruiting magic in getting Justin Smith but too bad he did not get the memo that he could be Creaned after one or two years on that roster or not develop your game like Troy Williams. His recruits seem to do better when they transfer from IU. But that is just my observation.

Congrats to CC on getting his 11th recruit at NU and I for one am excited about Anthony Gaines and his potential. Smart decision for Gaines IMHO.

Hmmm....

Transfers are always an option when they arise (after the player receives a release), but do you seriously think CCC was researching transfers before last season and before the fall recruiting period? For starters, that would be a NCAA violation.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT