ADVERTISEMENT

Gates may no longer be at Florida

So I could have “speculated” Gates being at fault, or even offered some conjecture of he having done something egregious —- and like the Florida posts—- it would have received no pushback?
I disagree.
The pushback here is related to Gates’ past affiliation with your program. I respect and greatly underestimated the loyalty.

Now let me slink outta here! ;)
I think this is the 15th time you said good bye on this thread. The dramatic exit thing isn't really working anymore. :D

That said... since you're probably coming back... why can't you reveal your inside info on the GOOD news we should be expecting? Does it have to do with a certain grad transfer?

Dude, either stay or interact or actually go...the whole "goodbye forever" shtick only to come back for another drive by is way more annoying than the actual posts.

FWIW, I'm sure there's an interesting story here that likely makes both sides look less than pretty.

“Every time I think I’m out - they pull my back!”. ;)

I was gone, but this damn email alert....
There was a poster who was wondering where I was. I foolishly returned and replied.

I think I fixed the settings. So, I won’t get the alerts, and now just need to resist an urge to read and respond!

All the best, folks.

Sorry for the chaos I caused.

Best of luck next year!

1) it has been- in “small doses”.

2) the little I have stated - that Florida made this decision - has been viewed with real skepticism, and has drawn the ire of some.
I suspect anything I could state regarding the reasons would be met with similar .. and likely stronger... response.

I’ve discovered the inevitable path for these type posts ends at the same dead end — “how do you know this?”. So even if I were to post “what I know”, i will ultimately be unable to answer that final question. And so in cases that the information may be disagreeable to the audience, I just open my self up to attack by making such post.
I very much underestimated the push back here relating to a former assistant. That was a mistake and I regret having ever posted. I would probably be better served by not feeling so compelled to defend myself or my post.
Where has it been aired? I’m not skeptical or attacking like others. I just want to know.

Here's an article from Nebraska:

"Less than a month ago, Armon Gates left Northwestern after five seasons to become associate head basketball coach at Florida with a salary of around $350,000.

On Monday, Gates was introduced as a new assistant at Nebraska with no title and at a salary about $100,000 less.

What happened?

Details remain scarce. Gates said he wasn’t fired or pressured to leave. After three weeks on the job and before he moved his family, he had second thoughts about how he “fit’’ into the Florida program.

Gates told Florida coach Mike White about his doubts, and asked permission to talk with Nebraska."​

http://www.omaha.com/huskers/mens-b...cle_ec7fa8d3-8238-562b-b725-8c2fb75e0b10.html

Reactions: DaCat
Here's an article from Nebraska:

"Less than a month ago, Armon Gates left Northwestern after five seasons to become associate head basketball coach at Florida with a salary of around $350,000.

On Monday, Gates was introduced as a new assistant at Nebraska with no title and at a salary about $100,000 less.

What happened?

Details remain scarce. Gates said he wasn’t fired or pressured to leave. After three weeks on the job and before he moved his family, he had second thoughts about how he “fit’’ into the Florida program.

Gates told Florida coach Mike White about his doubts, and asked permission to talk with Nebraska."​

http://www.omaha.com/huskers/mens-b...cle_ec7fa8d3-8238-562b-b725-8c2fb75e0b10.html

Supports my theory that Gates found something unsavory about working at Florida.

Supports my theory that Gates found something unsavory about working at Florida.

I can’t help myself....

“On Monday, Gates was introduced as a new assistant at Nebraska with no title and at a salary about $100,000 less.”

It must have been something profoundly unsavory—— lmao!!!!

He supposedly made the CHOICE to go from Assocatie Head Coach at Florida to a title-less role at Nebraska (a far inferior basketball program whose coach is on the hot seat)... and take a 100k hit. Ok. Lol!

Or just perhaps—— just maybe, it wasn’t Gates’ decision.

No disrespect, but are you really not able to read the tea leaves here????? Honestly????

Good grief.

Alright— I’m out! AGAIN! ;)

ps- can a moderator ban me? I clearly have no self-control! Seriously!

I can’t help myself....

“On Monday, Gates was introduced as a new assistant at Nebraska with no title and at a salary about $100,000 less.”

He supposedly made the CHOICE to go from Assocatie Head Coach at Florida to a title-less role at Nebraska (a far inferior basketball program whose coach is on the hot seat)... and take a 100k hit. Ok. Lol!

No disrespect, but are you really not able to read the tea leaves here????? Honestly????

Good grief.

He screw your girl or something?

I can’t help myself....

Good grief.

So is that now 17 times that you've said you're leaving only to return in order to position yourself as "guy who knows something" without actually backing up that idea?

No.
But I am wondering if he might BE the girlfriend of some of y’all. I’ve never seem a more ardent defense against the obvious.
Cmon- you NW Cats are smarter than this!
I mean, he was our assistant coach, so we are discussing what's happening with him now based on available information.

Why you're here is kind of beyond me at this point, other than to say Florida fired him. Ok...for what? You won't say. What happened? You won't say. Did Gates do something wrong? You won't say.

But it's "obvious".

So is that now 17 times that you've said you're leaving only to return in order to position yourself as "guy who knows something" without actually backing up that idea?

16, by my count.
The previous poster audited the thread and calculated the returns at “15”. This is my first time back since.

No.
But I am wondering if he might BE the girlfriend of some of y’all. I’ve never seem a more ardent defense against the obvious.
Cmon- you NW Cats are smarter than this!

The more you post about this subject, the less credibile you become. You’re long past the point of posing as someone who does not want to spread dirt. Either post a link that sheds some light on what you are talking about or stop posting.

The more you post about this subject, the less credibile you become. You’re long past the point of posing as someone who does not want to spread dirt. Either post a link that sheds some light on what you are talking about or stop posting.

I’m not concerned about internet credibility.
I’m now at the point of laughing at the steadfast refusal of some to simply acknowledge the obvious.
The guy took a far inferior job and for much less money, and that somehow props up one poster’s inane theory that gates left Florida because of something unsavory.
I’m now stopping in just for the comedy!

Reactions: Dugan15
I’m now at the point of laughing at the steadfast refusal of some to simply acknowledge the obvious.
The guy took a far inferior job and for much less money, and that somehow props up one poster’s inane theory that gates left Florida because of something unsavory.
You realize there's like one person here who has the "unsavory" theory...plenty of people (at least I know I have) have acknowledged that it could very well have been or was Florida's decision. Do you really need every single person on this board to agree with you?

If your point is that Florida axed Gates, then ok. I think that's a possibility that has been more than acknowledged.

If your point is that Gates did something egregious, etc. then it's on you to prove that or gtfo.

You realize there's like one person here who has the "unsavory" theory...plenty of people (at least I know I have) have acknowledged that it could very well have been or was Florida's decision. Do you really need every single person on this board to agree with you?

If your point is that Florida axed Gates, then ok. I think that's a possibility that has been more than acknowledged.

If your point is that Gates did something egregious, etc. then it's on you to prove that or gtfo.

Yes, well my reply was to that “one person”.
Others have since responded to my response.

And I’ll go with “gtfo” — until I return. I think it would be “18” at that point.

1) it has been- in “small doses”.

2) the little I have stated - that Florida made this decision - has been viewed with real skepticism, and has drawn the ire of some.
I suspect anything I could state regarding the reasons would be met with similar .. and likely stronger... response.

I’ve discovered the inevitable path for these type posts ends at the same dead end — “how do you know this?”. So even if I were to post “what I know”, i will ultimately be unable to answer that final question. And so in cases that the information may be disagreeable to the audience, I just open my self up to attack by making such post.
I very much underestimated the push back here relating to a former assistant. That was a mistake and I regret having ever posted. I would probably be better served by not feeling so compelled to defend myself or my post.

How about this? You tell us what you think you know, and we promise not to ask you to defend it.

Deal?

I’m just going to clear up this thread right now. Anonymous doesn’t have a clue what happened, and is only here to defend Florida from smearing (justly or not). The rest of us also don’t have a clue what happened, but don’t particular enjoy seeing a former assistant get smeared without backing it in any way, shape or form. There’s also been some hints here (false or not) that Gates had been looking to leave NU for a higher rung on the ladder during this season. That cannot be proved either.

In other words, everyone should just shut up because nobody that’s posted here (including Anonymous) has any frickin’ idea what actually happened, and likely, we’ll never find out. My best guess is both sides are a little to blame, and we should leave it at that.

It might suggest that it wasn't his decision. Or it might suggest that he has a level of integrity that isn't compromised by money.

I for one have walked away from a job that paid multiples of what I was making (at least in the short term) and a lot more what Gates gave up at UF because I didn't think it was a fit career wise, I didn't know if I could do it, and my wife didn't want to move. There are all sorts of reasons why you don't take a job offer even if it pays more.

Basically all that we have from you is that you're disputing positions made as they've been presented by Gates, that we've heard no one from Gainesville or anywhere else denying.

When you first landed here, I gave you the benefit of the doubt and figured you knew something. Consider me having reversed my position and joining those who are calling bullshit. You don't know dick.

When you first landed here, I gave you the benefit of the doubt and figured you knew something. Consider me having reversed my position and joining those who are calling bullshit. You don't know dick.

This is most disconcerting.

At first when Anonymous was here, I thought he just wanted us to guess and that he'd somehow confirm (perhaps by not answering) if we guessed right.

Now I think he's some variation of a troll, albeit one who can use complete sentences, appropriate internet grammar, and is actually polite (at least as far as trolls go), so he's far from a standard troll. He's done nothing to get banned or make everyone hate him (though a lot of you seem to dislike him), which makes his trolling better than the standard troll. The fact that he keeps coming back is because he just can't resist. He's got nothing to gain at this point from setting the record straight and defending the honor of Florida, because we've all heard it 20 times. No one new is going to be convinced, and if you already lean one way or the other, the available news isn't going to sway you. There are all kinds of reasons to take less money or a demotion, not just one.

So, I'll be kind and say thanks for stopping by. You entertained some of us (including me - I didn't mind this conversation at all), and hopefully entertained yourself, and thanks for being polite. If I'm wrong, I'm wrong, but I'd say we've run our course here. Good luck. Go Cats!

At first when Anonymous was here, I thought he just wanted us to guess and that he'd somehow confirm (perhaps by not answering) if we guessed right.

Now I think he's some variation of a troll, albeit one who can use complete sentences, appropriate internet grammar, and is actually polite (at least as far as trolls go), so he's far from a standard troll. He's done nothing to get banned or make everyone hate him (though a lot of you seem to dislike him), which makes his trolling better than the standard troll. The fact that he keeps coming back is because he just can't resist. He's got nothing to gain at this point from setting the record straight and defending the honor of Florida, because we've all heard it 20 times. No one new is going to be convinced, and if you already lean one way or the other, the available news isn't going to sway you. There are all kinds of reasons to take less money or a demotion, not just one.

So, I'll be kind and say thanks for stopping by. You entertained some of us (including me - I didn't mind this conversation at all), and hopefully entertained yourself, and thanks for being polite. If I'm wrong, I'm wrong, but I'd say we've run our course here. Good luck. Go Cats!
Yes, time to go away and not just threaten it.

I think this deserves a sincere, “thank you”.

You can ask.

Many have.

I declined.

Because you know dick. What you have said so far can be tracked back to one guy's post saying it was 100% White's decision.

"The most ITK insider on Gator BB I know said that he's gone and it's 100% UF/White's decision. Said he can't give specifics, so I'm not sure what happened, maybe something missed in vetting process."

This is the main thread on the UF boards talking about the Gates situation.

https://247sports.com/college/florida/Board/14/Contents/Basketball-Asst-gone-117688356?Page=4

Basically, if you read the rest of the thread, it looks like Gator nation has no clue either what happened. Here are the more interesting excerpts from my POV if you don't want to browse yourself:

"So basically White was uncomfortable with having an Associate HC, but couldn’t change job titles on the dude so he just let him go? Pretty shady if so."

"Jeez. Does White have the guts to assert himself as the HC and be alpha dog/boss on the court? I'm curious on that. From that telling, it seems he didn't have the chops to assert himself and make Gates understand that he's the boss of Gates. Could be a small reason why he brought his old staff along when coming to UF."

"Seems more like a 'cold feet, not feeling comfortable making it known he's the boss' sort of fire rather than a 'you're not doing your job and you're not good for this team' type of fire. If that report is true, it looks like White was definitely not comfortable having Gates around being an alpha type himself and promptly got rid of him because he couldn't control that sort of situation."

"2 pretty connected posters on TOS, including one of the guys who coached the spring game this year said there was nothing UF/White did wrong in this situation so TIFWIW."

"Two different sources (one short of the three I needed in J school) tell me Gates came in and wanted hands on a few things that were already delegated to Nichols. Nichols is one of the most respected young assistants in the sport. White wanted to compromise on it, and Gates doubled-down, leaving White to wonder if Gates really wanted to be here or just felt it was the next step to being a HC. Those sources each tell me White told Gates to handle the Phenom tournament and a couple of 2020 guys that week while he thought about it. This can be cleared privately and also isolated Gates from 2019 guys with whom we had relationships-- it's why Tre Mann kept his visit on, and was smart as hell "

I think (just guessing) the last quote above, is probably the closest to the truth because it seems to make sense. Based on this, I'm guessing there was a fit issue - Gates had different expectations what role he would be playing and perhaps White decided it was a mistake to give him Associate Head Coach title (especially if it rubbed Nichols, his long time assistant the wrong way), he said he'd have to take it back, and so Gates left on his own accord. Keep in mind also the point (made somewhere in the thread) that Gates initially turned down the offer, and had to be talked into it. Maybe he was sold on the role in a way that White was either unable to deliver or regretted or otherwise determined was not going to work. That would fit into the narrative of both White/UF making the call based on the makeup and chemistry of the staff, and Gates's assertion that he was not fired.

Because you know dick. What you have said so far can be tracked back to one guy's post saying it was 100% White's decision.

"The most ITK insider on Gator BB I know said that he's gone and it's 100% UF/White's decision. Said he can't give specifics, so I'm not sure what happened, maybe something missed in vetting process."

This is the main thread on the UF boards talking about the Gates situation.

https://247sports.com/college/florida/Board/14/Contents/Basketball-Asst-gone-117688356?Page=4

Basically, if you read the rest of the thread, it looks like Gator nation has no clue either what happened. Here are the more interesting excerpts from my POV if you don't want to browse yourself:

"So basically White was uncomfortable with having an Associate HC, but couldn’t change job titles on the dude so he just let him go? Pretty shady if so."

"Jeez. Does White have the guts to assert himself as the HC and be alpha dog/boss on the court? I'm curious on that. From that telling, it seems he didn't have the chops to assert himself and make Gates understand that he's the boss of Gates. Could be a small reason why he brought his old staff along when coming to UF."

"Seems more like a 'cold feet, not feeling comfortable making it known he's the boss' sort of fire rather than a 'you're not doing your job and you're not good for this team' type of fire. If that report is true, it looks like White was definitely not comfortable having Gates around being an alpha type himself and promptly got rid of him because he couldn't control that sort of situation."

"2 pretty connected posters on TOS, including one of the guys who coached the spring game this year said there was nothing UF/White did wrong in this situation so TIFWIW."

"Two different sources (one short of the three I needed in J school) tell me Gates came in and wanted hands on a few things that were already delegated to Nichols. Nichols is one of the most respected young assistants in the sport. White wanted to compromise on it, and Gates doubled-down, leaving White to wonder if Gates really wanted to be here or just felt it was the next step to being a HC. Those sources each tell me White told Gates to handle the Phenom tournament and a couple of 2020 guys that week while he thought about it. This can be cleared privately and also isolated Gates from 2019 guys with whom we had relationships-- it's why Tre Mann kept his visit on, and was smart as hell "

I think (just guessing) the last quote above, is probably the closest to the truth because it seems to make sense. Based on this, I'm guessing there was a fit issue - Gates had different expectations what role he would be playing and perhaps White decided it was a mistake to give him Associate Head Coach title (especially if it rubbed Nichols, his long time assistant the wrong way), he said he'd have to take it back, and so Gates left on his own accord. Keep in mind also the point (made somewhere in the thread) that Gates initially turned down the offer, and had to be talked into it. Maybe he was sold on the role in a way that White was either unable to deliver or regretted or otherwise determined was not going to work. That would fit into the narrative of both White/UF making the call based on the makeup and chemistry of the staff, and Gates's assertion that he was not fired.

This is way too long to read.
The part I got thru is incorrect.

Dusty May was an Associate Head coach before leaving for FAU. He will be replaced by someone taking the same title. White has no such aversion. I stopped reading there.
I believe Florida will be hiring Al Pinkins to the same role.

This is way too long to read.
The part I got thru is incorrect.

Dusty May was an Associate Head coach before leaving for FAU. He will be replaced by someone taking the same title. White has no such aversion. I stopped reading there.
I believe Florida will be hiring Al Pinkins to the same role.

Yeah, Pinkins has the title.

I still think the last quote I put up is probably correct. Title or no title. There were mismatched expectations, Gates wanted more than White was willing to give and so they had to part ways. It happens.

Yeah, Pinkins has the title.

I still think the last quote I put up is probably correct. Title or no title. There were mismatched expectations, Gates wanted more than White was willing to give and so they had to part ways. It happens.

Ok. My bad—- I didn’t know Florida announced its hire.

Fwiw, I had not read that thread or any excerpt prior to your post.

Last edited:
I can’t help myself....

Good grief.

The joke's on you, my friend. I posted what I did ("unsavory") expressly for the purpose of seeing how long it would take you to take the bait... yes, I trolled you. It took you 30 minutes to respond! BAM! Like clockwork. LOL. But it's okay, you admit you have this strange obsession with this thread, and can laugh about it, so I'm cool with it.

Carry on!

Y’all have been fun chatting with - certainly very engaging!
For those who assign me any credibility (probably no one - lol), feel free to message me if there is anything college basketball related you are wondering about. I may - on occasion- have access to an answer.

Last edited:
The joke's on you, my friend. I posted what I did ("unsavory") expressly for the purpose of seeing how long it would take you to take the bait... yes, I trolled you. It took you 30 minutes to respond! BAM! Like clockwork. LOL. But it's okay, you admit you have this strange obsession with this thread, and can laugh about it, so I'm cool with it.

Carry on!

<To be read in a comic book, villan voice:>

Argh! I’ll get you next time, DaCat!

You haven't heard the last of me!

Reactions: DaCat

In all honesty, I also think this is the most plausible scenario. But I think it is a disservice to Gates if there is a connotation that he was fired. Doesn't seem like it.

I for one have walked away from a job that paid multiples of what I was making (at least in the short term) and a lot more what Gates gave up at UF because I didn't think it was a fit career wise, I didn't know if I could do it, and my wife didn't want to move. There are all sorts of reasons why you don't take a job offer even if it pays more.
But have you ever walked away from a job just days after starting working there?

But have you ever walked away from a job just days after starting working there?

.... and almost immediately after tweeting how great it is?

“Great week on the road recruiting future Gators. See you soon, Gainesville.”

No. No, you won’t.

I once worked with someone on her first day on the job went to lunch and never came back. And it wasn't even a crazy job. I hope she's ok.

I once worked with someone on her first day on the job went to lunch and never came back. And it wasn't even a crazy job. I hope she's ok.

I had a co-worker do the same in his first week.
Said he had a dental appointment.
Never returned.
As I type this, I’m thinking I may have a good pitch for Dateline.

I once worked with someone on her first day on the job went to lunch and never came back.

I worked for a company with someone who pulled the same trick on a manager we never liked in the first place.

The best part was we had the AWOL employee paged about once every three or four days for a month.

Reactions: TheAnonymous13
I had a co-worker do the same in his first week.
Said he had a dental appointment.
Never returned.
As I type this, I’m thinking I may have a good pitch for Dateline.

You’re a slightly more cogent Wrassler.

(That is not a compliment.)

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT