ADVERTISEMENT

Harbaugh and Fitz

Aging Booster

Apr 10, 2014
I admit it up front - I have always liked Harbaugh. From his first week in practice with the Bears when he slugged a veteran and Ditka called him one of his guys, I knew the guy had moxie. The article in USA Today about Harbaugh and Fitz is great reading. I have no idea if these guys really get along, but my guess is that if they were not competitors, they'd enjoy sharing a few beers together in the local pub. Check out the article - good publicity for both schools and the Big ten.

My knee-jerk reaction to the article (linked) is honestly one of disappointment.

I'm glad Harbaugh is in the Big Ten, because I believe he can raise the competitive nature of the entire league from top to bottom. My hope was that Fitz would legitimately grow to despise him and hate losing to him the way we hate war and natural disasters. Instead...they're bros, which takes all the teeth out of the peripheral value I figured he'd bring to NU by competing against us.

I'm happy that Fitz took the invitation to the camp that most other coaches didn't seem to have the courage to take - it was a high-risk/high-reward proposition and we should be proud of Fitz for doing it. But I'm also fast-forwarding 3-4 years into the future when we lose to Michigan by three TDs and Fitz is in the post-game congratulating his "friend and colleague Coach Harbaugh and his young men on a well-earned victory."

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...ichigan-jim-harbaugh-football-camps/28825711/

I'm happy that Fitz took the invitation to the camp that most other coaches didn't seem to have the courage to take - it was a high-risk/high-reward proposition and we should be proud of Fitz for doing it. But I'm also fast-forwarding 3-4 years into the future when we lose to Michigan by three TDs and Fitz is in the post-game congratulating his "friend and colleague Coach Harbaugh and his young men on a well-earned victory."

I'm glad Fitzgerald is doing this. No downside to getting the NU brand out there. And I'll give Pat this, he is always classy in the post-game interviews, win or lose. Whether or not he and Jimbo become BFFs as a result of these camps you'd probably hear the same words after a game.

My knee-jerk reaction to the article (linked) is honestly one of disappointment.

I'm glad Harbaugh is in the Big Ten, because I believe he can raise the competitive nature of the entire league from top to bottom. My hope was that Fitz would legitimately grow to despise him and hate losing to him the way we hate war and natural disasters. Instead...they're bros, which takes all the teeth out of the peripheral value I figured he'd bring to NU by competing against us.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...ichigan-jim-harbaugh-football-camps/28825711/

What I say publicly and what I say in private are two different things.

My friend's son (OL from Cleveland area) attended and told his father Fitz's talk was the highlight of camp for him because it was focused almost entirely on academics. His parents are both U-M grads.

I admit it up front - I have always liked Harbaugh. From his first week in practice with the Bears when he slugged a veteran and Ditka called him one of his guys, I knew the guy had moxie. The article in USA Today about Harbaugh and Fitz is great reading. I have no idea if these guys really get along, but my guess is that if they were not competitors, they'd enjoy sharing a few beers together in the local pub. Check out the article - good publicity for both schools and the Big ten.

Yeah... there's no love lost between Harbaugh and Fitz.

Coaches have these camps because they are self serving. When Harbaugh invited other coaches to participate it was self serving. If a high profile coach agreed to come, it would give Harbaugh potential access to players who come because of the other coaches. If they don't partake, it makes them look like they are afraid.

Fitz attended because it gives him access to players who are talented enough to be recruited or at least considered by Michigan, and maybe he can get them to consider NU.

The Saban's and Meyer's didn't attend because they won't take the Harbaugh Bait and because they don't need Harbaugh to order to gain access to players. They can attract them on their own.

Reactions: NJCat83588
Coaches have these camps because they are self serving. When Harbaugh invited other coaches to participate it was self serving. If a high profile coach agreed to come, it would give Harbaugh potential access to players who come because of the other coaches. If they don't partake, it makes them look like they are afraid.

Fitz attended because it gives him access to players who are talented enough to be recruited or at least considered by Michigan, and maybe he can get them to consider NU.

The Saban's and Meyer's didn't attend because they won't take the Harbaugh Bait and because they don't need Harbaugh to order to gain access to players. They can attract them on their own.

Precisely. Which doesn't make Fitzgerald wrong, it only means he knows exactly where he stands vis-a-vis the real Power 5 schools.

Very good point. Is all about marketing these days and if Fitz was the most impressive speaker in the eyes of most of the campers... MISSION ACCOMPLISHED.

was there any love lost between fitz and hoke? because "welp...awwe shucks...he got the best of us again" seemed to be a common theme in that relationship...

What do you expect him to say? "I wish we had beaten them because I think he's a real jackass"?

I believe Harbaugh is intelligent and obviously a good coach, he is also a bit eccentric and seems to be getting more so by the day. That may be endearing to some but may put others off.

If the coach of my team is a good speaker, carries himself well, and gives off an air of confidence and stability, I'd love for him to be able to address recruits along side Harbaugh. Let the Harbaugh name bring in the prospects, and allow my coach to serve as a contrast to Harbaugh. You won't get everyone, but you may be able to grab a few surprises.

What do you expect him to say? "I wish we had beaten them because I think he's a real jackass"?

My point is much more about wanting Fitz to want to beat Harbaugh in the same way a drowning man wants a gasp of air, versus it becoming a tolerable loss, for which I feel Fitz has most certainly developed a tolerance. I've seen references to Fitz "hating" to lose but I literally do not see any signs of that, and I've truly hoped that Harbaugh's arrival in the league would elicit the kind of visceral, passionate hatred he's been able to cultivate everywhere else he's ever been.

My point is much more about wanting Fitz to want to beat Harbaugh in the same way a drowning man wants a gasp of air, versus it becoming a tolerable loss, for which I feel Fitz has most certainly developed a tolerance. I've seen references to Fitz "hating" to lose but I literally do not see any signs of that, and I've truly hoped that Harbaugh's arrival in the league would elicit the kind of visceral, passionate hatred he's been able to cultivate everywhere else he's ever been.

An absurd comment. Do you want Fitz to break a chair or say something nasty about Michigan? He should sacrifice class to reassure you he's competitive so you can stop making claims that he "literally" doesn't mind losing?

Last edited:
Reactions: FakeFitz
An absurd comment. Do you want Fitz to break a chair or say something nasty about Michigan? He should sacrifice class to reassure you he's competitive so you can stop making claims that he "literally" doesn't mind losing?

Are the fans on this site so literal that they have to take everything at face value? I barely graduated from NU and even I know better than that.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT