ADVERTISEMENT

How will B1G teams do in the tournament?

That one was good, but the Murray St - San Fransisco game was better. That game was ****ing LIT. The late night game on Thursday night, I'd guess most missed it.

Yeah, another good one. I liked the Arizona-TCU game better, though they might have both been beaten by the last 10 minutes of the Baylor-UNC game. Sure, it was a blowout for the first 30 minutes, but there was so much drama in the last 10 minutes of regulation. The OT wasn't bad either.

I actually agree with this. I always cheer against Coach K (unless he's coaching the national team), but it's nothing personal, just jealousy.
I don't like Coach K either, but it isn't jealousy.
Its because he is trying to have it both ways.

Like, trying to win games? And Duke is willing to accommodate him? Such a horrible man. :cool:
Trying to act like a saint when he's about as bad as Pitino and Calipari and Bruce Pearl and Kelvin Sampson and all these other guys who put winning before everything.

Yeah, that.

For Duke to specialize in the "one-and done" approach, at the insistence of Coach K, is a black mark on a fine academic institution.

The Alabama of the ACC. Yay, Coach K.

Trying to act like a saint when he's about as bad as Pitino and Calipari and Bruce Pearl and Kelvin Sampson and all these other guys who put winning before everything.

Yeah, that.

For Duke to specialize in the "one-and done" approach, at the insistence of Coach K, is a black mark on a fine academic institution.

The Alabama of the ACC. Yay, Coach K.
Yes, guys leaving school in order to have successful careers is a black mark on academic institutions, just like Mark Zuckerberg was a black mark on Harvard!

Actually, that's a bad example for your sarcasm........Zuck is pure evil.
I'm not really a Zuckbot fan either, but it CERTAINLY hasn't hurt the academic credentials of Harvard to have some of their students leave early to go found world changing companies. It's silly to say the 1 and done basketball player does so.

I'm not really a Zuckbot fan either, but it CERTAINLY hasn't hurt the academic credentials of Harvard to have some of their students leave early to go found world changing companies. It's silly to say the 1 and done basketball player does so.
Playing basketball is on the same intellectual / academic level as running a global spy network?

These are ACADEMIC schools, not minor league basketball teams.

When you offer admission to someone who has no intention of pursing academics and is likely to leave after one year, would you guess that helps or detracts from the university's reputation academically?

Playing basketball is on the same intellectual / academic level as running a global spy network?

When you offer admission to someone who has no intention of pursing academics and is likely to leave after one year, would you guess that helps or detracts from the university's reputation academically?
I would guess it makes zero difference to the academic reputation.

Reactions: DaCat and NUCat320
I mean, we can easily test this theory, since Duke has been accepting one-and-dones for over a decade now. Surely its academic reputation has gone down significantly in that time, right?

US News national rankings:
Duke, 2010: 10
Duke, 2022: 9

Huh.

I mean, we can easily test this theory, since Duke has been accepting one-and-dones for over a decade now. Surely its academic reputation has gone down significantly in that time, right?

US News national rankings:
Duke, 2010: 10
Duke, 2022: 9

Huh.

Nothing you can come up with will be capable of refuting a fact.
But please, keep trying.

Imagine how high Duke would be ranked if they didn't accept one-and-dones! :cool:
There may be some truth to your statement, though i still think one and dones have nothing to do with it. I recall Duke used to be ranked higher, around the 5-7 range. Maybe me getting my MBA there has a much to do with tarnishing their image as the one and dones. Like, no effect.

Reactions: TheC and hoosboot
Illinois problem was Frazier was tighter than the skin on a grape in both games and did next to nothing. Carbelo was Chase on steroids. Good defender but completely wild on offense. He was so bad, Undie couldn’t play him in the second half against Houston. Have to have guard play in the tourney.

I think Illinois’ problem was that while they did have Coleman Hawkins, they didn’t have John Coltrane.

It objectively improves an academic institution's overall profile and academic capabilities. This isn't remotely up for debate, it's well established in literature and practice that athletic success is beneficial for the overall academic mission of a university. This is "settled science," as it were.

One and dones come on campus, get into no trouble, and go on to make more than a lifetime of earnings for the average graduate from their institutions before they turn 24. Get over it.

It objectively improves an academic institution's overall profile and academic capabilities. This isn't remotely up for debate, it's well established in literature and practice that athletic success is beneficial for the overall academic mission of a university. This is "settled science," as it were.

One and dones come on campus, get into no trouble, and go on to make more than a lifetime of earnings for the average graduate from their institutions before they turn 24. Get over it.

You're moving the goalposts.
Everybody knows that athletic success improves a school's image.
Thats isn't up for debate (although the way you phrased it is certainly inaccurate)

What we are talking about is a university that essentially cheats by bringing in athletes who are far less qualified than the normal student. The discrepancy for Duke basketball is extreme, compared to other programs.

It is unethical and, as such, undermines the academic reputation of the university.

Essentially you are arguing that if a bunch of accounting firms have a basketball tournament every year and one of those firms insists on hiring temporary employees who happened to play D1 basketball, then thats perfectly acceptable (do anything to win!) AND makes that firm better at accounting.

You're moving the goalposts.
Everybody knows that athletic success improves a school's image.
Thats isn't up for debate (although the way you phrased it is certainly inaccurate)

What we are talking about is a university that essentially cheats by bringing in athletes who are far less qualified than the normal student. The discrepancy for Duke basketball is extreme, compared to other programs.

It is unethical and, as such, undermines the academic reputation of the university.

Essentially you are arguing that if a bunch of accounting firms have a basketball tournament every year and one of those firms insists on hiring temporary employees who happened to play D1 basketball, then thats perfectly acceptable (do anything to win!) AND makes that firm better at accounting.
Absurd, don’t worry your daughter will have a highly respected parchment in a couple years despite the academic qualifications of our athletes.

Reactions: AdamOnFirst
You must hate Northwestern then because it also brings in athletes who are far less qualified than the normal student. Imagine how bad the basketball record would have been if the school didn't "essentially cheat" like that.

Last edited:
You must hate Northwestern then because it also brings in athletes who are far less qualified than the normal student. Imagine how bad the basketball record would have been if the school didn't "essentially cheat" like that.
I guess you misread what I wrote.

Duke and Northwestern are on equal footing academically.
Duke's admission standards are much lower than Northwestern's for basketball.

In fact, I'd go so far as to say that Duke is the biggest offender of all 350 Division 1 schools.

In fact, I'd go so far as to say that Duke is the biggest offender of all 350 Division 1 schools.
Nah...I read it fine. You don't mind that NU violates the principle. You are mad that Duke violates more. That seems like an odd and arbitrary line to draw, but okay.

Reactions: Purple Pile Driver
...it wouldn't shock you if TCU won the whole thing? It would shock me, a lot more than it would if Purdue won it.
After watching that game and at this point, nope. TCU went to the wire with Arizona and arguably should have won in regulation.

But man do I love march madness. Been having a long week - just saw that Michigan lost and am tuning in now for more roundball.

Nah...I read it fine. You don't mind that NU violates the principle. You are mad that Duke violates more. That seems like an odd and arbitrary line to draw, but okay.
The "principle" is that everybody makes concessions on academics, but it has to be reasonable.

Duke does not do that. They are the worst offenders.

Why is the BIG so bad at basketball and why are we so bad in the BIG?

They’re not very much lower

Weren't most on this board hoping that PBJ would be a 1-and-done for NU? I don't blame Coach K for the rule.

So much excitement in this tournament and you end up with this final 4.

It's like I saw written in The Athletic: a country club F4.

Replace Nova by KY and that's the only way the blood could be any more blue.

Madness was awesome so far. Now, yawn.

So much excitement in this tournament and you end up with this final 4.

It's like I saw written in The Athletic: a country club F4.

Replace Nova by KY and that's the only way the blood could be any more blue.

Madness was awesome so far. Now, yawn.
I'd argue that in the last 10 years Nova is much more Blue than UK.....

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT