ADVERTISEMENT

I am genuinely concerned we could lose to UMass.

Alvious

Gold Member
Sep 7, 2010
Behind the Cheddar Curtain
My fear is that Fitz goes full turtle to avoid running up the score and it bites us in the rear. I also fear an overall lack of focus and intensity.
Hopefully the 'Cats prove me wrong.

My fear is that Fitz goes full turtle to avoid running up the score and it bites us in the rear. I also fear an overall lack of focus and intensity.

We won’t lose tomorrow, but it might look like a very unimpressive win. I want to see the team come out like their jobs are on the line unless they win 100-0.

D
Doubt a loss will happen but if it does the entire coaching needs to quit or be fired.

C'mon maaannnnn. UMass is ranked dead last in the rankings #130. Even though we are rated around 90, there is a big difference between us and the most incompetent team. I can't imagine it being close after halftime.

I expect similar results as the Southern Illinois v Umass team. SIU is comparable to us. Means a blowout.

With a DL that weighs 205, I imagine even Anderson's line can push them off the ball.

It's literally a 98% chance NU wins. But hey, we've all gotten one-outed on the river before.

UConn beat UMass. I have no doubt that NU will beat UMass..... but then there's Merrimack.... and, well.....

Reactions: rmndcat
Just for the record, I'm not actually predicting a loss, I'm just saying it's something I fear is possible. We seem to never play well when heavily favored.

C'mon maaannnnn. UMass is ranked dead last in the rankings #130. Even though we are rated around 90, there is a big difference between us and the most incompetent team. I can't imagine it being close after halftime.

I expect similar results as the Southern Illinois v Umass team. SIU is comparable to us. Means a blowout.

With a DL that weighs 205, I imagine even Anderson's line can push them off the ball.

Per NCAA here are the following current FBS Total Offensive Rankings

125 UMass
126 Rutgers
127 NU
128 Rice
129 Akron
130 ODU

Reactions: IGNORE
Anything is possible of course, but this would be a monumental upset. As of right now, the line is NU (-41). If UMass were to win, it would be the second biggest upset of all time. The biggest was in 2017 when Howard beat UNLV as a 45.5 point underdog. The second biggest upset was in 2007 when a Harbaugh led Stanford team beat USC as a 40.5 point underdog.

Of all the games with lines that have been played, thousands and thousands of games, this would rank as the second biggest upset of all time. Seems pretty unlikely.

Reactions: Fitz51
Anything is possible of course, but this would be a monumental upset. As of right now, the line is NU (-41). If UMass were to win, it would be the second biggest upset of all time. The biggest was in 2017 when Howard beat UNLV as a 45.5 point underdog. The second biggest upset was in 2007 when a Harbaugh led Stanford team beat USC as a 40.5 point underdog.

Of all the games with lines that have been played, thousands and thousands of games, this would rank as the second biggest upset of all time. Seems pretty unlikely.
Has NU ever been a 41 point favorite?

0% chance we lose this game, literally 0%

My main concern is that we WIN huge, offense looks great, and McCall is extended for another 50 years
we wont win big, with 1/2 of the starters out for the season, it'll look like a Thursday afternoon j.v. game with us winning something like 21-6!

Reactions: rmndcat
I am concerned about how much of this I drank in high school:

md2020.jpg

Per NCAA here are the following current FBS Total Offensive Rankings

125 UMass
126 Rutgers
127 NU
128 Rice
129 Akron
130 ODU
I still think we will win. I'm guessing we pull it out comfortably by about 20 points. Not sure who is doing the vegas odds of 42 but we haven't scored 42 cumulative points if you add up the entire season.

If we do lose to UMass then Fitz should be fired on the spot and we need to move the program forward with a more experienced coach.

If we do lose to UMass then Fitz should be fired on the spot and we need to move the program forward with a more experienced coach.
How many coaches will have 15 years of experience and be available? Maybe Terry Bowden, he beat NU last year with Akron and got his ass fired at the end of the year. Zips are winless in 2019 (NU has won just won more game though).

How many coaches will have 15 years of experience and be available? Maybe Terry Bowden, he beat NU last year with Akron and got his ass fired at the end of the year. Zips are winless in 2019 (NU has won just won more game though).
Any MAC coaches? I know NU is as tight as 'two coats of paint' so we might need to get an up and comer. Fitz isn't a championship coach so it wouldn't be like we lost anything and our recruiting couldn't get any worse.

Our last 2 coaches, prior to Fitz, were readily available and became championship coaches and were far better recruiters.

Any MAC coaches? I know NU is as tight as 'two coats of paint' so we might need to get an up and comer. Fitz isn't a championship coach so it wouldn't be like we lost anything and our recruiting couldn't get any worse.

Our last 2 coaches, prior to Fitz, were readily available and became championship coaches and were far better recruiters.
Uh, neither of them had 15 years of experience. Barnett was a first timer just like Fitz was. Walk had just 9 years at Miami.

Maybe your buddy Bo Pellini would like to come back to the B1G.

Our last 2 coaches, prior to Fitz, were readily available
So, what you’re saying is that we should seek out coaches who are readily available.
That sounds like an excellent plan, you should get right on it!!
Best of luck on your valuable mission.

Just imagine if Rutgers upsets OSU today to set a new record.

I saw that they’re 52 point dogs this afternoon. It’s supposedly the biggest line in Big Ten history.

So, what you’re saying is that we should seek out coaches who are readily available.
That sounds like an excellent plan, you should get right on it!!
Best of luck on your valuable mission.
Good coaches who are readily available. In America, I know we say "2 out of 3 aint bad" but being stuck with the non-championship coach isn't the answer. He just isn't smart enough or wise enough to be able to save his teams from complete and thorough incompetence. Along the way, it's not fair to seniors or excellence.

Many of you are upset this year as the truth was revealed about the Problem of Fitz. His problem isn't only his lack of loyalty to the team over McCall, but I have suspicions that he most likely won't be able to fill an OC position unless he gets a former player.

The good news for the team is that Fitz scheduled awful OOC next year (Morgan State, Central Michigan, Tulane). And we don't have to play OSU or Michigan. So, even by today's standards, 6 wins isn't out of the question.

Good coaches who are readily available. In America, I know we say "2 out of 3 aint bad" but being stuck with the non-championship coach isn't the answer. He just isn't smart enough or wise enough to be able to save his teams from complete and thorough incompetence. Along the way, it's not fair to seniors or excellence.

Many of you are upset this year as the truth was revealed about the Problem of Fitz. His problem isn't only his lack of loyalty to the team over McCall, but I have suspicions that he most likely won't be able to fill an OC position unless he gets a former player.

The good news for the team is that Fitz scheduled awful OOC next year (Morgan State, Central Michigan, Tulane). And we don't have to play OSU or Michigan. So, even by today's standards, 6 wins isn't out of the question.
You have lost your mind now. Fitz is the right guy having a bad year. Let’s not act like he has sucked since he got the job.

Lets see if all the experts around here are correct about no staff changes.

Reactions: Hungry Jack
I just checked the Sagarin ranking and now I'm not as worried as I was before.
There are 130 1-A teams. UMass is ranked 230th, meaning there are 100 1-AA teams ranked ahead of them. (NU is 82nd)

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT