ADVERTISEMENT

Gates may no longer be at Florida

it was a poor fit and lack of vetting on both sides. once there, the chemistry just wasn't right and a change had to be made from the UF side.

unfortunately we will now have to face gates in the conference, but hopefully not in head to head recruiting battles.

This is fairly accurate, though the Florida staff knew Armon very well. One of its current assistants played and later coached Armon at Kent.

This is fairly accurate, though the Florida staff knew Armon very well. One of its current assistants played and later coached Armon at Kent.

A “poor fit” and lack of vetting does not equal cause. You implied that UF had cause to terminate his employment if it came to it. That implies something pretty serious. Since he was only there a few days, I can only surmise that Florida felt he had misrepresented something in his resume.

A “poor fit” and lack of vetting does not equal cause. You implied that UF had cause to terminate his employment if it came to it. That implies something pretty serious. Since he was only there a few days, I can only surmise that Florida felt he had misrepresented something in his resume.

The “poor fit” will be the spin.
It is not resume related. Florida and it’s staff knows Armon and his experience very well.

Reactions: FightNorthwestern
If you know something please share it with the rest of the class.

Guessing that this individual has to be careful about what he/she shares, or else he/she won't be sharing anything in the future...

The “poor fit” will be the spin.
It is not resume related. Florida and it’s staff knows Armon and his experience very well.

Can we agree that you damaged his job prospects with Nebraska from this series of posts?

What other motivation might a Florida supporter have for coming on here and making accusations? Is it to get ahead of the truth that Florida might not be a clean program?

Look at it from out perspective. A SEC team hired a NU coach and two or three weeks later the deal breaks up. A supporter of that team then rushes over to our board and makes several posts that implicate the former NU coach, but provides absolutely no proof other than his anonymous credentials.

My question to the board....isn't that exactly what a Florida supporter might do if Gates learned a dark, naughty secret about Florida that compelled him to leave?

Please. If Gates left NU for a clean program in a clean conference then maybe I'd be curious.

Reactions: loyolacat
Can we agree that you damaged his job prospects with Nebraska from this series of posts?

What other motivation might a Florida supporter have for coming on here and making accusations? Is it to get ahead of the truth that Florida might not be a clean program?

Look at it from out perspective. A SEC team hired a NU coach and two or three weeks later the deal breaks up. A supporter of that team then rushes over to our board and makes several posts that implicate the former NU coach, but provides absolutely no proof other than his anonymous credentials.

My question to the board....isn't that exactly what a Florida supporter might do if Gates learned a dark, naughty secret about Florida that compelled him to leave?

Please. If Gates left NU for a clean program in a clean conference then maybe I'd be curious.

I am not a Florida supporter.

You are exceedingly naive if you think Nebraska is not aware and vetting the reasons for a departure after 4 weeks.

You are downright foolish if you think my posts here could be damaging to his candidacy. By believing so, you are suggesting either my “false implications” on a message board would trump Nebraska’s vetting process, or that I could imply something Nebraska would not otherwise learn.

Finally, if Gates learned a dirty secret about Florida - is it really your contention that a message board poster could thwart such?

On that note, is it fair to say you damaged Flroida’s program with your post?

Last edited:
I am not a Florida supporter.

You are exceedingly naive if you think Nebraska is not aware and vetting the reasons for a departure after 4 weeks.

You are downright foolish if you think my posts here could be damaging to his candidacy. By believing so, you are suggesting either my “false implications” on a message board would trump Nebraska’s vetting process, or that I could imply something Nebraska would not otherwise learn.

Finally, if Gates learned a dirty secret about Florida - is it really your contention that a message board poster could thwart such?

On that note, is it fair to say you damaged Flroida’s program with your post?

Let me start by responding to the last question....I don't think there is anything I could write here that would lower the perception of SEC member institutions' ethical standards by members of this board.

In regards to all of your other questions/comments directed towards me I would respond that there are two or more possibilities to the Gates/Florida saga. Thus far, the only source promoting the narrative that Gates is the culprit is an anonymous poster who suddenly showed up on this board two days ago.

If pushing back on that makes me downright foolish, well then, I just rolled off the turnip truck.

Let me start by responding to the last question....I don't think there is anything I could write here that would lower the perception of SEC member institutions' ethical standards by members of this board.

In regards to all of your other questions/comments directed towards me I would respond that there are two or more possibilities to the Gates/Florida saga. Thus far, the only source promoting the narrative that Gates is the culprit is an anonymous poster who suddenly showed up on this board two days ago.

If pushing back on that makes me downright foolish, well then, I just rolled off the turnip truck.

Pushing back doesn’t make you foolish, but your posted contentions do.
It is perfectly reasonable to question anything you might read on the internet.
It is perfectly unreasonable to presume what you may read on an internet message board will somehow override a national program’s vetting process and sabotage its hiring intentions.
It is also rather hypocritical to argue against unfair and unfounded implications while making aspersions against Mike White and his program, and using broad-brush paint strokes about the conference as justification.
White, fwiw, has a very good/clean reputation within coaching circles.

Last edited:
I see from your most recent post that you feel compelled to defend the integrity of a college coach from anonymous accusations.

Thanks for making my point.

I see from your most recent post that you feel compelled to defend the integrity of a college coach from anonymous accusations.

Thanks for making my point.

No.
I just felt compelled to point out hypocrisy.

Internet message boards are lousy with anonymous accusations. I certainly have no compulsion to combat such activity.

But if you take me to task for making an implication, all while doing the same— I may be inclined to make mention.

Last edited:
No.
I just felt compelled to point out hypocrisy.

Internet message boards are lousy with anonymous accusations. I certainly have no compulsion to combat such activity.

But if you take me to task for making an implication, all while doing the same— I may be inclined to make mention.

So clear the air.. why is Florida making this decision?

Reactions: NJCat
So clear the air.. why is Florida making this decision?

This my my reply earlier in the thread:

I’m not going to get into that.
Suffice to say, Florida felt reason to part ways— something it certainly hadn’t hoped to do when White made the hire.
I suspect this will be presented as a mutual parting of ways and just “not the right fit".

Suffice to say, Florida felt reason to part ways— something it certainly hadn’t hoped to do when White made the hire.
I suspect this will be presented as a mutual parting of ways and just “not the right fit".

So “I’m going to prostelitize against internet anonymity while hiding behind my internet anonymity.” Got it.

So why even post? That's using a lot of words for saying nothing.

So “I’m going to prostelitize against internet anonymity while hiding behind my internet anonymity.” Got it.

Please read the thread. Nowhere did I “proselytize against internet anonymity”.
To the contrary, I specifically said I have “no compulsion” to do so.
I did, however, point out the hypocrisy of one poster who pushed back against me posting anonymous implications- all while doing the same.
I guess I proselytized against hypocrisy.

(Excellent usage of the word “proselytize”, but note its proper spelling.)

Reactions: IGNORE2
Please read the thread. Nowhere did I “proselytize against internet anonymity”.
To the contrary, I specifically said I have “no compulsion” to do so.
I did, however, point out the hypocrisy of one poster who pushed back against me posting anonymous implications- all while doing the same.
I guess I proselytized against hypocrisy.

(Excellent usage of the word “proselytize”, but note its proper spelling.)

So you still have no grounds on which to make your claims.

So you still have no grounds on which to make your claims.

As it relates to what I am willing to post, nothing has changed since my comment an hour or so ago.

I tip my hat to your deft maneuvering and ability to steer away from our last exchange! Well done!

If all my technology at work worked like the Ignore button I'd be home by two every day.

Darn... you bowed out quickly!!
And to quote Col. Frank Slade, “I’m just getting warmed up”! ;)

Kidding aside, I did not come here to ruffle feathers. I think my initial tone should reflect that tact.
I do understand and respect you sticking up for your guy. It’s admirable.

My initial intention here was simply to read the fans’ insights. I read hints of some misinformation and offered my, admittedly anonymous, insights. I should have known it may not be entirely well-received.

Reactions: Dugan15
As it relates to what I am willing to post, nothing has changed since my comment an hour or so ago.

I tip my hat to your deft maneuvering and ability to steer away from our last exchange! Well done!

What did I maneuver away from? My misspelling of proselytize? Really got me there! That changes EVERYTHING!

Kidding aside, I did not come here to ruffle feathers. I think my initial tone should reflect that tact.

My initial intention here was simply to read the fans’ insights. I read hints of some misinformation and offered my, admittedly anonymous, insights. I should have known it may not be entirely well-received.

It’s bullshit to come on the board and say “Florida made this decision and will probably offer up a BS reason for Gates’ quick departure” if you’re unwilling to, you know, actually discuss what happened.

Reactions: Medill90
What did I maneuver away from? My misspelling of proselytize? Really got me there! That changes EVERYTHING!

You maneuvered away from the entire premise of your post... that I proselytized about internet anonymity. Of course, I did no such thing... and actually posted to the contrary.
Your misspelling was just something I noted.

It’s bullshit to come on the board and say “Florida made this decision and will probably offer up a BS reason for Gates’ quick departure” if you’re unwilling to, you know, actually discuss what happened.

Ok.

In the post you quoted, I conceded having erred in judgement in making such post.

You maneuvered away from the entire premise of your post... that I proselytized about internet anonymity. Of course, I did no such thing... and actually posted to the contrary.
Your misspelling was just something I noted.

...he says anonymously. On the internet. After throwing dirt on another man’s reputation.

I may be inclined to make mention...nah...too douchey. Listen, pussy-footing douchebags are never well received here or anywhere.

...he says anonymously. On the internet. After throwing dirt on another man’s reputation.

I am not sure I threw dirt on a man’s reputation.... certainly no more so than what was being presumed or implied about White and/or Florida.
I simply said Florida is making this decision with reason.
Surely you know the decision for going seperate ways is being made by one side... lest you believe both woke-up and simultaneously thought, “eh, let’s do something different”.
I posted in response to initial comments that suggested Gates was leaving because he learned something nefarious about Florida.
In retrospect, I should have done as originally intended and simply read fan thoughts.
I do suspect the circumstances of this looming break up will eventually be leaked/released. At that time, I’ll return and will be curious as to your thoughts.

I am not sure I threw dirt on a man’s reputation.... certainly no more so than what was being presumed or implied about White and/or Florida.
I simply said Florida is making this decision with reason.
Surely you know the decision for going seperate ways is being made by one side... lest you believe both woke-up and simultaneously thought, “eh, let’s do something different”.
I posted in response to initial comments that suggested Gates was leaving because he learned something nefarious about Florida.
In retrospect, I should have done as originally intended and simply read fan thoughts.
I do suspect the circumstances of this looming break up will eventually be leaked/released. At that time, I’ll return and will be curious as to your thoughts.

By saying “with reason” while being too much of a coward to state what that reason might be (anonymously, I might add).

By saying “with reason” while being too much of a coward to state what that reason might be (anonymously, I might add).

You consider it cowardly.
I consider it discretion.
I should have had more of the latter before even opting to post about Florida having made the decision.
“Cowardly” is a strange choice of words- as what could I personally fear in posting additional detail??
Anyway, you now seem to be lobbying for me to have even less discretion... and throw more dirt, as you phrased it.
I’ll pass. (Anonymously, I might add,)

The problem is that you didn't actually offer any insights. You offered some incite, but there's nothing of value in what you offered.

Can I point out how funny it is that we're discussing whether Florida basketball is dirty, and I learn that their coach has the same name as the dirtiest football coach in the history of the Big Ten.
Well, funny to me anyway.

Are you disagreeing with the story?

No.
As I said -- and got blasted for --- the article states this to be Florida's decision.
The author here opted to make some veiled suggestions as to the reasons. I opted to not comment at all on Florida's reasons --- which also, understandably drew the ire of some here.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT