ADVERTISEMENT

How Many Texans on the team?

Deeringfish

Gold Member
Jun 23, 2008
Looks like this next class will have at least 5 guys from Texas on it. Texas football is second to none so Generally speaking this is a great trend.

Texans are used to long drives, it's a big state but Dallas to Evanston is about 15 hours with minimal stops. Any body know what it would cost for the families to charter a bus to come up for the games if they pooled their money? There must be 10 families so if they could come up with 2 people per family...

Looks like this next class will have at least 5 guys from Texas on it. Texas football is second to none so Generally speaking this is a great trend.

Texans are used to long drives, it's a big state but Dallas to Evanston is about 15 hours with minimal stops. Any body know what it would cost for the families to charter a bus to come up for the games if they pooled their money? There must be 10 families so if they could come up with 2 people per family...
Actually Texas would be third in producing NFL players. Florida would be first, then California, then Texas. And Northwestern has more Ohio kids than Texas kids in this recruiting class.

Actually Texas would be third in producing NFL players. Florida would be first, then California, then Texas. And Northwestern has more Ohio kids than Texas kids in this recruiting class.
I think the OP was referring to the '17 class, which currently has five (out of nine) kids from Texas.

Not sure if he was serious about the bus idea, but keep in mind that two of the players are from Houston, two from north of Dallas, and one from Austin. Not exactly close to each other, so sharing rides to Evanston isn't going to happen. However, there are plenty of cheap, nonstop flights between those cities and both of Chicago's airports, so getting up to see the games isn't that hard.

I think the OP was referring to the '17 class, which currently has five (out of nine) kids from Texas.

Not sure if he was serious about the bus idea, but keep in mind that two of the players are from Houston, two from north of Dallas, and one from Austin. Not exactly close to each other, so sharing rides to Evanston isn't going to happen. However, there are plenty of cheap, nonstop flights between those cities and both of Chicago's airports, so getting up to see the games isn't that hard.

I was somewhat serious. Most kids want their family and friends to be able to see them play. I guess I'm trying to think of a way or ways for this to become economical for those whose resources are limited. Cheap flights and hotels are not cheap for a lot of people. If it cost $500 to get to a game, I would have been able to get to one game a year when my son was in college. We drove the 10 hours for parents weekend and had a friend we could stay with in exchange for a fun dinner out. We did it once a year. That was nice. He wasn't playing or anything, that would have made it more compelling IMO.
If we have a way to help people carpool to games, it could be tipping point for some recruits.

I was somewhat serious. Most kids want their family and friends to be able to see them play. I guess I'm trying to think of a way or ways for this to become economical for those whose resources are limited. Cheap flights and hotels are not cheap for a lot of people. If it cost $500 to get to a game, I would have been able to get to one game a year when my son was in college. We drove the 10 hours for parents weekend and had a friend we could stay with in exchange for a fun dinner out. We did it once a year. That was nice. He wasn't playing or anything, that would have made it more compelling IMO.
If we have a way to help people carpool to games, it could be tipping point for some recruits.
Let's also not forget these parents kids are getting a $68,000 annual scholarship guaranteed for four years. They might have some extra money laying around to be able to travel and see their kids. I'm not saying they all do, but I sure hope I would have quite a bit of excess cash if my kids get a scholarship.

I don't mean to discount your concerns, but all the players from the '17 class who have committed so far have already visited NU on their own dime, some multiple times. These are unofficial visits, which the school can't pay for, and I think it indicates some amount of disposable income on the part of their parents.

Now you could of course argue that this isn't fair - that less privileged kids who can't afford to travel to Evanston on their own dime won't get the same exposure and thus may be overlooked in terms of receiving offers - but specifically in reference to those who have already visited, been offered, and committed, they probably come from families who can afford to fly to Chicago 6-7 times each fall.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT