ADVERTISEMENT

Give Riley Leonard and Duke credit

eastbaycat99

Mar 7, 2009
Leonard consistently beat the Cats with his legs and arm. He made few mistakes, and even though the coaches called a number of plays that gave players the chance to stop him, he beat the players with the chance to stop him consistently. He is a player the likes of which NU may not see again this year.

I saw NU as a 4 to 6 win team this year, and this game did not change that.

As a side note, Braun's defensive calls gave players a chance. They were overmatched and did not cash opportunities. I really can't blame the coach

Leonard consistently beat the Cats with his legs and arm. He made few mistakes, and even though the coaches called a number of plays that gave players the chance to stop him, he beat the players with the chance to stop him consistently. He is a player the likes of which NU may not see again this year.

I saw NU as a 4 to 6 win team this year, and this game did not change that.

As a side note, Braun's defensive calls gave players a chance. They were overmatched and did not cash opportunities. I really can't blame the coach
There was one play where the cornerback blitzed and had Leonard dead to rights but whiffed.

Then two other players missed a potential sack.

Then a couple others missed tackles and he turned it into a 20 yard gain in the second quarter.

Absolutely pathetic effort & execution. I agree: Braun has done a nice job so far all around. We need some players who want to hit.

Don’t get me wrong… Duke had the better team today. But I agree that we can win enough games to get to a bowl game.

This Duke team is very experienced and talented. O-line was 4 GRs and a senior. Running backs were seniors .Leonard is at least a 3 year starter. As Coach Braun said we needed to be " the best version of ourselves". We were not today, some crucial mis-steps at crucial times...Henning dropped a key 3rd down pass. drop by a tight end. some big missed tackles (seems to be our MO) on some crucial 3rd downs. A couple missed throws that could have been big..and for the 3rd week in a row the opposing qb made an impossible throw for a big gain turning disaster into a big plus..Having said that I am enjoying watch this team play.....

Reactions: Alaskawildkat
In the word of gcg...no.
A bowl isn
5 wins and a bowl (NU was tied for 1st in APR rankings) could happen. Besides Howard, we still have Nebraska, Illinois, and Purdue.
Of those 4 we will beat Illinois and Howard. Nebraska and Purdue are iffy. Rutgers plain kicked our ass two weeks ago, so how do we make a bowl? The team is inconsistent in it's play and is not able to play major Div 1A programs in a competitive manor thus far.

5 wins and a bowl (NU was tied for 1st in APR rankings) could happen. Besides Howard, we still have Nebraska, Illinois, and Purdue.
Michigan State, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Maryland, and Illannoy are also winnable.

Iowa… it’s a rivalry game so who knows.

Reactions: Alaskawildkat

Maryland will crush us. They are explosive. Wisconsin is also way better. The team I saw today beats Howard and that's about it.

Reactions: 2388bb

Unfortunately, Michigan State is not on the schedule.

But yes, we have chances. We'll learn a bunch against Minny, I think.

The team that played today loses to every team listed sans Illinois and maybe Minnesota. They got their butts handed to them today. UTEP isn't close to B1G quality it seems. Iowa, Whiskey, and Maryland will crush the Cats. MSU will probably win decisively, but not by a blowout. Today was a 2022 performance. No more Mr. Nice guy. I have been trying to be positive throughout the Fitz garbage, but we are going to feel pain til the idiots that run the AD figure out how to build a competitive football program. In fact, can them and hire a real AD. First step is to find a bona fide new HC that can hire assistants that can get the job done and want to advance their careers. Fitz hired a bunch of bums for the most part. He hired guys he liked , were safe, that wouldn't outshine him. They couldn't recruit to save themselves, much less coach. Every coach that is on the offensive side needs to be gone at the end of the season.

Why do you think MSU will beat us badly? I think that is another potential win, they too are having coaching problems with an interim in charge at present.

Why do you think MSU will beat us badly? I think that is another potential win, they too are having coaching problems with an interim in charge at present.
AGAIN, MSU is NOT on the schedule. They will not beat us badly. They stink.

The Fighting Bert’s are also much better than we are right now. We lose to Toledo. The West is awful, but NU is in total disarray. Thank you Bozo and Cookie.

Reactions: FeralFelidae
We don't play MSU, but if we did we would lose by the simple fact that they have better quality players, and coaches, even if their HC is indisposed currently.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT