ADVERTISEMENT

Game thoughts

torque-cat

Dec 11, 2018
1. Ramsey: Not pretty, but he is a tough, experienced QB who makes plays when it matters. We don't have an elite RB like we've often had in the past and we don't have a great WR (which is typical). Having Skowronek would have helped. But I'll take this kid's style and quality of play all day---he's just a solid football player.

2. RBs. A couple excellent runs including the TD by Anderson showing burst. But overall we have nobody that makes your jaw drop, just playing hard and by committee. Bowser has not looked as great as he did as a frosh, hoping if he gets healthy we can see some of that nimbleness and power again.

3. WRs. Nothing special, but excellent hands--don't recall any passes dropped. If we could just have 1 legit playmaker at WR (ie a late round NFL type talent) every year, we would take so much pressure off the rest of the team. We have to earn everything on offense and play with little room for error on defense.

4. DL: Beast mode most of the season. Not sure how we keep reloading.

5. LBs: See DL. Maybe as good a group as I've seen in a long time.

6. DBs: See DL time 5. There was once a time when we'd be lucky to have 1 big ten caliber DB and we conjectured about our inability to recruit talent there and possible lack of academically qualified kids at the position. Now it seems like anyone we put back there gets the job done. 15 yrs ago I used to hold my breath on any throw over 20 yards, now I'm surprised if we don't make a great play.

7. Fitz. Runs the best program top to bottom (player experience, academics, continuity, character, toughness, discipline...) in America.

8. Hankwitz. As good as any DC in America. Nobody could do better with the guys we bring in. I could only imagine what he would do with 'Bama or OSU talent. It's utterly amazing how he has these guys prepared and how well he adjusts in the second half. He outcoaches the other guy 9 of 10 times.

With respect to WR, I believe Kirtz couldn’t hold on to a deep throw on the second possession. Otherwise, I thought the WRs caught the catchable.

5. LBs: See DL. Maybe as good a group as I've seen in a long time.

Agree in general, but they did have a few more missed tackles than I would've liked to have seen. This wasn't as good a game for the LBs as the win over Io_a. Paddy was called out in particular by the TV announcers for not wrapping up near the sideline and allowing the WR to gain extra yards. And all three of them missed at least one tackle each (if not a few more) on those annoying QB draws by Martinez and McCaffrey. Granted, both of Nebraska's QBs are great athletes and were elusive all day, but I have a higher opinion of Fisher, Gallagher, and Bergin than they demonstrated today.

Agree in general, but they did have a few more missed tackles than I would've liked to have seen. This wasn't as good a game for the LBs as the win over Io_a. Paddy was called out in particular by the TV announcers for not wrapping up near the sideline and allowing the WR to gain extra yards. And all three of them missed at least one tackle each (if not a few more) on those annoying QB draws by Martinez and McCaffrey. Granted, both of Nebraska's QBs are great athletes and were elusive all day, but I have a higher opinion of Fisher, Gallagher, and Bergin than they demonstrated today.

Try to focus on the 38 tackles (20 solos) our LB trio had on Saturday. They are the heart and soul of our defense; we don’t win that game without their stellar play.

38 tackles and you focus on the few the missed! Sounds about right for this board!

Nobody will ever make 100% of their tackles. And tackling big ten football players is MUCH harder that these guys make it look. Plus I saw plenty of good coverage as well, particularly from Bergin.

Reactions: plstrmn27
38 tackles and you focus on the few the missed! Sounds about right for this board!

Don't get me wrong - I love our LB crew. I am especially happy to see Fisher return to form, proving that last season was an anomaly. It was just frustrating to see Martinez and McCaffrey getting first downs with their legs - the success they had on QB draws was one of the only things that kept this from being a dominant defensive performance today.

Don't get me wrong - I love our LB crew. I am especially happy to see Fisher return to form, proving that last season was an anomaly. It was just frustrating to see Martinez and McCaffrey getting first downs with their legs - the success they had on QB draws was one of the only things that kept this from being a dominant defensive performance today.
most of the QB draws were designed...spread everyone out, leave 1 LB in box and send 2-3 OL at him. Tough to defend.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT