ADVERTISEMENT

How many top chicago kids are academically eligible?

charcat

Apr 11, 2006
We hear talk of Collins getting in early on lots of the top area talent, but what percentage of the top kids qualify academically, and when does NU figure that out? You don't have test scores until Junior year. Anyone have an idea of how this process works at NU?

We hear talk of Collins getting in early on lots of the top area talent, but what percentage of the top kids qualify academically, and when does NU figure that out? You don't have test scores until Junior year. Anyone have an idea of how this process works at NU?

My friend's son is being looked at by Fitz. He did an unofficial visit for the Bowling Green game. He has also visited Minnesota and Illinois and has been asked to visit Duke. NU is the only school that asked to see his grades before he stepped on campus. So they are screening kids academically before they decide if they will recruit them.

Reactions: FightNorthwestern
My friend's son is being looked at by Fitz. He did an unofficial visit for the Bowling Green game. He has also visited Minnesota and Illinois and has been asked to visit Duke. NU is the only school that asked to see his grades before he stepped on campus. So they are screening kids academically before they decide if they will recruit them.

Glad to hear that his grades are solid enough to be recruited by NU. Smart kid, prolly the result of great parenting!

Is that for an official? I know they rend to do that before they spend the money

My cousin, who is an outstanding senior quarterback in Iowa, was at the recruit night last month. He was told in advance to send a prescribed package of items, tape, grade report, classroom test scores, before he was issued the invitation. (He's hugely talented, has the academic drive to succeed, and the game results/statistics for NU, but 6-1 height is a problem. His granddad was 6-5 so it maybe a late growth spurt will propel him. He's got the arm.)

i can say with certainty that CCC and staff do their due diligence before recruiting gets very involved with a kid (not initial contacts and recruiting). there have been several athletes that have been asked to do certain tasks to be considered a recruit, and they didn't do those tasks (including a certain local athlete from past few seasons).there have been recruits like that and also recruits that NU has stopped recruiting for academic reasons.

from what i have heard though is that many CAN get into NU, but they usually get certain things they need to finish or accomplish (such as a test retake or a summer class) before being considered a recruit. some do what needs to be done and some don't. but all recruits are vetted well in advance.

i can say with certainty that CCC and staff do their due diligence before recruiting gets very involved with a kid (not initial contacts and recruiting). there have been several athletes that have been asked to do certain tasks to be considered a recruit, and they didn't do those tasks (including a certain local athlete from past few seasons).there have been recruits like that and also recruits that NU has stopped recruiting for academic reasons.

from what i have heard though is that many CAN get into NU, but they usually get certain things they need to finish or accomplish (such as a test retake or a summer class) before being considered a recruit. some do what needs to be done and some don't. but all recruits are vetted well in advance.

THaT’s some very interesting info. Makes a lot of sense. Thanks for sharing.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT