ADVERTISEMENT

Holiday Bowl First-Half Thread

D has come up big here. I've never felt so good after giving up a FG, given that the D had to stop the TD 6 consecutive plays.

Reactions: drewjin
Utah is just laughing at us. This is embarrassing.

Some of the supposed NU fans on this board are embarrassing. A bunch of whiny quitters who couldn’t make their 5th grade flag football rec league team.

[QUOTE="loyolacat, post: 591361, member: 652]
Guess the McGee at linebacker experiment is over or did he get hurt[/QUOTE]

Not sure, but Bergin seems to be playing well.

The D has done it's job for the most part... but I'm not seeing any indicators the offense is up to snuff and can make some big plays down the stretch. Still a half to go though.

McCall's play-calling is totally predictable, and is the kind of thing that got McCoy (again) and DeFilippo fired.
^^this^^
For those that think coaching has nothing to do with how an offense performance, just look at the case study of the 2018 Chicago Bears. Nagy schemes guys open. NU is so vanilla compared to Nagy's modern system. Would be nice to get someone in the program like Kafka who has been exposed to modern offensive thinking. McCall has no answer to simple overload blitz schemes by Utah. They've run it again and again, and Thorson has to just keep eating it. Go back and look at how OSU defeated this against Michigan this year.

My opinion, and obviously not shared by Corbi, but is not meant in any disrespect, is we are being massively outcoached in this game. Utah has perfectly designed plays to attack zones they know we are going to be in. Early in the game, they had like 2 guys in routes, we have 8 guys back in a zone, and yet they are still wide open. We are an open book on both sides of the ball.

My opinion, this one is not on the kids, but the adults.

You know they ran that several times this year successfully.....Iowa, Minny and Illinois come to mind.
Guess the McGee at linebacker experiment is over or did he get hurt

I think McGee was situational at best.... At this point - we need offense

^^this^^
For those that think coaching has nothing to do with how an offense performance, just look at the case study of the 2018 Chicago Bears. Nagy schemes guys open. NU is so vanilla compared to Nagy's modern system. Would be nice to get someone in the program like Kafka who has been exposed to modern offensive thinking. McCall has no answer to simple overload blitz schemes by Utah. They've run it again and again, and Thorson has to just keep eating it. Go back and look at how OSU defeated this against Michigan this year.

My opinion, and obviously not shared by Corbi, but is not meant in any disrespect, is we are being massively outcoached in this game. Utah has perfectly designed plays to attack zones they know we are going to be in. Early in the game, they had like 2 guys in routes, we have 8 guys back in a zone, and yet they are still wide open. We are an open book on both sides of the ball.

WE will see if they attempt to make changes. Michigan refused to make changes and paid heavy price... Hopefully we don't give up 60 points tonight... But it is looking that way...

^^this^^

Wrong. Their kids are manhandling our kids on the line of scrimmage. Even when we get penetration, their QB’s superior mobility is allowing them to make plays that we can’t. It’s mostly about the line of scrimmage right now. No amount of game planning can change that.

Wrong. Their kids are manhandling our kids on the line of scrimmage. Even when we get penetration, their QB’s superior mobility is allowing them to make plays that we can’t. It’s mostly about the line of scrimmage right now. No amount of game planning can change that.
Thanks for your opinion. But as far as I'm concerned, you are the one who is wrong, sir. And with your black and white view of things, it is not surprising to me that you struggle to see the forest from the trees.

Some of the supposed NU fans on this board are embarrassing. A bunch of whiny quitters who couldn’t make their 5th grade flag football rec league team.
Bah.... we have coaches on our team making more money in a year than I'll make in a good chunk of my adult life working in medical research. I don't have a problem with me or any other fans bitching about the crappy job they've done tonight on some low volume message board. They don't get that much money because what they do is so important. They get it because people like us watch and cheer when they do well and complain when they don't. So deal with it. We suck tonight.

Thanks for your opinion. But as far as I'm concerned, you are the one who is wrong, sir. And with your black and white view of things, it is not surprising to me that you struggle to see the forest from the trees.

Ok, carry on.

Utah’s QB is a reminder of how important it is to have a true dual threat QB in the modern spread offenses. here’s hoping that Hunter brings that element back to our offense. We haven’t had it since the days of Colter.

Again, Colter was NOT a true DT QB as he wasn't a threat in the passing game, much less a threat in the using the legs to set up the pass (heck, Siemian did a better job of that - such as in the 4th Q of the M00N game, altho he was no Persa).

Since his frosh season, had hoped Thorson would develop some in that area, but really haven't seen much improvement (some of it is Thorson's innate robotic style of play and some of it is the lack of development by the coaching staff).

Haskins is not a DT QB, but he has mobility to scramble (often using his legs to set up the pass).

Unlike the bevy of other (more athletic) starting QBs that played before him at the Horseshoe, Haskins has the best chance of succeeding in the NFL (the others really didn't get a sniff in the NFL as a QB since they weren't good enough passers).

Reactions: drewjin
FWIW, I am with Corbi on this. Their D is just overwhelming our OL. The D has stiffened up a little but also was struggling early. Utah has good athletes.

Bah.... we have coaches on our team making more money in a year than I'll make in a good chunk of my adult life working in medical research. I don't have a problem with me or any other fans bitching about the crappy job they've done tonight on some low volume message board. They don't get that much money because what they do is so important. They get it because people like us watch and cheer when they do well and complain when they don't. So deal with it. We suck tonight.

LOL. Imagine if your mailman and garbage man sat around every day watching your work and criticized it but had no clue what they are talking about. You could be on the verge of finding a cure for cancer but they had no clue and their comments reflected that. That’s what’s going on in this thread.

And yet we are supposed to remain optimistic? Explain to me how that works genius. Either they are better athletes and we can’t beat them or coaching a different scheme/plays can help us beat them. Or maybe we become better athletes in the locker room. You have taken two wildly opposing stances. You have no credibility.

FWIW, I am with Corbi on this. Their D is just overwhelming our OL. The D has stiffened up a little but also was struggling early. Utah has good athletes.
If they were wearing USC jerseys, people wouldn't be surprised. Because it's Utah...

Reactions: HawkCat
And yet we are supposed to remain optimistic? Explain to me how that works genius. Either they are better athletes and we can’t beat them or coaching a different scheme/plays can help us beat them. Or maybe we become better athletes in the locker room. You have taken two wildly opposing stances. You have no credibility.

Dude, is this your first NU football game?

Again, Colter was NOT a true DT QB as he wasn't a threat in the passing game, much less a threat in the using the legs to set up the pass (heck, Siemian did a better job of that - such as in the 4th Q of the M00N game, altho he was no Persa).

Since his frosh season, had hoped Thorson would develop some in that area, but really haven't seen much improvement (some of it is Thorson's innate robotic style of play and some of it is the lack of development by the coaching staff).

Please , you have no clue what you are talking about. Every throw Shelly has made today are throws Colter made in his career. The QB that is carving us up tonight is no Dan Marino.

Reactions: HawkCat
I would say that they found a weakness in our offense and schemed to exploit it well. They don't fear losing 1on1 battles to our WRs and are therefore overload blitzing and playing press man to man. It is not rocket science. McCall has to counter this. If they are going to sell out on the LoS battle, then we have to beat them where they aren't. Scheme. Thorson is not getting crushed by a 4 man rush like we did against Michigan and OSU.

Yes it is. They are more athletic and better at just about every position. Even their kicker is an All-American for crying out loud. This is a good Utah team playing without three of their best players. Now, we are totally depleted, so that doesn't help matters. But they are better than us. We need to recruit more athletes and less student body presidents if we want to play top 20 style football.
Less student body presidents? Why do you post such stupid things in the heat of battle? Really stupid.

Please , you have no clue what you are talking about. Every throw Shelly has made today are throws Colter made in his career. The QB that is carving us up tonight is no Dan Marino.

Isn’t it that that their QB is no Dan Marino yet is still carving us up like he is the broader point here???

LOL. Imagine if your mailman and garbage man sat around every day watching your work and criticized it but had no clue what they are talking about. You could be on the verge of finding a cure for cancer but they had no clue and their comments reflected that. That’s what’s going on in this thread.

Now I am LOL, the entire point of this game is for fans to watch AND sit around and talk about it. There are people actually making money talking about it as I speak. My job is not meant to be viewed you total freaking moron, football is. And oh yeah, if the customer of my job doesn’t like what I am doing, guess what they complain. We ARE the customer of this game, we have the right to complain. Your analogy is just plain wrong. And the fact that we “have no clue” is you opinion. Apparently you know it all and no one else knows anything. Get a clue please.

Reactions: Fitz51

They are winning the line of scrimmage with better technique and execution. We have missed multiple blocking assignments on the OL. I don’t see a significant disparity in athelticism other than at the QB position.

Now I am LOL, the entire point of this game is for fans to watch AND sit around and talk about it. There are people actually making money talking about it as I speak. My job is not meant to be viewed you total freaking moron, football is. And oh yeah, if the customer of my job doesn’t like what I am doing, guess what they complain. We ARE the customer of this game, we have the right to complain. Your analogy is just plain wrong. And the fact that we “have no clue” is you opinion. Apparently you know it all and no one else knows anything. Get a clue please.

The entire point of this game is for fans to sit around and cheer/support. Fans that bitch and complain aren’t fans, they are whiny meatheads.

They are winning the line of scrimmage with better technique and execution. We have missed multiple blocking assignments on the OL. I don’t see a significant disparity in athelticism other than at the QB position.

I’d they have better technique that is a coaching issue that should be addressed

Speak for yourself.

If Colter was able to do what Shelly has been doing this game, there would have been no need for dual-QB scheme (b/c he would have been like Persa) and esp. no need for putting in Trevor (in high pressure situations) when the O needed a score quickly.

And Colter wouldn't have had a significantly higher sack rate than Siemian; which came about when Colter looked to pass the ball, but then held on to it too long before tucking it to run.

Dude, is this your first NU football game?

Yeah, not quite. His stance is nothing our coaches can do will help because we are simply being beat but remain oppimistic because it might get better. How is this consistent? It’s not. I remain slightly optimistic because I think the coaches can do something to change the scheme and plays and make things better.

Isn’t it that that their QB is no Dan Marino yet is still carving us up like he is the broader point here???

his mobility is giving him 4+ seconds to throw the ball. It’s hard for any DB to cover for that long. Our QB does not have that luxury.

The entire point of this game is for fans to sit around and cheer/support. Fans that bitch and complain aren’t fans, they are whiny meatheads.
Your arguments have been mostly laudable, but come on.... you don't really believe this, do you? Fans can do whatever the hell they want to do. And million dollar coaches are probably ok with that.

Reactions: Fitz51
You are both right we are losing the line of scrimmage, they're more athletic and we're being outcoached. Unfortunately in addition their quarterback has had more touch and more accuracy than ours as well. Doesn't mean things can't change it doesn't mean we can't win the game in the second half we have done it before

Really?

Then the coaching staff was simply clueless to resort to a dual-QB system, much less move more towards Trevor as time went on - if Colter was able to do that.

Don't recall Colter even doing what Siemian did in the 4th Q of the M00N game, much less what Persa had been able to do.

Care to inform the rest of us what game(s) Colter displayed such prowess?

Your arguments have been mostly laudable, but come on.... you don't really believe this, do you? Fans can do whatever the hell they want to do. And million dollar coaches are probably ok with that.

Yes I do. You guys sound like the loud mouth nerd at the bar who always has something to say but has no idea what he is talking about.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT