ADVERTISEMENT

Hey Alaska

You guys are so funny.

Hey, but thanks for giving me an excuse to post a travelogue with photos.

The closest I got to the OP's request was visiting a mixed bathing Onsen (Hot Springs) in Japan last week, but no cameras were allowed. So here instead you get the boring "slide show" that follows which I had put together Friday morning while still on board the ship"

As I post these photos of a somewhat historic record, I am on board the Diamond Princess Cruise Ship as it prepares to pull into the same Yokohama Japan port after its first completed open to the public Japanese cruise since the last such cruise caught the world's attention. Then in February of 2020 its passengers remained quarantined aboard the Diamond Princess marking the beginning of COVID (or "Corona" as the Japanese call it).

These images were captured over the past nine days with my Nikon D750 camera equipped with an AF-S Nikkor 28-300 mm lens.

Pictured first is Mount Fuji as it was viewed from the Shinkansen bullet train as it took us to Yokohama for boarding the Diamond Princess which had just arrived in Japan from its transitioning cruise that had originated in San Diego, its temporary home port where it had plied the waters of the West Coast and Mexico at the end of 2022.

While Yokohama is now once again the Diamond Princess's home port, it is of note that the Japanese government for the present is only allowing it to operate in Japan with a maximum 60% passenger capacity.

DSC_7547.jpg

Here are my photos recording this past week's "historic" departure from Yokohama.

DSC_7574.jpg

DSC_7581.jpg

DSC_7591.jpg

DSC_7589.jpg

Last edited:
Continued ...

Captured below are selected images from various of the ports of call included in the nine day Japan cruise which also included the first return to Korea as a port by the Diamond Princess since three years ago. The included Korean port was on the island of Jeju. The theme of this inaugural Japan cruise was "Spring Flowers Tour" and accordingly the selected photos include such flowers, and in particular Sakura (Cherry Blossom trees in bloom) in both Korea and Japan.

DSC_7625.jpg

DSC_7691.jpg

DSC_7762.jpg

DSC_7700.jpg

DSC_7768.jpg

DSC_7772.jpg

At the end (or at least closer to it) ...

Notably the cruise ship made news and was welcomed at the Japan ports of call which had not seen a cruise ship for some three years. For example a local TV station's camera crew in Miyazaki captured us waving as we boarded the first tour bus to exit from the Diamond Princess. Pictured below is the send off from Nagasaki as viewed from our balcony:

DSC_7986.jpg

DSC_8013.jpg

DSC_8002.jpg

Reactions: Arlcatsfan
OK, for those admirable souls who have made it this far, this is absolutely the end. (Sorry, no popcorn to share as we used it all up to insulate our egg for the two level atrium egg drop competition. Actually worked out pretty well as the egg remained unbroken and our team got second closest to the target. (Something like how our Wildcats ended up second in the regular season Big Ten placing.)

Concluding - Sakura as seen at our last port of call in Wakayama:
DSC_8265.jpg

DSC_8282.jpg

DSC_8273.jpg

Last edited:
OK, for those admirable souls who have made it this far, this is absolutely the end. (Sorry, no popcorn to share as we used it all up to insulate our egg for the two level atrium egg drop competition. Actually worked out pretty well as the egg remained unbroken and our team got second closest to the target. (Something like how our Wildcats ended up second in the regular season Big Ten placing.)

Concluding - Sakura as seen at our last port of call in Wakayama:
DSC_8265.jpg

DSC_8282.jpg

DSC_8273.jpg
Well, no point in taking this trip now since we've seen it all through the lens of your camera!

Couple questions.

The statue in one of your photos looks like one of the Dol Hareubangs that you find in Cheju Island . . . or like the fan sitting next to me at a blistering cold Minnesota game a few years back. Was South Korea a port of call?

Can't place that Normandy style building among the windmills. I've seen it somewhere. Where is that? Nagasaki given the Dutch history there?

Last edited:
Reactions: Alaskawildkat
Couple questions.

The statue in one of your photos looks like one of the Dol Hareubangs that you find in Cheju Island . . . or like the fan sitting next to me at a blistering cold Minnesota game a few years back. Was South Korea a port of call?

Can't place that Normandy style building among the windmills. I've seen it somewhere. Where is that? Nagasaki given the Dutch history there?
Pretty close on both accounts. The statue is one of a pair that are seen all over the place on South Korea's Jeju Island. Truth be told I could have included its mate but then the photo would have included a horde of tourists that were walking between them. FWIW, the following photo's temple interior as pictured above is within the same distant temple seen in the statue photo. (Unlike the Buddhist temples in Japan, the Koreans welcomed photographing inside theirs.)

Now as to how that fan got next to you at the cold Minnesota game --- I have no answer for that.

You are absolutely correct about the tulips and windmills being located near Nagasaki given the Dutch history there. For those less familiar with Japan's isolationist history, until Captain Perry's Black Ships forced the opening of Japan in 1858, there was only a small artificial island (Dejima) linked to Nagasaki that foreigners were allowed to habit and Nagasaki was Japan's sole link to the rest of the world through the Dutch (and prior to 1639 Portuguese) merchants residing there. After the Portuguese were expelled in 1639 only Dutch ships were allowed entry.

The Normandy styled building is a hotel at the entrance to the Nagasaki/Sasebo Dutch park which is named "Huis Ten Busch" otherwise known as Japan's Little Holland.

Here is a view of Sakura trees in bloom on a Nagasaki hillside (once the home of Madame Butterfly's real life son, Tom Glover) as our ship pulled away: Today one can hike up the Nagasaki hill to see the location of the Glover Estate which is surrounded by a park - something we did on a prior visit to Nagasaki.

Here is a link to the real story behind the Opera Madame Butterfly.

The story behind the Opera Madame Butterfly

DSC_8028.jpg

Last edited:
Volcanoes tell us much of what we need to know about our planet. The angry penis, the rest.

To borrow from the lyrics of the show playing on the "Theatre Under the Stars," here are a few of my favorite "things" on and from board the Diamond Princess Cruise Ship earlier this month. It was its inaugural returned to Japan cruise after a three year hiatus:
IMG_7724_q9UK6CnaU3wmS8SUeLC8D8.jpg

IMG_6072.jpg

IMG_8044_(1)_vTiN594XAap4DUL5nLiCNW.jpg

IMG_5844.jpg

IMG_8029_3v9wEQRNLU12Ytv8jobkwr.jpg

IMG_8027.jpg

The contestants line up for the two-story atrium egg drop competition:
IMG_8051.jpg

IMG_8055.jpg

IMG_8082_ewbgvY3GxAJShWcbowuNJP.jpg

IMG_7736_4NKBd71SsJWMU6K9NjKQGD.jpg

IMG_7049.jpg

DSC_8032.jpg

DSC_8022.jpg

DSC_8053.jpg

DSC_7589.jpg

Why do I think we are about to see one?

Cruise ships terrify me.

Well I did end up back on land in Hawaii but compliance with the OP's original request would likely be even more terrifying.

Anyway, here are a few from our Wakayama port-of-call on the southern coast of Japan's main island of Honshu that include a "tea house" at which our hosts treated us:

IMG_7957_(1).jpg

IMG_7977.jpg

IMG_7971.jpg

IMG_7973.jpg

IMG_7974.jpg

I was afraid as I was scrolling this thread that the thong would appear around the hot tub pictures...

Reactions: Alaskawildkat
Our recent Japan travels took us to a location where we chanced upon a mausoleum that brought to life lessons I had learned while studying Japanese History as a college student at Northwestern which included the time period when the Tokugawa Bakufu ruled Japan. For those with a shared interest in Japan's history, hopefully the following narrative and photos will be equally enlightening.

The pictured memorials are located in a setting filled with majestic trees that include special "Seed Trees" from which seeds and grafts are used to propagate future trees. I couldn't help but reflect how those who have gone before us - as memorialized by those entombed under the shadows of the trees - have analogously provided the seeds and grafts upon which civilization continues.

The location was Wakayama Japan's Okuna-in with its approach to The Founding Monk Kobodaishi's mausoleum.

Below pictured are massive Japanese Cedar Trees that stand as high as 165 feet and are up to 600 years old. Among those trees is located the mausoleum of the second son of Tokugawa Ieyasu, who was born as Tokugawa Ogimaru in 1574 and died in 1607. Tokugawa Ieyasu unified Japan and his descendants ruled Japan until the Meiji Restoration of 1868. The son entombed here would have been Ieyasu's successor but for having been adopted out in a political arrangement, as the first son had been ordered to commit seppuku for political reasons. The third son actually became the succesor.
Other pictured memorials of unique interest include one with a rocket honoring those who built armaments and one dedicated to Japanese photographers.

As to the monk Kobodaishi who founded the surrounding temple complex, photographs of his mausoleum are restricted as it is believed that he continues to live and meals are set our for him each day.

IMG_7824.jpg

IMG_7835_w3AZAkgC1WsPwrarAMbuSx.jpg

IMG_7848.jpg

IMG_7844.jpg

IMG_7846_q6xjND9rXKvpphmTXBAKGT.jpg

IMG_7845.jpg

DSC_8103_(1).jpg

IMG_7828.jpg

IMG_7833_h7rrgnWempsNjyBmjQKUbt.jpg

IMG_7832_nfzyAD3TwtoEjD978Nxz5Z.jpg

IMG_7830.jpg

IMG_7831_p4fx8Ds1SHWD7A8kAjm6NC.jpg

DSC_8138_(1).jpg

DSC_8114_(1).jpg

DSC_8115.jpg

Returning to the Japan travels one of our excursions took us to Obi Castle in Miyazaki.. In exploring the Lord's quarters from the pre-Edo period (Edo Period was during the 17th-century) we came across a unique bathing area. Instead of a bath or shower, cleansing was accomplished with steam using a sauna-like structure. (This was somewhat rare and the only other castle I have been able to confirm also had such a "sauna" was the Honmaru Palace of Nagoya Castle.). Pictured below is its recreation.

While the Finns were the first to invent the sauna as long ago as the 1100s, something similar has been discovered to have been included in the living quarters attached to some castles dating as far back as to the pre-Edo period.

In "modern times" the first sauna to be incorporated in a public bath house in Japan was at Tokyo Onsen located in the Ginza district in 1956. When Finnish athletes brought sauna equipment with them for the 1964 Olympics in Japan the popularity of saunas increased and today most Japanese Onsen (hot springs) locations also include the added attraction of a sauna.

Obi Castle as it once stood:

IMG_7607_nrfB4T3W29DommXMVHBzmF.jpg

The "Sauna:"

IMG_7612_cdZ1gNX8kvpjemojNqJ4Wu.jpg

IMG_7608.jpg

Last edited:
Adding to the above, pictured is a typical set of Samuri armor that would have been worn by members of the Itoh Clan who occupied for the longest period of time the Obi Castle despite the castle having been initially built by an opposing Samurai clan. This exhibit is located on the once castle grounds in the Obi Clan Historical Museum.

Needless to say, the Darth Vader figure from Star Wars was inspired by the Samurai regalia.

IMG_7617_5XLidhYyoJncCLiCkEk3hp.jpg

And these interior views are from within the Matsuo no Maru nobleman's residence that has also been reconstructed on the Obi Castle grounds.(The posing couple from Tokyo were there on their honeymoon. Interestingly her day job is operating a subway train - something that just a few decades ago would have been unheard of as a job for a woman in Japan.). The doll display was on exhibit in conjunction with Japan's Girls' Day.

IMG_7594_jSj9bc1gxEHAKDiT3WnYGj.jpg

IMG_7593.jpg

Tripadvisor has listed Aoshima Island as number one out of 118 things to do/visit in Kyushu's Miyazaki region. Until 1737 mere mortals, other than Shinto priests, were not allowed on the island and in 1934 the unique rock formations surrounding it were designated as a National Natural Monument.

After then Crown Prince Akihito (who subsequently became Emperor Akihito) and Empress Akihito visited the Island it became a popular domestic tourist attraction especially for honeymooning couples who came there to seek blessings for their own marriages. Primary attractions on the small island include Aoshima Shrine at its center and nearby Moto Miya - a praying spot for seeking good fortune in marriage. One can hang plaques with written wishes along the pathway between the two or at Moto Miya toss clay discs into a roped off area while making wishes or either tie small colored paper strings to ropes dangling between two trees for good luck or toss shells at another circular roped off area on top of a large rock to accomplish same.

The small island which can be walked across in less than 20 minutes is connected to the mainland by Yayoi Bridge which extends onto a beach of crushed shells rather than sand making it ideal for walking even when raining. As one exits the bridge and approaches the pathway to the shrine there is a huge Tori Gate under which one walks. Such Tori Gates symbolize leaving the earthly realm for a sacred one. In fact, Shinto belief is that this island is a power center in the Universe and enshrined on it are ancestors of Japan's Emperors who are believed to have descended from these non mortals.

For those fortunate enough to cross Yayoi Bridge at low tide the above referenced unique rock formations that surround the island become evident. As revealed in my photos below, their straight lines make them appear to be man made. However, they have been formed by the action of the ocean waves pounding on the island's strata consisting of alternating sandstone and mudstone over a time period of 7 million years. Their appearance is of a wash board and they are so named as being the Devil's Washboard as translated from the Japanese, "Oni no Sentakuita."

The island is also known for a unique variety of subtropical palm tree and the area's flora is further celebrated by the tropical plants maintained at Miyakoh Botanical Garden located just a few minutes from the mainland side of Yayoi Bridge.

Here are photos from our travel last month to Aoshima Island and its environs:

For Friday - photos from last months travel to Miyazaki's Aoshima island separated from the mainland by "The Devil's Washboard of Aoshima" or in Japanese, "Oni no Sentakuita."
First, a meal and pastries at the nearby shopping plaza on the mainland. The shu-cream, or in English, Cream Puff, was the best I've ever had in Japan.
cMPYwkzgavg-w1-jPxMIffq1GS3gk0MgwBM-eKr3pOnzgLTJnS8_zRIuTYBrmcsPAl_no0dxC1hjBcFLcJBSlJXP4EPB25xn_hfCmMrST9eU6vYs3MOzUhcF8mtqb6P-LeAgi7xJEwz5QQ=s0-d-e1-ft

Kv1NK6fN7yBZ7r_voPQk9SWTjrikTxUfCfrv7ZTDmsl4cSe1bbLc9dvu-gC0y1L3OdXD8l4GbHAJaZxvey8m8l2jrPfcajHgH2GJPwdw-8zLv46tTtpjk_U_GGrUe5bY-Vd74B7fABE4mQ=s0-d-e1-ft
w
FVBb_G8O_3r5DcySudHcU2oz1UCS-Pkan0PyHv0p6SWVcvU3_HV5yIHaiMGk2xQKpA6v3qrk_TS38L3zvo82cO8oV6uiCVLH4C-QzLvV5dLc2nQ=s0-d-e1-ft

wWFBIogTuZilm9Ch9nHYnZ5GWhZs1C1_2Slz4mYXr4bK-8RSDUqLwGxVYDEXIW1gsLWUE9cF5Lbpo0Ef88S0L38_IMV57gJ92GkiP2sjHbOIClpyGhIxg-ZqVzoeg2dvj42ojgLzT5vpUA=s0-d-e1-ft

Images from the island itself which was the Mecca for honeymooners in Japan in past decades when travel abroad was prohibitive. In the 60s and 70s busloads of newly marrieds would come from all over Japan to Aoshima Island and its shrine. Note the tied colored paper strings on the hanging roped which couples would affix to guarantee their happy future. The walkway to the island's shrine is made of crushed shells which are natural to the area and tossed clay plates and tossed shells also bring good luck as seen in photos below.
xNBf4Atu1YxKxkw_nGymh8JahKuSlxWI9hmmRu4tturxKe33CTvVF7DJNlKGtGp5CASn1NQhul02-c-q3oHz0v7glt8MihM65dVM2VUM1eWg68I=s0-d-e1-ft

KfEa5FwPJ8MF4y5FT6NpWyzmKBooupIJUDT_nq2D-Ri8cvWkmxrwHbgrG53-HNf3Dcq26GmydNJhvJay8FPjt2bCg-et4tEBRKmuB5EvG0ISVTE=s0-d-e1-ft

fFUfy7Ixq_Ee8JV0VGJEaY6fFBL7WcQBS2wXL5avNw0cZNPd_vK_Hr28mWrLYnnjgymc_p_Vmb69I1oTk4LUFedWd7u9p0ez4zyYoCwMN7im4Xw=s0-d-e1-ft

The below pictured "washboard" formation as seen from the land bridge is naturally created and not man made.
s8uIcRJKGama703e4RRdDl8FmPb5u4Qd5-J6GUVlHsElqF0Dcu20mbiJabLKkmW0WJ8KPz_RzCS34gVp8toaWVjkuGG8LB0c5bXtsBebNcd1NxtjTFFrlO7397e3bRxJIJgZeWaOiLH1Gw=s0-d-e1-ft

pItO4jVIaL2B2mxoZ5pourVbFTsz5FCFguOsBNbz6-oU0qFzLbDHfHcbUL_vFFYNbtc9ZY8nBuX4QhSn9dN2Hh3vfgmzbs1yJw1KcmW22vwtjH2CNz0Wi-sR1Ttpv0NDJFKQn-ar19_3nA=s0-d-e1-ft

FWIW, pictured below is my photo of the above referenced Crown Prince (and later Emperor) Akihito as he waved to those of us gathered in Kanazawa Japan's Kenrokuen Park in 1968.
1XPqv19m3cOIm0_ykjFHOBJqYX_aSEmlQoI_SqIGkG6Hzv9BlXMVyl_nH59WDQEOlCe2RCDqmvSv2AHPzgHqkpSgZkH-WAEXgrBcVlwtQFHqT0wYNB_xHDr1GDBmmKsR1T5zTJ2OkjLztaZHoz55zjIWr6cfSVbEs8i013M=s0-d-e1-ft

Cruise ships terrify me.

The available entertainment does help to compensate.

Here is a selection from the first night's offered entertainment with Elvis tribute artist Dan Middleditch performing as Elvis, "Don't be Cruel."

This is my accompanying description to the above video that I previously filmed and then posted on YouTube today after getting permission from the artist:

"Elvis Tribute Artist Dan Middleditch performs as Elvis Presley singing "Don't Be Cruel" aboard the inaugural returned to Japan Diamond Princess Cruise Ship cruise.

"Since its infamous mooring in Yokohama's Tokyo Harbor at the beginning of COVID in February of 2020, the Diamond Princess finally returned again to cruise Japan in March of 2023 and Dan's Elvis tribute performance was the first entertainment offered on the first night of that historical return with public passengers aboard.

"For 24 year-old Dan Middleditch this was his first cruise contract and after hearing his performance you will agree it certainly won't be his last and that he has a bright future ahead. You heard him first here!

"Here is a review from Tammy: "Haha! He got right up to your camera. He really sings like Elvis!" Avid Elvis fan Diane agreed, "He is just like Elvis!"

Last edited:
Not sure if any of these photos will post, but here is a footnote to the above "Hey Alaska" travelogue response:

The Cave Shrine (known in Japan as Udo Gingu or Udo-jingu) is located on the southern coast of Japan a short distance from Miyazaki City. Photos are from last month's travels:
IMG_7469_s813hsWpjzfTCQesd3evF6.jpg

As implied by the abundance of rabbit figures, the shrine is associated with fostering fertility.
IMG_7456_wwxsMgMb2r3Wzq8g2ipnnf.jpg

Rub the stone rabbit (in Japanese, Nade-Usagi) and the anatomatical part of the rabbit you touch will bring rejuvenation and health to that place on your body. Here health to the knee is sought after climbing the 400 plus steps to reach the Cave Shrine.
IMG_7460_49fHnTVE9QHxtENjHJMFQF.jpg

If you can toss the clay disk (in Japanese, undama) into the roped off circle (and more particularly into the pool of water within the circle) good luck and fortune follows. Men must use their left hand, and women their right hand in tossing the disks to guarantee good luck.
IMG_7470.jpg

IMG_7473.jpg

Here is some added Japanese mythology relevant to this unique shrine. The shrine itself is dedicated to Yam Sachihiko, the father of Emperor Jimmu who was the mythological first Emperor of Japan from which all subsequent Emperors are descended.
Udo Jingu Shrine is a sacred place of importance in the mythology of Japan. A child who was born to Toyotama-
Hime became the father of Emperor Jinmu, the first Emperor of Japan and, as above noted, the current royal family is believed to be descendants of his family.
The story as it was related to us is that Toyotam-Hime was herself the daughter of the god of the sea and she told her mortal husband not to look when their child was born but he did anyway. By doing so he saw her as a dragon in her non-human form. Because of this she had to return to the sea but she left her breasts (in Japanese, ochichi-iwa) attached to the wall of the cave to nourish the child. Today the water that drips from those stone breasts is gathered and made into a candy that will bring help to nursing mothers.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT