ADVERTISEMENT

Head-to-head: Recent run gives U-M slight edge over NU in recruiting

I don’t know Lou, I think “slight” edge is being generous to NU. As you mentioned, they offer a ton of kids, I don’t think they pursued any of the 4 we got all that hard. OTOH, JJ was THE top guy we targeted for 2021. Doubt anyone is going to change that. Henning was a top instate guy that NU has recruited since he was a Freshman. Mullings was a guy that would have jumped to the top of our class too and this likely came down to a head to head battle. I am giving Michigan a big edge.

Having said that, NU has the makings of its best class since 2014. A lot of top talent here and after we repeat as West Champions, we’ll get an even better class.

I don’t know Lou, I think “slight” edge is being generous to NU. As you mentioned, they offer a ton of kids, I don’t think they pursued any of the 4 we got all that hard. OTOH, JJ was THE top guy we targeted for 2021. Doubt anyone is going to change that. Henning was a top instate guy that NU has recruited since he was a Freshman. Mullings was a guy that would have jumped to the top of our class too and this likely came down to a head to head battle. I am giving Michigan a big edge.

Having said that, NU has the makings of its best class since 2014. A lot of top talent here and after we repeat as West Champions, we’ll get an even better class.

Of course it’s generous. This is an NU site.

The bottom line is that nine guys got offers from both schools, and five picked Michigan and four picked NU. That’s pretty close. Now, Michigan landed five of the six four-stars as I pointed out in the story and you mention above. But in my mind TeRah and Priebe should be four-stars as well. I’m not going to argue your point on JJ. While I mentioned him in the story, my comparison is for 2020 only.

I thought I'd put Michigan's recent run of recruiting wins in perspective. All is not as bad as it seems....

Despite three recruiting losses this week, Northwestern is holding its own against Michigan this cycle.

Head-to-head: Recent run gives U-M slight edge over NU in recruiting ($)
Sorry but they got the big ones that they were really going after. More like 5-1. Not as close as you suggest

So you’re saying that Edwards, Joseph and Priebe don’t count?

Reactions: DkeCat
NU is not going to purely out-recruit Michigan for the foreseeable future. Fitz and Co. continue to identify guys that are likely to show interest in what NU offers and especially lately has stepped up in hitting Plan A guys.

Didn’t get Henning, but got a great one in Rahmaan-Yaseen.

Didn’t get Zinter or Persi, but got great ones in Priebe, Skoronski, etc.

Didn’t get Mullings, but maybe will get a great one in Cullen Coleman.

NU is not going to purely out-recruit Michigan for the foreseeable future. Fitz and Co. continue to identify guys that are likely to show interest in what NU offers and especially lately has stepped up in hitting Plan A guys.

Would like to beat UM for Kris Jenkins as well.

Now, Michigan landed five of the six four-stars as I pointed out in the story and you mention above.

That is what is known in upper circles as "getting stomped.".

You show great determination to finish the article.

Not saying they don't count. But MICH puts out a lot of offers and some are more secondary MICH offers that if they accept that Hairballs is likely to try to recruit over. Mich has averaged over 5 decommits a year for a reason. For the most part, the bigger recruits, MICH seemed to put on a harder push won most of the head to head battles. We often win when the players see the potential for more playing time with us than they see at MICH

The bottom line is that nine guys got offers from both schools, and five picked Michigan and four picked NU. That’s pretty close. Now, Michigan landed five of the six four-stars as I pointed out in the story and you mention above. But in my mind TeRah and Priebe should be four-stars as well. I’m not going to argue your point on JJ. While I mentioned him in the story, my comparison is for 2020 only.
I am happy we have elevated the quality of NU targets to have this argument. I have said it many times, slowly but surely our talent improves. Terah, Priebe and Joseph will be good players for NU.

Reactions: hdhntr1
Not saying they don't count. But MICH puts out a lot of offers and some are more secondary MICH offers that if they accept that Hairballs is likely to try to recruit over. Mich has averaged over 5 decommits a year for a reason. For the most part, the bigger recruits, MICH seemed to put on a harder push won most of the head to head battles. We often win when the players see the potential for more playing time with us than they see at MICH

Michigan is very into “uncommittable” offers. I recall seeing a prospect explicitly say “my Michigan offer just became committable” in an interview.

That’s nuts.

Reactions: StreamCat
Would never trade the way we recruit for the way Michigan recruots, even if the results were better. Not ever.

And they STILL cant win freakin' games in the second half of the season, when it counts, to save their lives...

Would never trade the way we recruit for the way Michigan recruots, even if the results were better. Not ever.

And they STILL cant win freakin' games in the second half of the season, when it counts, to save their lives...
I'm kind of surprised that you don't want Nu to have better recruiting results.

I think that's the important point though. From top to bottom this is shaping up to be arguably Fitz's strongest class, and we've been able to say that successively for a few years.

And as we've seen on the field, we're at the point where nobody in the division can just beat us on talent alone.

Just keep winning, keep winning a larger % of recruiting battles, and keep building. As long as the program keeps improving, I don't see any negatives. Yes, it's a bit optimistic to say we're closing in on Michigan in head-to-head results for top recruits, but we're the closest we've been under Fitz on that front, and there's no reason why we can't keep improving from here.

Reactions: hdhntr1
Out of the top 15 in-state players in Michigan in the class of 2020, 3 have committed to Michigan, and 2 have committed to us. No one else has more that one, and zero have committed to MSU, btw. Sounds like we are faring decently...

Reactions: Hungry Jack

TeRah and Priebe are definitely 4 star worthy recruits. Thanks for pointing that out Lou. Plus, any discussion of JJ has to include HJ. Definite edge to NU there.

GOUNUII

actually, i thought your story was fair and not too purple colored.
I doubt Harbaugh expected losing this many recruits to us. Actually, before I read your story, i wouldnt have guessed we beat michigan on 5 players.
Interesting.

Reactions: mikewebb68

Coaching is more important than recruiting

actually, i thought your story was fair and not too purple colored.
I doubt Harbaugh expected losing this many recruits to us. Actually, before I read your story, i wouldnt have guessed we beat michigan on 5 players.
Interesting.
MICH has a class of 19 so far with12 of them being 4 star (including the 5 we had as top targets that they beat us head to head). They put out 4 times as many offers as we do and cannot put the same effort into all of them. They are going to be beaten out by someone on a large% of their offers. Unless they are their top targets with no one close to their importance, I don't think Hairballs and company are going to get too concerned as they have 5 other guys at a similar level that they are going after while our restrictions generally means that we do not.

MICH has a class of 19 so far with12 of them being 4 star (including the 5 we had as top targets that they beat us head to head). They put out 4 times as many offers as we do and cannot put the same effort into all of them. They are going to be beaten out by someone on a large% of their offers. Unless they are their top targets with no one close to their importance, I don't think Hairballs and company are going to get too concerned as they have 5 other guys at a similar level that they are going after while our restrictions generally means that we do not.

1) A large proportion of those offers are “uncommittable.”

2) Why are we surprised that Michigan is recruiting at a high level?

3) Go ahead and compare recruiting rankings all day. Couldn’t care less.

4) Try comparing B1G records since Harbaugh arrived at Michigan.

#4 especially. That recruiting is comparable to OSU's bur their record is nowhere near. Wonder why?

Coaching is more important than recruiting

Urban Meyer said, “Coaching gets you the first 5 yards on a play, recruiting gets you the rest.”

I would extrapolate that to, “Coaching wins you games, recruiting wins you championships.”.... and of course....“Coaching AND recruiting wins multiple Championships.”
I’d extrapolate that to coaching wins you games, recruiting wins you more games, both wins you championships, paying players wins you multiple championships.

Reactions: BFDCat

No one is surprised that Mich is recruiting at a high level.

We have not beaten Mich in a while and their level of recruiting over ours is the biggest reason.

Hairballs took over a down Mich. He has the same conference record over the last four years that we do . But he has 4 losses to OSU among his 9 losses and we only played them once in season. With him at the head, Mich has beaten us each time we played

That might be the case if they were within 4 wins of OSU during Harbaugh's tenure. But, as you know, they're not...
Sorry but those 4 losses make a huge difference. If they had not played, OSU has 4 losses to Michigan 5. If Mich wins 2 of those games records within one game with OSU having 6 conference losses and Mich 7 and if they had won 3 or 4, they would have the better conference record. Those 4 wins by OSU make a huge difference. In addition Hairballs took over a struggling Mich team and the hangover resulted in a 4 BIG loss season that OSU did not experience. Make that even a 2 loss season and it gets much tighter.

That might be the case if they were within 4 wins of OSU during Harbaugh's tenure. But, as you know, they're not...
Seems like Michigan is always overranked or just underproduces, since Harbaugh. I don't have the hate against him like some do here. I think overall that he is good for football and has proven to be a good coach. Because of his history of winning, I was hoping that he wouldn't end up at Michigan. But even though he hasn't loss to us, IMO he has done a crappy job there. One in which I'm guessing Michigan fans are uncomfortable with.

So I'm confused about this year. On the one hand, I don't believe their high ranking is justified, based on all of the love Michigan has received in prior seasons but then never lived up, under Harbaugh. But on the other hand, I'm glad we aren't playing them. Does that make sense?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT