ADVERTISEMENT

Hats off for the win

HailToPitt725

May 16, 2016
Or maybe keep them on, it was a cold one. I'm not here to complain about hits or tackles. Most of the helmet hits were incidental and they weren't able to adjust in time.

I was impressed by your offense. The running game was very good, the line was physical, and the passes set up by the runs were very good, especially the screens and the 4th down score where you got the receiver open in the flats by routing the rest of the receivers to the other side of the field, very good play call. Good luck in the future and beat Penn State.

Thanks. We played very well but I hated to see Connor and Peterman go off like that. I am glad you realize none of those hits were intentional. The replays clearly showed they were not and NU does not have a track record of playing like that. Good luck next year.

Reactions: YesterdaysCat
Thanks. We played very well but I hated to see Connor and Peterman go off like that. I am glad you realize none of those hits were intentional. The replays clearly showed they were not and NU does not have a track record of playing like that. Good luck next year.
I've had much respect for Coach Fitzgerald and his program for a long time, it's impressive when you not only turn a program around but then stick with it when the big time offers come. Prime example of what other non-blue bloods need, first example being us. Your fans are also very nice and knowledgeable. I know one and he represents your school very well.

It was disappointing seeing all the seniors going down like that, but that didn't take away our flat start and questionable play calling. Seemed like the OC was half way out the door to LSU. But that flat start also doesn't negate the fact that NW outplayed for most of the game. Great use of run and pass game and defense made plays when you needed them.

Class act HailtoPitt. Hope you guys have a great year next year. A fun bowl game in NYC. Great performance by our Cat's to beat a very good Pitt team.

I like Narduzzi and it was bittersweet beating his team without two major players. On the other hand it was great to see Pat go for it on 4th so often. Just a delight and he is not allowed to go back to Stay Pat next season.

Reactions: Noah121
I like Narduzzi and it was bittersweet beating his team without two major players. On the other hand it was great to see Pat go for it on 4th so often. Just a delight and he is not allowed to go back to Stay Pat next season.
How much of that is just not trusting his kicking game at all? I know he had no interest in sending Niswander back out there after the blocked punt.

As a Penn State fan, just want to congratulate you guys on the win. Way to represent the B1G and your school. Enjoy the victory and good luck next year.

How much of that is just not trusting his kicking game at all? I know he had no interest in sending Niswander back out there after the blocked punt.

I and almost expected Fitz to gamble with taking a safety when we had to punt from the back of the end zone because the risk of either punt block or shank with Pitt getting the ball at around our 35-40 with 2 minutes left was high. A safety would stil have required Pitt to get a TD although it would be for the win. Kudos to him for booming a good punt.

I and almost expected Fitz to gamble with taking a safety when we had to punt from the back of the end zone because the risk of either punt block or shank with Pitt getting the ball at around our 35-40 with 2 minutes left was high. A safety would stil have required Pitt to get a TD although it would be for the win. Kudos to him for booming a good punt.

That was the best punt of Niswander's career. One of the few times I've seen him boom a kick in a clutch situation. A great time to step up. Way to go Hunter!

Reactions: Noah121
Everyone loves it when a coach goes for it, when it works. The gambles made sense in the context of the game - although I didn't like passing on 3rd down. Going for it just for the sake of going for it and being a riverboat gambler gets old really fast when it doesn't go your way.

I was really surprised to see Pitt not go after the punter on that kick from the endzone. They blocked one before and almost got two. Niswander seemed sooooo slow getting the punts off all day. They really helped us by dropping off into return mode (and then holding on the play as well!).

Everyone loves it when a coach goes for it, when it works. The gambles made sense in the context of the game - although I didn't like passing on 3rd down. Going for it just for the sake of going for it and being a riverboat gambler gets old really fast when it doesn't go your way.

So "I like going for it, but reserve the right to bitch when it doesn't work."

I think a little of that and buying into the theory that the risk reward in going for it vs. punting isn't as clear in college as it is in the pros.
Considering Pitt's very potent offense, giving them the ball at the 45 compared to the 20 and guaranteeing no game changing run back or block isn't a big difference. Add to that NU's strong run game and Pitt's weak pass D. In this game especially it made good sense to go for it. In some ways it was the safe play considering what is the worst that can happen.

Reactions: Purple Pile Driver
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT