ADVERTISEMENT

Holiday Bowl 2016

docrugby1

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2010
Bleacher Report (BR) has NU playing UCLA in the Holiday Bowl in San Diego

I booked my airline tickets and will have a couple of tee times at Aviara and Torrey Pines if anyone is interested

I booked my airline tickets and will have a couple of tee times at Aviara and Torrey Pines if anyone is interested
I think we'll be a lil North of there

Reactions: rmndcat

The Lodge at Torrey Pines is a very nice place to stay- right on the Torrey Pines golf course and driving range. Both the grill and restaurant offer great dining there and patio that overlooks the golf course. Another hotel nearby I recommend is the Estancia Hotel & Spa which is a favorite for friends and relatives to visit. It is on university property that the hotel leases so staff get a nice discount there. For obvious reasons I would also like to see the Wildcats play in the Holiday Bowl- it sure would make my travel plans easy!

Reactions: rmndcat
The Lodge at Torrey Pines is a very nice place to stay- right on the Torrey Pines golf course and driving range. Both the grill and restaurant offer great dining there and patio that overlooks the golf course. Another hotel nearby I recommend is the Estancia Hotel & Spa which is a favorite for friends and relatives to visit. It is on university property that the hotel leases so staff get a nice discount there. For obvious reasons I would also like to see the Wildcats play in the Holiday Bowl- it sure would make my travel plans easy!

I usually stay at Aviara, play there and nearby Crossings at Carlsbad, Maderas and finish up with Torrey. I take the"Coaster" to San Diego for the Padres and Gaslamp-a great week usually. I'll trade the Padres for NU in The Holiday Bowl however

Another thing about the Holiday Bowl. Currently they play this bowl game at Qualcomm in Mission Valley whose future is in doubt. The Chargers have proposed a new "convadium" (combination convention center annex and football stadium") for downtown near Petco Park. If this facility is built then the venue for the Holiday Bowl would be a major upgrade from its current site. But this plan for a new stadium hinges on a lot of factors and potential legal challenges plus a 2/3 public vote so it will be a rocky road to get it built.

Of course being in San Diego they could just have an aircraft carrier moor at the Naval Shipyard there and the bowl could be played on deck.

Of course being in San Diego they could just have an aircraft carrier moor at the Naval Shipyard there and the bowl could be played on deck.
Alaska- San Diego State had a men's basketball game on an aircraft carrier a few years ago and it was a fiasco because of the outdoor conditions and the wind blowing the ball around. Not learning their lesson from this disaster, the Aztecs held another outdoor game with USD at Petco Park this past season with similar results. There have been crazy proposals in the past for a floating "float port" airport in the past here, why not a floating stadium? Hey, maybe that would work for NU to have a football stadium floating out on Lake Michigan. ;)

Reactions: Alaskawildkat

Too funny. But, if it all goes down like that and I make the trip, I'd be interested. The only time I played Torrey Pines it was so fogged in that you couldn't see the ocean.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT