ADVERTISEMENT

Good luck tomorrow

jwboiler

Sep 2, 2001
I watched a bit of your game against Illinois last night. Something seems to be missing, but I can’t put my finger on it. Lots of turnovers late allowed them to stick around. The talent is there, though, and at some point you will start to play to the level you expect. I’m just hoping that starts next week for you guys! Good luck tomorrow, and I hope for no injuries. Purdue is solid this year, although we were horrible the first two games in Atlantis, and frankly didn’t play well against Louisville, but won. Should be a good game.

Definitely not the same team as last year. Hard to pinpoint why. I think Lindsey might be hurting a bit. BMac looks like he’s trying to do too much.

I also think the Cats are finding out that being the hunter is different than being the hunted.

I think it is several things. First, we are not that quick of a team and quick guards like Te’John Lucas shredded us defensively. More zone may remedy this to an extent. Second, we are a poor shooting team. For as much hype as Falzon gets, he is either in a slump or his abilities are overestimated. BMac, Lindsey are so so. The one x-factor is Vic Law. He is the most athletic player on the team and needs more plays run for him. He can create his own shot. Brown we have yet to see much. Ash has a very rudimentary offensive game. Lastly ball movement. Too much dribbling. The BMac hold until 5 seconds is bad offense. Until some of these things improve we will be a middling to lower tier big ten team

I think the Cats have a good shot to win Sunday if they play up to their potential. They exhibited flashes vs Illini- it is just a matter of sustaining it for further stretches. PU's Swanigan is a pro now right? Good riddance! That guy was a nightmare for us last season. We will see who wants it more tomorrow! I hope it will be another classic!

I think the Cats have a good shot to win Sunday if they play up to their potential. They exhibited flashes vs Illini- it is just a matter of sustaining it for further stretches. PU's Swanigan is a pro now right? Good riddance! That guy was a nightmare for us last season. We will see who wants it more tomorrow! I hope it will be another classic!
Highly unlikely....Purdue is s top 15 at the worst and doesn’t lose at home. If I had to guess, it will be close to 20 Points. If Northwestern plays at their A level it might still be a 10-point loss on the road. Purdue’s ceiling is just so much higher and Northwestern is struggling right now. I like your coach and your players, but I don’t think OT helped much either except you did win. Good luck after tomorrow.

Highly unlikely....Purdue is s top 15 at the worst and doesn’t lose at home. If I had to guess, it will be close to 20 Points. If Northwestern plays at their A level it might still be a 10-point loss on the road. Purdue’s ceiling is just so much higher and Northwestern is struggling right now. I like your coach and your players, but I don’t think OT helped much either except you did win. Good luck after tomorrow.
Pretty accurate if painful assessment. PU is much better and NU got schooled in WLa last year with a better team. Doesn't bode well for the Cats today.

Hate to agree with the PU fan, but we need to play much better ( start making 3’s) to be in this game.

We really need Falzon to get untracked with his shooting. If he starts draining some long threes that will really open things up for our other players.

We really need Falzon to get untracked with his shooting. If he starts draining some long threes that will really open things up for our other players.

Most thought the whole team would shoot better, but Falzon's 3's could start lifting everybody else. He HAS those shots somewhere - we've seen it.

Yep, can't take much issue with what our Boiler friend is saying. Haven't seen anything yet that'd lead me to believe it's reasonable to expect to come out of West Lafayette with a win. Yet that's one of the great things about sports -- you just never know what might happen on a given day. A win here would be phenomenal (and is certainly not impossible), but win or lose, I'd like to see us look like we belong on the floor against a good team like this.

I think we need more speed( Brown and Ash) in our lineup! We held on for the win in OT with a three guard lineup

You'll have to excuse me if I don't hold my breath for Falzon's threes.

I think a more realistic recipe for success will be:

A) Lindsey plays even reasonably on the offensive side of the ball for both halves.
B) The front line stays out of foul trouble.
C) Let's say nine points from Smelly.
D) Four or five points and some decent defense from Ash.

Benson is going to have to give us something in games like this too! He has been playing like he is still in high school! Somebody has got to give him better footwork around the hoop, and score too!

One thing working against the 'Cats is they don't appear ready to exploit Purdue's biggest vulnerability, which is allowing offensive rebounds. NU sits at #275 in OR rate. That puts an even bigger premium on shooting, but the Boilers are #21 in effective FG% defense (#5 against 2-pointers and #111 against threes).

It's also a celebration of the 50th anniversary of Mackey, which will amp the crowd up even more.

One thing working against the 'Cats is they don't appear ready to exploit Purdue's biggest vulnerability, which is allowing offensive rebounds. NU sits at #275 in OR rate. That puts an even bigger premium on shooting, but the Boilers are #21 in effective FG% defense (#5 against 2-pointers and #111 against threes).

It's also a celebration of the 50th anniversary of Mackey, which will amp the crowd up even more.
I stand corrected... you guys played a hell of a game and were very inspired today. It may be the effort that turns your season around. I didn’t really care for Collins’ press conference reaction, I thought it was very petty to call opposing players out like that. Lost a lot of respect for him. Either way, I like your team and more efforts like that and you’ll be dancing again this year as you should be.

I stand corrected... you guys played a hell of a game and were very inspired today. It may be the effort that turns your season around. I didn’t really care for Collins’ press conference reaction, I thought it was very petty to call opposing players out like that. Lost a lot of respect for him. Either way, I like your team and more efforts like that and you’ll be dancing again this year as you should be.

Didn't really hear him call out your players; the clip we saw had him called out the officials, he mentioned that Pardon was getting stitches because took an elbow to the face from Haas, but he wasn't calling him out, just stating what happened...

Didn't really hear him call out your players; the clip we saw had him called out the officials, he mentioned that Pardon was getting stitches because took an elbow to the face from Haas, but he wasn't calling him out, just stating what happened...

But he didn’t get stitches...

I think his press conference came off as pretty whiny to be honest. I think there were several bad calls both ways. Lindsey was very fortunate to not be called for a foul/flagrant against Carsen. When Cline got that rebound, he clearly called timeout even though they awarded a jump ball. Vince Edwards was fouled and lost the ball before Lindsey got blocked by Haarms. Collins needs to stop whining so much.

But he didn’t get stitches...

I think his press conference came off as pretty whiny to be honest. I think there were several bad calls both ways. Lindsey was very fortunate to not be called for a foul/flagrant against Carsen. When Cline got that rebound, he clearly called timeout even though they awarded a jump ball. Vince Edwards was fouled and lost the ball before Lindsey got blocked by Haarms. Collins needs to stop whining so much.

So you really thought he lied about his player needing stiches? Why would he lie about something like that? And how do you know he didn't need stiches?

You'll have to excuse me if I don't hold my breath for Falzon's threes.

I think a more realistic recipe for success will be:

A) Lindsey plays even reasonably on the offensive side of the ball for both halves.
B) The front line stays out of foul trouble.
C) Let's say nine points from Smelly.
D) Four or five points and some decent defense from Ash.

Can't say I disagree, except more likely to see the 4-5 (or more like 6-7) pts/gm from Brown w/ Ash contributing on D.

Lindsey basically had had 3 really bad halves (the GT game and the 1st half of the UI game); one could arguably make a case for Scottie being the most consistent scorer on the team (w/ the other prime candidate being Law).

Smelly (lol) has been playing pretty well, but he's better off the bench and playing against more prototypical PFs.

Oh sh*t!! D*mn autocorrect!!

That seems like something cheap I would do out here, but I didn't misspell SKELLY on purpose.

So you really thought he lied about his player needing stiches? Why would he lie about something like that? And how do you know he didn't need stiches?
He did lie. Pardon told reporters after the game that he didn’t need stitches according to our Rivals site. He was just trying to over exaggerate to make a point about the officiating, but it sure comes off petty. Especially when his team played their best game of the year to date. A super gutty performance by the Cats last night. Play like that the rest of the way and you will be dancing again. Great game.

He did lie. Pardon told reporters after the game that he didn’t need stitches according to our Rivals site. He was just trying to over exaggerate to make a point about the officiating, but it sure comes off petty. Especially when his team played their best game of the year to date. A super gutty performance by the Cats last night. Play like that the rest of the way and you will be dancing again. Great game.

He took a nasty pop to the face, and he reacted in such a way that he may have indeed needed stitches. How do you know that he was lying? Maybe the trainers told him that he needed stitches..

Link to Pardon's interview quotes?

He took a nasty pop to the face, and he reacted in such a way that he may have indeed needed stitches. How do you know that he was lying? Maybe the trainers told him that he needed stitches..

Link to Pardon's interview quotes? He wasn't at the podium in the postgame presser, despite being the leading scorer, which is typically a sign that the player was injured. And Dererk is EXACTLY the type of player to state in a postgame interview that he is not injured when he actually might be; he is tough customer and might not have admitted that the Haas elbow had any effect.

Does one necessarily have problems speaking with stitches in one's mouth? And it only matters what the trainers told CC.
Whether he has stitches or not, the bigger point is Collins sounded like a whiny baby in the post game conference minutes after his team played their best game of the year. It was not a good look.

Whether he has stitches or not, the bigger point is Collins sounded like a whiny baby in the post game conference minutes after his team played their best game of the year. It was not a good look.
Why are you still here? You won. Calling college kids liars is somewhat distasteful or is that something they always do at PU?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT