ADVERTISEMENT

Gates may no longer be at Florida

catsattackfor3

Mar 2, 2011
Rumors rampant that Gates is no longer on the staff at Florida just after a few weeks....they took him off the list of assistant coaches on their website too.

Gates on recruiting Chicago in a recent Gator story:

”Honestly, I feel like kids in Chicago, most of the kids, they do want to get away. Me working with Northwestern and recruiting those kids, putting a fence around that Chicago land area, we did, we got a couple yes’s, we got a couple no’s because they wanted to get away from that area,” he said. “It could be because of the weather, because of socially, social reasons, family reasons. So I think we will have a big-time shot with those Chicago area kids, Illinois kids or Midwestern kids.”

https://www.seccountry.com/florida/...uiting-armon-gates-mike-white-assistant-coach

Gates tweeted on the 22nd, "Headed home, see you soon Gainesville."

Interesting.

Is there anybody who doesnt know someone who made a career move and knew almost immediately it was a mistake? It happens.

Gates tweeted on the 22nd, "Headed home, see you soon Gainesville."

Interesting.

Is there anybody who doesnt know someone who made a career move and knew almost immediately it was a mistake? It happens.

Wild unfounded speculation here - I'm thinking Gates got uncomfortable with the recruiting practices and expectations at UF.

Reactions: Alaskawildkat
Wild unfounded speculation here - I'm thinking Gates got uncomfortable with the recruiting practices and expectations at UF.
Well, if your wild, unfounded speculation is true, then it's a credit to him . . . and I applaud the move.

Well, if your wild, unfounded speculation is true, then it's a credit to him . . . and I applaud the move.

He probably got sick of trying to wash off the slime of SEC recruiting every night after work.

I hear that Gates' wife is/was very upset about the move, although it's not clear whether it's an anti-Florida thing or an anti-move thing in general.

I hear that Gates' wife is/was very upset about the move, although it's not clear whether it's an anti-Florida thing or an anti-move thing in general.
I really find it odd that neither he or Florida haven't released some kind of a statement.

Check your spelling, ParisCat. What you hear is that Gates' boss is/was very upset about the move . . . ;).
That aside, though, it does strike me as curious if, in fact, they're now going to Nebraska. I've never been to Gainesville - perhaps Glades or FloridAlum can weigh in on this - but as much as I like Lincoln (and I've been there for all four of our visits since Nebraska joined the conference), it just kinda seems counterintuitive that one would be likely to prefer it to Florida. Wherever they land, though, I certainly wish them the best and hope he has a long and successful career.

Reactions: NUCat320
Check your spelling, ParisCat. What you hear is that Gates' boss is/was very upset about the move . . . ;).
That aside, though, it does strike me as curious if, in fact, they're now going to Nebraska. I've never been to Gainesville - perhaps Glades or FloridAlum can weigh in on this - but as much as I like Lincoln (and I've been there for all four of our visits since Nebraska joined the conference), it just kinda seems counterintuitive that one would be likely to prefer it to Florida. Wherever they land, though, I certainly wish them the best and hope he has a long and successful career.
Guess that sometimes the grass is not always greener.

Guess that sometimes the grass is not always greener.

Right sometimes you need to be careful what you wish for. Looks like he went to UF for the title and pay increase but may not have been the right fit. If so hope he lands on his feet for this year

Right sometimes you need to be careful what you wish for. Looks like he went to UF for the title and pay increase but may not have been the right fit. If so hope he lands on his feet for this year
Maybe he didn't feel like recruiting the SEC way -- delivering bookbags of money and duffel bags of Nike shoes.

its like when you break up with a girlfriend and realize a few weeks later you shouldn't have but she has moved on

I've found it odd that we've heard no names floated for the open job. I don't think it's Guyton because they would have made a big show of it on Twitter and elsewhere. Any names if Gates is indeed moving on?

it was a poor fit and lack of vetting on both sides. once there, the chemistry just wasn't right and a change had to be made from the UF side.

unfortunately we will now have to face gates in the conference, but hopefully not in head to head recruiting battles.

There is some chatter on the Florida boards that Gates was "vetoed" before he could settle in by Jeremy Foley, semi-retired former AD, because they want to see what happens at OKC with Billy Donovan. Seems a little far-fetched, but it's better than the vacuum of news we have now.

In which case Mr. Gates should either by walking away with a nice financial settlement or be in the process of calling his lawyer.

If he finds another job in a power conference with a similar paycheck, he won't have much of a claim. He's got an obligation to mitigate his damages.

In which case Mr. Gates should either by walking away with a nice financial settlement or be in the process of calling his lawyer.

Not necessarily.

This is not just Florida casually and callously changing its mind. This is not great for its program either, leaving Florida scrambling for a hire it thought it had secured - and during a peak of recruiting season.

The point being, this isn't without reason.

Reactions: FightNorthwestern
Not necessarily.

This is not just Florida casually and callously changing its mind. This is not great for its program either, leaving Florida scrambling for a hire it thought it had secured - and during a peak of recruiting season.

The point being, this isn't without reason.
So...what happened?

So...what happened?

I’m not going to get into that.
Suffice to say, Florida felt reason to part ways— something it certainly hadn’t hoped to do when White made the hire.
I suspect this will be presented as a mutual parting of ways and just “not the right fit”.

There is some chatter on the Florida boards that Gates was "vetoed" before he could settle in by Jeremy Foley, semi-retired former AD, because they want to see what happens at OKC with Billy Donovan. Seems a little far-fetched, but it's better than the vacuum of news we have now.

Hahaha! Now that’s creative.
And entirely false. Lol.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT