ADVERTISEMENT

Hunter Johnson to transfer

Wouldn’t “normally” a high school coach act as a conduit between college program and athlete - seems like this is where it might get tricky with a transfer and parents I guess could make sense.
He is no longer in HS. And Fitz and company likely have a relationship with the parents as they had his brother at NU and recruited Hunter early. It makes sense that he would contact the parents as till it is official he cannot contact Hunter

He is no longer in HS. And Fitz and company likely have a relationship with the parents as they had his brother at NU and recruited Hunter early. It makes sense that he would contact the parents as till it is official he cannot contact Hunter

Schools cannot technically contact parents either until that release is in place, though this situation is a bit of a "gray area" due to the program's existing relationship through his brother.

Wow. Brohm is a QB whisperer though, and that allure scares me.
I don’t get this QB Whisperer claim? Who has he put in the league? I realize he was a QB himself in the league and he certainly has an offensive minded approach, but I saw a few games of PU last year, and their O was nothing special at all. In fact, seeing live the O was well below average.

He has some history of taking what is perceived as average guys and making them pretty good, but I can’t recall any real stars.

I like Brohm as a coach, but I like Fitz better and I think he can claim success at QB spot too as we had generally had a good run.

Hunter has to know Fitz will be here. Pretty much takes all the uncertainty out for him. Brohm’s success will lead to bigger offers and I’ll think he will take one. If Hunter has immediate success with Brohm he only increases the demand for Brohm at another school. A double edged sword. Does Purdue revert back to Hazell like results if he splits? What if Purdue has a great year under Sindelar this year and Broehm takes his talents to the SEC or ACC? Hunter has to sit out a year, if the reason he would go to Purdue is Brohm it’s a helleva risk in his situation. Fitz doesn’t need to tell him this or negative recruit Purdue, it is obvious this potential exists.

Hunter fits best at NU in my purple tinted world.

I am sort of used to being the bridesmaid in situations such as these, but it will be a little sad if we lose out to Purdue. Bad enough that we lack recognition, no matter how many games we win, but if we lose a top recruit to, essentially, an also-ran since Tiller left, well, that's gonna suck. Sure they have a promising coach, he'll look great on another school's sideline in about 3 years

I don’t get this QB Whisperer claim? Who has he put in the league? I realize he was a QB himself in the league and he certainly has an offensive minded approach, but I saw a few games of PU last year, and their O was nothing special at all. In fact, seeing live the O was well below average.

He has some history of taking what is perceived as average guys and making them pretty good, but I can’t recall any real stars.

I like Brohm as a coach, but I like Fitz better and I think he can claim success at QB spot too as we had generally had a good run.

Hunter has to know Fitz will be here. Pretty much takes all the uncertainty out for him. Brohm’s success will lead to bigger offers and I’ll think he will take one. If Hunter has immediate success with Brohm he only increases the demand for Brohm at another school. A double edged sword. Does Purdue revert back to Hazell like results if he splits? What if Purdue has a great year under Sindelar this year and Broehm takes his talents to the SEC or ACC? Hunter has to sit out a year, if the reason he would go to Purdue is Brohm it’s a helleva risk in his situation. Fitz doesn’t need to tell him this or negative recruit Purdue, it is obvious this potential exists.

At Louisville Dave Ragone, Stefan Lefur, his brother Brian

What are the odds that Brohm is still at Purdue in 4 years? I think 30% and that might be generous. What are the odds fitz is still at nu? 90%.

I am not sure where the qb whisperer claim comes from, but he is a hell of a good offensive mind (watch some of his WKU games), and have made some pretty mediocre qbs look like Tom Brady.

Then again, we saw what happened when he tried some of the same things in the big 10...

I am not sure where the qb whisperer claim comes from, but he is a hell of a good offensive mind (watch some of his WKU games), and have made some pretty mediocre qbs look like Tom Brady.

Then again, we saw what happened when he tried some of the same things in the big 10...
I am not sure you can consistently out scheme teams. Eventually, they catch up or you have to be constantly re-inventing yourself. I think PU scored less than 20 points in 4 B1G games last year including against NU. Good coach but IMO some guru that paved the way to NFL success for his pupils.

I am not sure you can consistently out scheme teams. Eventually, they catch up or you have to be constantly re-inventing yourself. I think PU scored less than 20 points in 4 B1G games last year including against NU. Good coach but IMO some guru that paved the way to NFL success for his pupils.

Yep - that’s what I was referring to in my second paragraph. Though let’s see how year two is - bet he is going to have some interesting wrinkles.

Separately - man I hate playing these offensive innovators game 1 (like dykes) - never know what they are going to throw at you.

He put three QBs in the league from Louisville and made collegiate superstars of Doughty and Mike White. Both were drafted out of Western Kentucky...

Because he can’t take a chance that he chooses a program where for whatever reason he doesn’t get on the field. That means that he will naturally prioritize a situation where there is no incumbent starter returning, where the depth chart does not contain highly rated/acclaimed prospects that could present a legitimate challenge to the starter role, and a situation where he has complete trust that the coach that is recruiting him will stick to the promises that are made to him and will stay in the job to honor those promises. The guy believes he has an NFL future but he can’t prove that unless he gets on the field. This time around certainty of playing time will be more important than playing at the highest profile program possible. That is why I think NU and to a lesser extent Purdue make all the sense in the world for this kid. Some higher profile programs will come after him but I doubt he takes the risk this time around.

I get what you're saying, and generally agree, but it does beg the question why Purdue make sense in this context with Sindelar still in the picture.

I get what you're saying, and generally agree, but it does beg the question why Purdue make sense in this context with Sindelar still in the picture.
I was thinking about how the supporting cast enters into the discussion. At NU there is no Sindelar to beat out but is our line as good or are the receivers as good as Purdues? He has to take a year off which gives Singular a year to get better or get injured. NU has a great Defense does he really want to face them? or have them in support?

Sindelar is a promising QB who has shown flashes. If I am Johnson, he doesn’t scare me much. The biggest advantage we have over Purdue is our head coach isn’t going anywhere. Brohm is the biggest reason for Johnson to go to Purdue but also the biggest reason why he might not go there. Johnson has to believe there is a decent risk that Brohm leaves before Johnson ever sees the field. What good will the “Quarterback Whisperer” be to Johnson if he never gets to play for him?

Sindelar is a promising QB who has shown flashes. If I am Johnson, he doesn’t scare me much. The biggest advantage we have over Purdue is our head coach isn’t going anywhere. Brohm is the biggest reason for Johnson to go to Purdue but also the biggest reason why he might not go there. Johnson has to believe there is a decent risk that Brohm leaves before Johnson ever sees the field. What good will the “Quarterback Whisperer” be to Johnson if he never gets to play for him?

Well, also, is Brohm really this QB Whisperer? Given the QBs that McCall has tutored (Omar Jacobs, Josh Harris, CJ Bacher, Mike Kafka, Dan Persa, Trevor Siemian, and Clayton Thorson) and what they accomplished, I'm not sure Brohm is really ahead.

McCall was also good enough to take a WR with zero arm talent and mold him into a QB who could play ahead of a future NFL Starter. Imagine what he could do with 5 star talent?

*ducks again*

He put three QBs in the league from Louisville and made collegiate superstars of Doughty and Mike White. Both were drafted out of Western Kentucky...

Well...Fitz is going to be on his 3rd QB in the league in a year...does that make him a QB whisperer, too? :>)

Brohm is an excellent coach. He has not spent more than 3 years at a job since leaving Louisville, and there’s exactly one too-notch coach (RIP Coach Tiller) in the last 50 years who viewed Purdue as a destination.

Among many other things, a virtual guarantee of stability is something that NU has over Purdue.

But, as Lou said, it probably won’t be just NU and Purdue in the mix, but I’d rather have NU be mentioned right away than not.

If that is your definition of a QB whisperer, okay.

Well...Fitz is going to be on his 3rd QB in the league in a year...does that make him a QB whisperer, too? :>)

And this doesn't count Dan Persa who I think was probably the best of them all, but unfortunately had an Achilles injury, and CJ Bacher who had the most impressive passing performances and still holds passing records at NU. And if you're looking at McCall - then you got Josh Harris and Omar Jacob as well.

More articles on Hunter Johnson transfer:

https://landryfootball.com/scouts-e...lemson-transfer-qb-hunter-johnson-be-getting/
https://www.12up.com/posts/6066652-...lemson-transfer-hunter-johnson/partners/41317

http://hoosierhuddle.com/hoosier-bl...ng-former-clemson-qb-hunter-johnson/2018/5/22

Indiana I guess is in the mix too. If it's Purdue and IU vs. NU, you gotta like our chances, given that we rarely lose recruits to those two, but this is a transfer situation, and maybe he's homesick?
I wondered if he was home sick too. Separation anxiety is a real thing. It could also be effecting his performance.

I wondered if he was home sick too. Separation anxiety is a real thing. It could also be effecting his performance.
Why are we assuming something is wrong with his performance? There is a senior starter that took them to the CFP and the #1 ranked recruit in the entire 2018 class in his position group. Hunter is a stud and would change the dynamic of the next 3 years and possibly long after.

I believe this is down to IU and NW. I'm an IU fan and i like our chances. Our current OC Debord and QB coach Sheridan had Johnson committed to TN when they were coaching there. And I heard our new strength coach is well respected by the Johnson. As they know him from his Avon HS days when he was the strength coach for Johnson's older brother. Anything can happen but given our relationships with the Johnson family I REALLY like our chances.

I believe this is down to IU and NW. I'm an IU fan and i like our chances. Our current OC Debord and QB coach Sheridan had Johnson committed to TN when they were coaching there. And I heard our new strength coach is well respected by the Johnson. As they know him from his Avon HS days when he was the strength coach for Johnson's older brother. Anything can happen but given our relationships with the Johnson family I REALLY like our chances.

Keep dreaming. I don’t think IU has much of a chance at all.

Maybe it's just me, but I'm not terribly convinced by "DeBord/Sheridan once had Johnson committed to Tennessee." After all, he did end up decommitting.

Plus there's the NU family connection as well, which would seem to counteract that previous relationship as well.

Well no one on the NU staff ever had him committed! Anything can happen! But i think IU would be more appealing to him also because we play in the BTN east. That's big time when you get to go against the best in the country.

Maybe it's just me, but I'm not terribly convinced by "DeBord/Sheridan once had Johnson committed to Tennessee." After all, he did end up decommitting.

Plus there's the NU family connection as well, which would seem to counteract that previous relationship as well.

Correct, if he had such a great relationship with those guys, why did he decommit from UT?

The kid’s priority is obviously to find the most successful football program with an offense and coaching staff that fits his skills where he has certainty of starting in 2019. If I were in his shoes, I would derive certainty by determining the outllook for the QB depth chart and also from the trust I have that the coaching staff will honor their promises to me and will still be on the job when he takes the reigns in 2019. NU has clearly been a more successful football program than IU or PU. Our depth chart provides him with 100% certainty of starting in 2019, our coaching staff is going nowhere, our spread offense is similar to what he ran at Clemson and our OC has a very good track record of developing and getting QBs drafted. I am sure each school can argue about their relationship angle but NU’s is strong given that his brother played for FItz at NU, the kid and the parents love the school/ staff, and one of his former HS receivers (Kirtz) is likely to commit to NU by next week. Top that off with the opportunity to get a top end education/degree from NU and I find it hard to believe how anyone can argue they have a better chance than NU to land this kid.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT