ADVERTISEMENT

Good win. A couple of notes

T_Levine

May 26, 2010
We are not a very big team

People complaining that Nicholson didn’t play down the stretch. His ft form needs to get better no matter how many he made tonight. Plus collins was playing a five out most of the second half to unclog the lane. It was good coaching.

Big notice. If boo brings up the ball chase isn’t strong at him like give me the ball. And vice versa. Someone has really communicated to both of them how to play within themselves and as duo floor generals.

Beran. What can you say. So much more confidence.

People complaining that Nicholson didn’t play down the stretch. His ft form needs to get better no matter how many he made tonight. Plus collins was playing a five out most of the second half to unclog the lane. It was good coaching.

Big notice. If boo brings up the ball chase isn’t strong at him like give me the ball. And vice versa. Someone has really communicated to both of them how to play within themselves and as duo floor generals.

Great to get a win! To me, it looks like a pretty solid 8-man rotation. What the announcers said is right, though: to have a great year, Boo and Audige would need to be All Big Ten level stars.

Bit of a head scratcher there. MN can’t play five out (which we did not play by the way) but Verhoeven (with his deadly 3 pointer) can?

Bottom line, CC does not trust MN as much as he trusts Verhoeven. If that is right or wrong remains to be seen and is subject to change.

Reactions: drewjin
Bit of a head scratcher there. MN can’t play five out (which we did not play by the way) but Verhoeven (with his deadly 3 pointer) can?

Bottom line, CC does not trust MN as much as he trusts Verhoeven. If that is right or wrong remains to be seen and is subject to change.
For what it's worth, Verhoven is coming up on age 24, and started 47 of 50 games for UTEP last year. Perhaps he trusts his veteran more - who had no TOs in 19 min of play. Yes, Matty had an excellent game and played 19 min to TV's 18, and a few more performances like this he could be the starter by start of B1G.

Also on the topic of "Likely Unsustainable, But I'll Take It As Long As We Can Get Away With It" - Ty Berry pulled down 7 rebounds (paired with 9pts and no TO, that's quite swell).

He snared 11 against the Cougars, putting his Defensive Rebound rate at 24.2. That would put him 2nd place behind Matt Nicholson - 28.9% of all defensive rebs.

Also on the topic of "Likely Unsustainable, But I'll Take It As Long As We Can Get Away With It" - Ty Berry pulled down 7 rebounds (paired with 9pts and no TO, that's quite swell).

He snared 11 against the Cougars, putting his Defensive Rebound rate at 24.2. That would put him 2nd place behind Matt Nicholson - 28.9% of all defensive rebs.
Ty played very well. We often end up concluding a performance like his today was just ok because we see him starting hot and then leveling off. But that’s how it goes for most non superstar players. The other team adjusts, his defender adjusts, helps less, etc. it’s normal and opens spaces elsewhere. It’s up to us to exploit what closing down the Berry door opens.

When you have tydus at the top of the arc and beran down in the corner. That is as close to five out. No one else on the floor at that time was taller than 6’5.

The last ten minutes when we took command Collins didn’t want any big body clogging the lane.

When you have tydus at the top of the arc and beran down in the corner. That is as close to five out. No one else on the floor at that time was taller than 6’5.

The last ten minutes when we took command Collins didn’t want any big body clogging the lane.
Loved Matt’s minutes tonight but agree that Collins made good lineup decisions in the 2nd half and the guys took advantage of the space in the middle of the floor. Thought Barnhizer showed a lot tonight, he looked confident and in control.

I like the idea of a core 8 getting most of the minutes. Would like to see what Hunger can do, though, to know if he can help if/when Tydus/Matt find foul trouble.

Big Matt made his presence felt on both ends.
9/9/2/1/1 on just 5 shots with just 1 foul in 19 minutes is pretty damn solid. I'd be shocked if he's not up around 22-23 minutes per game by conference season.

The bench was tremendous. 8 offensive rebounds, 6 steals, and 25 points on just 14 shots is one of the big differences in the game. That and Murray going 1 for 10 from the field go a long way towards sealing the victory.

MacIntosh most likely

Loved Matt’s minutes tonight but agree that Collins made good lineup decisions in the 2nd half and the guys took advantage of the space in the middle of the floor. Thought Barnhizer showed a lot tonight, he looked confident and in control.

I like the idea of a core 8 getting most of the minutes. Would like to see what Hunger can do, though, to know if he can help if/when Tydus/Matt find foul trouble.

I'm also curious to see what happens when TV/MH get in foul trouble. Too small of a career sample to see if MH is foul prone, but TV is 4.8 Fouls Committed/40 as a starter for UTEP.

I imagine we will go small ball, but expect CCC to stay veteran rather than throw the frosh out there.

What's the difference between Tydus or Matt at the top of the arc?

Georgetown was a team playing like individuals and NU were individuals playing like a team. I guess that is the difference between an all-transfer team playing early in the season and a veteran team that has played together for years. I also think our coaching is better than Georgetown's. I particularly liked Coach Collin's time out in the first half when Georgetown was on a scoring run with a big momentum shift- when play resumed NU regained control. I kind of felt sorry for Pat Baldwin being on that staff-I guess he needed a job.

Collins said Nicholson is 7'1" 270 lbs earlier this year.
I am confident that Matt is at least 7' 1/2" tall.
He made Georgetown's Wahab look "not big enough"

Verhoeven is listed at 6'9" 235.

So lets say 3.5 inches, 35 lbs.

About the same as the difference between Zach Edey and Nicholson.

Age. Experience. Probably mobility.
Mobility, not sure about that one.

But age and experience, yes. That's why he played, because, right now, CC trusts him more to at least not make mistakes than he trusts MN. 5 out, or any configuration, irrelevant. Tydus gives you nothing over MN other than experience.

But age and experience, yes. That's why he played, because, right now, CC trusts him more to at least not make mistakes than he trusts MN. 5 out, or any configuration, irrelevant. Tydus gives you nothing over MN other than experience.
Matt had one turnover on a handoff in the first half. I don't know how he looks in practice. But eventually his impact down low on offense and defense may outweigh any concerns about turnovers. Collins may just have to live with the mistakes, especially when we are not shooting well.

Maybe it is a fluke, but PWB’s plus/minus stats show the team performed much better with Tydus than Bigg Matt in there. It sure seemed like Big Matt was more effective and it is one of the reasons I don’t care for the +/-Stat.

Maybe it is a fluke, but PWB’s plus/minus stats show the team performed much better with Tydus than Bigg Matt in there. It sure seemed like Big Matt was more effective and it is one of the reasons I don’t care for the +/-Stat.
We're discussing this point in that other thread. It seems possible that Tydus was doing things well that didn't show up on camera. Moving on offense, setting screens, staying with his man on defense, cutting down passing angles. That's not as exciting as scoring, offensive putbacks, blocked shots, etc... but contributes to a team victory. I don't know if any of this is true, but it's an interesting hypothesis.

Reactions: ricko654321
We're discussing this point in that other thread. It seems possible that Tydus was doing things well that didn't show up on camera. Moving on offense, setting screens, staying with his man on defense, cutting down passing angles. That's not as exciting as scoring, offensive putbacks, blocked shots, etc... but contributes to a team victory. I don't know if any of this is true, but it's an interesting hypothesis.
All that shows up on camera. People just don’t look for it.

Reactions: ballerog711
That was a pleasure to watch... it amazes me we still really only have one good ballhandler in Boo but outside of that I like the look of Barnhizer and MN (needs to work on his box out game) and Audige fits the streaky best athlete on our team role that we've had for the last few years. This has the look of a fun year after what's been a dismal year of Football.

• Love

I'd add free throw shooting.

I'd add free throw shooting.
Verhoeven is 0 for 2 from the line for Northwestern...
Career he is "automatic" with his 57.6 success rate.

Nicholson is knocking 'em down at about a 52% rate over the last 2 years. (13 of 25)

Scorecard

Rebounding: Nicholson
Dunking: Nicholson
Passing: not sure
Shot blocking: Nicholson
Holding the ball high: Nicholson
Experience: Verhoeven
Not Clogging up the Lane: Verhoeven
Dominating the Lane: Nicholson
Running the Floor: Nicholson or even
Defensive switches: Verhoeven
Not scaring his teammates Verhoeven