ADVERTISEMENT

Give Fitz much credit...

Most of all they are playing for each other. The Cats against the world mantra is real.
If we post a season winning record, I say offer the reigns to braun. And if he stays, I think A LOT of the current players who still have eligibility will stay too. Let Braun poach a bunch of his top peers at places like ndsu and sdsu for oc, dc, lb, etc for his new staff- and players too, if they are interested. Then, hit the transfer portal ferociously to fill the rest. And hope to Gosh that the kids get into admissions swiftly. I think if this happens, we could overcome the trauma and drama of the summer scandals. My view is that nu football's glass is half full and very well could get fuller sooner than later....

If we post a season winning record, I say offer the reigns to braun. And if he stays, I think A LOT of the current players who still have eligibility will stay too. Let Braun poach a bunch of his top peers at places like ndsu and sdsu for oc, dc, lb, etc for his new staff- and players too, if they are interested. Then, hit the transfer portal ferociously to fill the rest. And hope to Gosh that the kids get into admissions swiftly. I think if this happens, we could overcome the trauma and drama of the summer scandals. My view is that nu football's glass is half full and very well could get fuller sooner than later....
I will agree *BUT* one of those wins has to come over Wisconsin or Iowa, who currently represent upper-tier Big Ten programs.

Minnesota does not. Maryland does not. Neither do Illinois or Purdue. Although UTEP and Howard were not guaranteed wins, if you think they earn someone a head coaching job, then Fitz's coaching mediocrity over the past few seasons did some lasting damage.

I like Braun, and the Maryland win has definitely made me closer than ever to potentially wanting him in the head coaching seat next year...but no, I'm not ready to award a multi-year Big Ten heading coaching contract to someone on the record of beating UTEP, Howard, Minny, Maryland, Illinois, and Purdue, and then some MAC or WAC team in a bowl game.

I was thinking about the team's 4-4 record yesterday. Rather, I was wondering if Fitz could have gotten this team to 4-4 by this point in the season. My answer is no. Fitz was a great coach, but his teams in recent years were defined by low energy and overly cautious strategy.

I am impressed with the Braun has managed to do, and I think he's the right guy for a long-term contract.

I will agree *BUT* one of those wins has to come over Wisconsin or Iowa, who currently represent upper-tier Big Ten programs.

Minnesota does not. Maryland does not. Neither do Illinois or Purdue. Although UTEP and Howard were not guaranteed wins, if you think they earn someone a head coaching job, then Fitz's coaching mediocrity over the past few seasons did some lasting damage.

I like Braun, and the Maryland win has definitely made me closer than ever to potentially wanting him in the head coaching seat next year...but no, I'm not ready to award a multi-year Big Ten heading coaching contract to someone on the record of beating UTEP, Howard, Minny, Maryland, Illinois, and Purdue, and then some MAC or WAC team in a bowl game.
Would you rather have someone who loses to SIU and Miami of Ohio in the same year?

Like many others on this board have expressed, if Braun doesn't get the head coaching job after going 7-6 as in your scenario, I fear there will be a flood of transfers out and we will be resetting from ground zero.

When has Purdue ever had top 25 recruiting classes?
I went to purdue for grad school. 😩 according to the posters on their websites this is absolutely true when brohm was their coach. Have you seen all the stars they have signed? They also got many more on paper bigger stars than nu in the portal. I remember a stud dt that we missed out on because of a "business " decision he got more money from pu...my point is that Braun is doing MUCH more with far less AND in dire circumstances 🤔!

Get ready to yell loudly from the stands...because if the kids keep improving and play o like vs MD and d like vs neb there is a chance it might happen

Get ready to yell loudly from the stands...because if the kids keep improving and play o like vs MD and d like vs neb there is a chance it might happen
For whatever it's worth, I'm definitely rooting for Braun. Obviously if he wins it means we're winning; I just don't want to give him a a big contract (or worse: a half-assed contract) because we're caught up in the moment and suddenly think 5-7 means we're going to the Rose Bowl next year.

But in general I like his mojo, I liked Fitz's strategy to pluck a proven gold-standard winner from the FCS, and the players definitely seem to like him by all accounts.

Would you rather have someone who loses to SIU and Miami of Ohio in the same year?
Those shouldn't be our only two options. That goes back to a comment I made earlier - Fitz's abysmal coaching performance over the past three seasons should not make us thankful for someone who can actually achieve minimum levels of performance and beat teams like these without a constant fear of losing to them.

Reactions: EvanstonCat
I was thinking about the team's 4-4 record yesterday. Rather, I was wondering if Fitz could have gotten this team to 4-4 by this point in the season. My answer is no. Fitz was a great coach, but his teams in recent years were defined by low energy and overly cautious strategy.

I am impressed with the Braun has managed to do, and I think he's the right guy for a long-term contract.
This is all Fitz's staff. Did Fitz call the plays? Does Braun call the plays?

Eh, Fitz only ended up doing what some of us called upon him to do (hire a winning DC from the lower level), but only after destroying all the momentum the program had.

So what?

Excuse me for not having posted in over a week.

If you want to elaborate on why you disagree, go right ahead, but don't try to silence others... (you can always just ignore my post).

Skip Holtz called the 4 "plow straight ahead" plays!

Braun seems like a damned good defensive coordinator.

Especially true since the players nearly outnumbered the spectators on Saturday. We were relatively loud tho.

I am over the fitz thing. Braun is rebuilding from the ashes, just like Walker had to do.
Rebuilding from Ashes? The cupboard wasn’t exactly bare when Walker took over. The fact remains that he only won a title with Barnett’s recruits.

For whatever it's worth, I'm definitely rooting for Braun. Obviously if he wins it means we're winning; I just don't want to give him a a big contract (or worse: a half-assed contract) because we're caught up in the moment and suddenly think 5-7 means we're going to the Rose Bowl next year.

But in general I like his mojo, I liked Fitz's strategy to pluck a proven gold-standard winner from the FCS, and the players definitely seem to like him by all accounts.
It sure beat taking somebody who only failure at the NFL level

You are right, I should just ignore the beatings of this dead horse.
Be happy to have it return. In the ole days, post game pages would have a whole page of new threads with many engaging. Now, well, you can see what it has become. There has been a lunker sighting tho…

Be happy to have it return. In the ole days, post game pages would have a whole page of new threads with many engaging. Now, well, you can see what it has become. There has been a lunker sighting tho…
I don’t participate in the game day thread Bob. I have read a few after the game for Yuks and giggles. This week no.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT