ADVERTISEMENT

How will B1G teams do in the tournament?

GatoLouco

Nov 14, 2019
Indianapolis
Last year, per Torvik, the top 5 conferences were:

CONFERENCEBARTHAGTOURNAMENT TEAMS
B1G0.87979
B120.83217
P120.82115
SEC0.79286
BE0.75624

The B1G was the undisputed best conference in the country. Got an incredible 9 bids and bombed spectacularly. The P12, well the Torvik model was telling us something.

This year, per Torvik:

B120.88336
B1G0.83219
SEC0.82116
BE0.79286
P120.75623

I am still a bit baffled by the numbers of bids the B1G got. I guess the fact that no team is ranked higher than #3 should tell us something though.

My instinct is that Purdue and IL will make it to the second week. Others will flame out.

Reactions: Purple Pile Driver
It is pretty easy to see that Indiana and Michigan don't belong in the field.
Using Jeff Sagarins, ratings, which are very straightforward, Indiana won 5 and lost 9 against the top 50 teams.
Michigan won 6 and lost 11.

Thats not good enough. Maybe you can make the case that one of the two deserved to make it, but teams like Dayton and SMU have to be shaking their heads.

The other 7 Big Ten teams in the NCAA field were at least .500 against the Top 50.

It always depends on whether or not the players actually show up on the big stage, but given past performance I expect Purdue will flame out way early. I'd think Iowa has a chance to do very well, but they'll have had a week to let everything sink in and I suspect the team that hits the NCAAs will not be in the same mental place they were over the weekend.

I suspect the B1G will be mostly gone before the 16. I can see WI and Purdue making the 16.

B1G0.87979
B120.83217
P120.82115
SEC0.79286
BE0.75624

The B1G was the undisputed best conference in the country. Got an incredible 9 bids and bombed spectacularly. The P12, well the Torvik model was telling us something.

This year, per Torvik:

B120.88336
B1G0.83219
SEC0.82116
BE0.79286
P120.75623

I am still a bit baffled by the numbers of bids the B1G got. I guess the fact that no team is ranked higher than #3 should tell us something though.

My instinct is that Purdue and IL will make it to the second week. Others will flame out.
Wat happen to ACC?

B1G0.87979
B120.83217
P120.82115
SEC0.79286
BE0.75624

This year, per Torvik:

B120.88336
B1G0.83219
SEC0.82116
BE0.79286
P120.75623

I would guess IA as well as they are hot at the right time. Rutgers sort of got screwed in that as forth best team in conference they are in a play in game against a hot ND. WTF....Mich by contrast got a direct bid THey sere pretty borderline and should have been in a play in game and Rutgers should have been a top half seed probably 6-8.

B1G0.87979
B120.83217
P120.82115
SEC0.79286
BE0.75624

This year, per Torvik:

B120.88336
B1G0.83219
SEC0.82116
BE0.79286
P120.75623

It was because of the balance. No outstanding teams but a lot that beat up on each other every time out. Of course the conference is much more battle tested than a lot of other conferences

I don't think we'll have any team in the Elite 8 might have two in the sweet 16

Iowa looked awesome last weekend, and in February. They’re deep in my bracket.

Wikipedia says that Fran McCaffrey was nicknamed White Magic at Penn, and that Margaret McCaffrey was a standout basketball player at Notre Dame. Who knew!?!

McCaffrey he never made a deep run into the tournament — never to the Sweet 16. He did, however, qualify three straight seasons, winning one game in two of those years, with Siena.

I’m fairly certain that I haven’t won $ in a bracket since the mid-90s.

Iowa is peaking - looks like a final 4 team.
Iowa is also built for being upset:

1) They don't face opponents they know well as in the B1G
2) They play fast and furious, and on some days, when they are not on fire, that just does not translate to 80 points like they had against a very tough IN defense
3) They usually don't have the ability to be tough to score on. Add that to not always being on fire and you got a mix to be prone to being upset

Their season ended, in 2021, scoring 80, but allowing 95 from Oregon. In the same similar style they have, with Garza and Wieskamp.

Having said all this, they managed to beat Purdue, not by scoring like crazy, but by keeping Purdue in the 60's.

It always depends on whether or not the players actually show up on the big stage, but given past performance I expect Purdue will flame out way early. I'd think Iowa has a chance to do very well, but they'll have had a week to let everything sink in and I suspect the team that hits the NCAAs will not be in the same mental place they were over the weekend.

I suspect the B1G will be mostly gone before the 16. I can see WI and Purdue making the 16.
Well getting to 16 is eliminating 3/4s or more of all teams in tourney

Well getting to 16 is eliminating 3/4s or more of all teams in tourney
Sure, I wasn't trying to be controversial. The B1G has three teams ranked in the top 16. I expect we'll get two of them to that level.

Really, I haven't had the free time to watch basketball as much as I used to, so I'm woefully uninformed about the rest of the field and I'm not too well informed about the B1G for that matter. So if I'm completely wrong, I won't be surprised.

Sure, I wasn't trying to be controversial. The B1G has three teams ranked in the top 16. I expect we'll get two of them to that level.

Really, I haven't had the free time to watch basketball as much as I used to, so I'm woefully uninformed about the rest of the field and I'm not too well informed about the B1G for that matter. So if I'm completely wrong, I won't be surprised.
Like I sai, only three would be favored to get into the Sweet 16 and really the seeding indicates that that is tenuous. It is not like we have any one or two seeds that would be big upsets if they got knocked out before Sweet 16

Well. we already know this much. The Mountain West was severely overrated, especially by a couple of people on this board. Wyoming falls with a lackluster performance against Indiana. Michigan rallies from a big first half hole to pound Colorado State (and their miracle worker coach LOL) and Boise State is getting hammered by Memphis. Utah State even lost at home in the NIT by double digits to Oregon. Face it, the Big Ten is always a going to be a tough nut to crack whoever is the coach.

Well. we already know this much. The Mountain West was severely overrated, especially by a couple of people on this board. Wyoming falls with a lackluster performance against Indiana. Michigan rallies from a big first half hole to pound Colorado State (and their miracle worker coach LOL) and Boise State is getting hammered by Memphis. Utah State even lost at home in the NIT by double digits to Oregon. Face it, the Big Ten is always a going to be a tough nut to crack whoever is the coach.

Shocking, to me, was Wyoming deciding to play TJD one on one, even when he started dribbling. My head exploded.

Rough half for Iowa. They are only down 1, but they looked terrible. They didn't shoot well and their offense just looked confused. The way they sliced through the BIG tournament, I figured they were a hot team.

Murray doesn't look good at all. Hard to believe this team scored 120 plus against us.

So much for that.... they are losing again.
Not only are they losing, but they look awfully flustered. Getting chippy with the Richmond players. Clearly Richmond is in their heads and they didn't fix it at half-time. Looking like a classic 12-5 upset brewing.

KenPom is gonna be *pissed*. (Iowa’s his pick, and mine.)

Iowa looks horrible. Murray has done nothing. Hard to believe this team beat us by 50 + points.

Iowa looks horrible. Murray has done nothing. Hard to believe this team beat us by 50 + points.
They are just sleepwalking through this game. No intensity at all. This is how upsets happen in the tournament. Everyone is good in the tournament - even the mid-majors. You can't coast through these games. They aren't out of it yet, but they better turn it on immediately.

Iowa losses. Barely scores 60 points. Murray does nothing. Maybe Big Ten not that good of a conference.

Iowa shot their wad in their run leading up to and through the B1G tourney. Now they can retire Bohanon's number and give him a rocking chair.

And the Michiganz screwed up my bracket by knocking off my cinderellla team, CSU.

Thankfully I switched my pick to Notre Dame yesterday, though RU should have had them. But ND showed me how a team that can shoot outside can ruin a very good B1G defense. That was pretty eye-opening.

A10 champ beats the Big10 champ. Not a good look.

Iowa has a chance to do very well, but they'll have had a week to let everything sink in and I suspect the team that hits the NCAAs will not be in the same mental place they were over the weekend.
bummer

I thought Iowa would go deep. Oh well. I placed a few friendly wagers on this tournament, so even if my bracket’s busted I have that going for me.

Erin Go Bragh!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT