ADVERTISEMENT

Gates may no longer be at Florida

If you opt to believe the column, it certainly refutes a prior poster's conjecture of --- "if Gates learned a dark, naughty secret about Florida that compelled him to leave..".

My original post was that "Florida is making this decision". The fore mentioned poster suggested my comment was to protect Florida.

It wasn't. It was simply relaying my thoughts.

I am not surprised to read a story that supports my post.

If you opt to believe the column, it certainly refutes a prior poster's conjecture of --- "if Gates learned a dark, naughty secret about Florida that compelled him to leave..".

My original post was that "Florida is making this decision". The fore mentioned poster suggested my comment was to protect Florida.

It wasn't. It was simply relaying my thoughts.

I am not surprised to read a story that supports my post.
Gotcha--fwiw, you weren't the first to say that UF was making this decision, which was haywood (who is a very respected poster here). I think we're all interested as to why, though. You noted that it wasn't UF just changing it's mind, but the article goes on

"According to multiple sources, White began feeling uncomfortable with the overall dynamic and makeup of the staff he put together. The head coach is the boss and usually has unyielding power in the program he runs. Thus, White made the move he felt was necessary for himself and the program, no matter the odd timing of it or the repercussions.

This fickle decision-making, however, was going to leave immediate and unnecessary uncertainty for an assistant coach who turned down other job offers, was in the midst of moving his family and leaving a great job for, in the end … What?"

Gotcha--fwiw, you weren't the first to say that UF was making this decision, which was haywood (who is a very respected poster here). I think we're all interested as to why, though. You noted that it wasn't UF just changing it's mind, but the article goes on

"According to multiple sources, White began feeling uncomfortable with the overall dynamic and makeup of the staff he put together. The head coach is the boss and usually has unyielding power in the program he runs. Thus, White made the move he felt was necessary for himself and the program, no matter the odd timing of it or the repercussions.

This fickle decision-making, however, was going to leave immediate and unnecessary uncertainty for an assistant coach who turned down other job offers, was in the midst of moving his family and leaving a great job for, in the end … What?"

I guess I didn’t pay attention to who had said what first.
I just made a comment that I know was poorly received by some.
I wish I had seen that my info was already posted... it wouldve saved me from posting the the ensuing pitchforks! Lol!

Last edited:
I guess I didn’t pay attention to who had said what first.
I just made a comment that I know was poorly received by some.
I wish I had seen that my info was already posted... it wouldve saved my from posting the the ensuing pitchforks! Lol!
Man, if you think these are pitchforks, you ain't seen nothing.

The author seems to allude that Gates didn't exactly know his place as an assistant? Maybe let the Associate Head Coach title go to his head?

Reactions: TheAnonymous13

The author seems to allude that Gates didn't exactly know his place as an assistant? Maybe let the Associate Head Coach title go to his head?

I was called a “douchebag”. Lol!
It gets much worse?

I don’t think I’ll be sticking around to find out! Haha!

Or perhaps, there were others on the staff where it didn't sit well with, given tenure with White, relationship, or what not. Might not be anything Gates did - maybe just a bad situation - wrong place, wrong time, wrong fit. It happens.

I was called a “douchebag”. Lol!
It gets much worse?

I don’t think I’ll be sticking around to find out! Haha!

You won't be subject to the worst of the venom, since you never decommitted from the program.

And as far as I can tell, you have nothing to do with fOhio State Buckeyes. In which case, said venom would be well deserved and insufficient relative to the seriousness of the crime.

Could be. I could also see another, more established assistant at Florida getting jealous that a newcomer was rewarded with the associate head coach title. It seemed like kind of an odd call (to me) by White at the time. That's how I read it, anyway. And if White really valued the other assistants' contributions to the program, I could see him kicking Gates to the curb in an effort to keep that assistant happy. Wouldn't be surprised if the next hire is just an "assistant coach" and not an "associate head coach."

Reactions: NUCats
Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't "The Anonymous 13" the name of the movie that was the third installment in the Ocean's Eleven trilogy? George Clooney was great in it.

So that’s the “bullshit” reason. Whatsoever the “real” reason now that that’s out there?

Speculation, but I'd bet it's exactly what has been surmised. An existing assistant, with whom White had a longer relationship chafed. He had to make a choice and he went with the guy he was closer to. If one of the existing assistants (who has worked with White before) gets the Associate HC role or no one does, that may help confirm it.

Of course, I don't know for sure, and I'm known to take risk with my bets.

Speculation, but I'd bet it's exactly what has been surmised. An existing assistant, with whom White had a longer relationship chafed. He had to make a choice and he went with the guy he was closer to. If one of the existing assistants (who has worked with White before) gets the Associate HC role or no one does, that may help confirm it.

Of course, I don't know for sure, and I'm known to take risk with my bets.

That is not the scenario. The assistants at Florida have a longstanding friendship with gates and were very supportive of the hire and capacity.
But I have already said too much and too little.
I’m outta here! :)

Or perhaps, there were others on the staff where it didn't sit well with, given tenure with White, relationship, or what not. Might not be anything Gates did - maybe just a bad situation - wrong place, wrong time, wrong fit. It happens.
Of course, I was just trying to play within the framework that TheHipHopAnonymous was putting down of "UF had a reason to terminate relationship Gates that is Gates' fault" and that it would only be "spun" as a bit fit.

Of course, I was just trying to play within the framework that TheHipHopAnonymous was putting down of "UF had a reason to terminate relationship Gates that is Gates' fault" and that it would only be "spun" as a bit fit.

You are, probably inadvertently, misrepresenting what I said.
I said Florida is making the decision, and has reason.
I don’t think I ever assigned blame or used the word “fault”.

That is not the scenario. The assistants at Florida have a longstanding friendship with gates and were very supportive of the hire and capacity.
But I have already said too much and too little.
I’m outta here! :)

So more bullshit from you. Got it.

Of course they had “reason” or “reasons.” But it’s still bullshit to voluntarily represent knowledge of those reasons without actually backing it up.

Lol ok.

Maybe I was reading too much between the lines, but when someone comes in and says "UF made the decision and there was a reason", I tend to think that the blame lays at the feet of the other party.

Reactions: TheAnonymous13
Of course they had “reason” or “reasons.” But it’s still bullshit to voluntarily represent knowledge of those reasons without actually backing it up.

Well, Florida would not be the ones with reasons for the decision, if it were Gates making said decision — as speculated here.
Anyway, I made the mistake of commenting yesterday- and am now stupidly repeating it.
Take care.
Fwiw- I have a lot of respect for your coach and program! Best of luck!

Reactions: FightNorthwestern
Lol ok.

Maybe I was reading too much between the lines, but when someone comes in and says "UF made the decision and there was a reason", I tend to think that the blame lays at the feet of the other party.

I understand,
But what if Florida has reason, but perhaps should have known of such reason- or its possibility- before the hire?
Blame?

Anyway, I’m out.

Thanks, folks!

I understand,
But what if Florida has reason, but perhaps should have known of such reason- or its possibility- before the hire?
Blame?

Anyway, I’m out.

Thanks, folks!
If what I'm gleaning from the article is the case (i.e., someone internal got upset at the Gates hire/promotion), then that's 100% on UF.

Long, old story from a bowl game a few years ago.

This board has been in a very collective bad mood of late. Don't take anything personally. I, for one, appreciate some new content from a source previously not seen around here.

What content?

... It would be nice if we as a board didn't run off new people who came here and at least wanted to start a new conversation.

I agree with this thought. I may be the last person who should type this, but we can be harsh with new guys.

For new posters who aren't obvious trolls, they should have the opportunity to be longtime assholes before we line 'em up.

Could be. I could also see another, more established assistant at Florida getting jealous that a newcomer was rewarded with the associate head coach title. It seemed like kind of an odd call (to me) by White at the time. That's how I read it, anyway. And if White really valued the other assistants' contributions to the program, I could see him kicking Gates to the curb in an effort to keep that assistant happy. Wouldn't be surprised if the next hire is just an "assistant coach" and not an "associate head coach."

If this were the case, then White just screwed up a man's life by hiring him and then kicking him out in less than 3 weeks. As much as I dislike the SEC in general, I don't think White would do that to Gates.

A tidbit from Omaha:
LINCOLN — Nebraska is a few bits of contract language away from adding Armon Gates to its men’s basketball staff.

Two sources with knowledge of the situation on Thursday said Gates will join the Huskers at the same level and pay grade as current NU aides Jim Molinari and Michael Lewis. Gates spent five years as an assistant at Northwestern and less than a month at Florida after joining the Gators staff April 8.

Gates was named associate head coach at Florida and, sources said, was to be paid about $100,000 more than his previous salary.

http://www.omaha.com/huskers/mens-b...cle_7651006b-1eb0-59c2-8cf2-32130b627470.html

After a guy had resigned from a job that he had had for quite a while and they give him a thanks for coming but there is the door? Pretty tacky no matter how you figure.

No.
As I said -- and got blasted for --- the article states this to be Florida's decision.
The author here opted to make some veiled suggestions as to the reasons. I opted to not comment at all on Florida's reasons --- which also, understandably drew the ire of some here.

The article does say it was Florida's decision to let him go, but the reason wasn't anything Gates did wrong as was implied by some posters. The article seems to shift the blame onto Florida: "According to multiple sources, White began feeling uncomfortable with the overall dynamic and makeup of the staff he put together... Though no fault of his own, Gates was blindsided and unnecessarily left high and dry due to the cutthroat life in college basketball coaching. Some could say that’s how this basketball coaching world works."

It sounds like White screwed up the hire.

Long, old story from a bowl game a few years ago.

This board has been in a very collective bad mood of late. Don't take anything personally. I, for one, appreciate some new content from a source previously not seen around here.

He got the reception a reasonably minded person can expect when they show up for the very first time to cast what can arguably be called aspersions on a well-regarded member of the family, and then refuse to back it up.

I think he's well mannered though, as his posts continued it was clear that he posted first and thought later. I know I've never done that.

Last edited:
So, Gates felt blind sided and it was a Florida decision.

Here's another scenario...

At some point in the last three weeks a rich Florida booster with gold plated alligator cuff links found a way to bump into Armon Gates at the airport.

They talked briefly and the booster suggested he might be able to help with the recruiting.

Gates smiled and innocently explained that he appreciated the gesture but he was really good at this and had it covered. The booster said, "let me buy you a quick drink." Gates declined saying he had a flight to catch.

A week later Gates got a call telling him that the fit was poor and better to cut ties now while he could still line something up for next year.

You can draw any conclusion you want from the Hendrickson article.

He got the reception a reasonably minded person can expect when they show up for the very first time to cast what can arguably be called aspersions on a well-regarded member of the family, and then refuse to back it up.

I think he's well mannered though, as his posts continued it was clear that he posted first and thought later. I know I've never done that.

Take it for what it's worth, which is approximately two cents, but I'm not referring to only this thread in my comments.

The fact that he may be headed to U.N.-L is not a step up from NU. It’s a lateral move if this is what transpires

Take it for what it's worth, which is approximately two cents, but I'm not referring to only this thread in my comments.

You're larger point is accurate and, IMO, you are in the upper tier in terms of fair-mindedness on this board.

And there can be two truths to this anonymous fellow. His intro to this board can be self inflicted and ill advised. And he can be a good guy. From his two days of posts it looks as though both are true.

If Armon Gates was 60 I'd have reacted differently. He's a young man who looks to be very sincere and hard working. It wouldn't be right besmirch his reputation if it is wholly unjustified. And if it's justified then state what the problem is.

have searched around Gators boards, people there claim they know "rumors" but won't share them... curious what this could be

HipHop-apotamus?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT