ADVERTISEMENT

Have to be able to score TDs instead of FGs

CaliforniaCat

Sep 6, 2001
Too many times in recent years the Cats have not been able to convert short yardage into a TD. And Saturday was no exception. 1st and goal at the 5 yard line gives you three plays to move the ball just 5 yards before kicking a FG. Sure the defense stiffens, but these TDs have to be made if we are going to compete in the B1G.
We used to have a Jumbo package just for this purpose, but that doesn't seem to be the case anymore. Needs to be fixed urgently.

I liked the call with Thorson rolling out...would have liked to have seen him try to run it instead of trying to force that throw. Good learning experience for Clayton though considering it was his first college game. The future is bright and he will only get better.

Too many times in recent years the Cats have not been able to convert short yardage into a TD. And Saturday was no exception. 1st and goal at the 5 yard line gives you three plays to move the ball just 5 yards before kicking a FG. Sure the defense stiffens, but these TDs have to be made if we are going to compete in the B1G.
We used to have a Jumbo package just for this purpose, but that doesn't seem to be the case anymore. Needs to be fixed urgently.

This is where we should be playing the read option.

do we still have the QB sneak in our playbook? or are we afraid that the feared injury Genie would strike?

In the long run, you're absolutely right.

In reference to the particular series against Stanford, there was some gamesmanship at play -- an easy chip shot field goal can make it a two score game while your defense has been playing lights out, so you want to tick as much time as possible off the clock. Plus Stanford only had two timeouts, so you knew they weren't going to call one that early in the quarter.

In the long run, you're absolutely right.

In reference to the particular series against Stanford, there was some gamesmanship at play -- an easy chip shot field goal can make it a two score game while your defense has been playing lights out, so you want to tick as much time as possible off the clock. Plus Stanford only had two timeouts, so you knew they weren't going to call one that early in the quarter.
The why the pass on third from the 2? I know "pass" is synonymous with "aggressive" but I would've preferred a run and let the clock run of we don't get it. We were more successful with the run all day and was getting push against Stanfords undersized dline all day. I'd give the big guys and Jackson 1 more shot.

The why the pass on third from the 2? I know "pass" is synonymous with "aggressive" but I would've preferred a run and let the clock run of we don't get it. We were more successful with the run all day and was getting push against Stanfords undersized dline all day. I'd give the big guys and Jackson 1 more shot.

Because that was a run/pass option play. With more experience, Thorson probably keeps it to try to turn the corner or flips the ball to Vitale in the flat once the defender commits to him.

Because that was a run/pass option play. With more experience, Thorson probably keeps it to try to turn the corner or flips the ball to Vitale in the flat once the defender commits to him.

Exactly...sure looked like out of green out towards the sideline. Would have loved to have seen Thorson make a play himself as opposed to forcing it. I expect our goal line effectiveness to improve dramatically after the Hammer has had more game experience.

Goal line Ds are hard to run between the tackles as they generally have at least 8 in the box and have little area to cover. I thought it was a good call with less than effective execution.

There were enough aspects of the game on Saturday that were reminiscent of recent past years to cause nervousness about this year. One that was not was scoring only 16 points, and still winning, as our defense is apparently alive and well. Of all the tendencies to go conservative (and those were evident Saturday also), the most annoying to me is to run up the middle as we approach the goal line. In the recent past we haven't had the backs to do that. Perhaps now we do. But, It is as big or bigger risk not to take risk than to take risk in the red zone. What was that play from the Gator bowl--the fumble-roo-ski? That didn't fail because it was risky.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT