ADVERTISEMENT

I don’t think Hank would do any better-a defense of JON

Catnap22

Aug 11, 2021
Tough to admit, but the Cats don’t have the players to run his scheme.

You need athletic LBs who can run sideline to sideline, an edge rusher, and a big DT who can plug up the middle and free up the LBs to make plays.

Anthony Walker, Dean Lowry, and Tyler Lancaster aren’t walking through that door. Give JON a couple of years to recruit some guys to run a defense and then evaluate. For as great of a coach as Hank was he didn’t recruit well and that’s why we are seeing what we are seeing.

You need athletic LBs who can run sideline to sideline, an edge rusher, and a big DT who can plug up the middle and free up the LBs to make plays.

Anthony Walker, Dean Lowry, and Tyler Lancaster aren’t walking through that door. Give JON a couple of years to recruit some guys to run a defense and then evaluate. For as great of a coach as Hank was he didn’t recruit well and that’s why we are seeing what we are seeing.
I know you’re a troll but I still feel it’s appropriate to call you an idiot publicly.

Uh, we've had lean years on talent even under Hank and never looked this bad defensively. But troll away...

I'm sorry but Anthony Walker, Dean Lowry, and Tyler Lancaster did not walk through the door last year either.

Reactions: DarthCat

You're clueless.

Good luck to you and Jim, Mrs. O’Neil.

Yes he could. The talent isn’t appreciably different from last season.

Reactions: DarthCat
Players not being positioned to make plays is the problem.

We can have a bend but don't break defense with the defensive players that we have right now if they're in the right places at the right time.

The 1-2 play TDs is on the defensive coordinator.

Reactions: DaCat
They've already given up 500 yards more often than in the last three years...with only three P5 games played. And we played 2 sh1t teams. Duke sucks and Nebraska is mediocre. You're just wrong. Fitz made a mistake. He needs to admit it and move on like Ryan Day did
This vaunted Neb offense scored the following points against Power 5 defenses for far this season:
22 vs. LOLinois
16 vs. Oklahoma
20 vs. MSU
56 vs, NU

Hmmm.. what seems different? Neb also put up 52 on Fordham, and 28 on Buffalo. If Frosty hadn't put in his second stringers with 7 minutes to go in the THIRD quarter, the final tally would've been over 70 points against the O'neil defense.

This vaunted Neb offense scored the following points against Power 5 defenses for far this season:
22 vs. LOLinois
16 vs. Oklahoma
20 vs. MSU
56 vs, NU

Hmmm.. what seems different? Neb also put up 52 on Fordham, and 28 on Buffalo. If Frosty hadn't put in his second stringers with 7 minutes to go in the THIRD quarter, the final tally would've been over 70 points against the O'neil defense.
Ended the game on our 11 with 3rd string. Went into Victory formation

This is a really weird hill for those guys to die on.
Because the WLP watch the games closely and break down the film. It’s the exact same scheme Hank ran. JON is not the problem. It’s recruiting and player development which predated jim.

• Haha
Reactions: lunker35

Interesting take.

Because the WLP watch the games closely and break down the film. It’s the exact same scheme Hank ran. JON is not the problem. It’s recruiting and player development which predated jim.
Wrong. JON said pre season he’d changed 75% of the defense. When asked, on TV, how much he’d changed, he said it’s about 75/25, 75 being new. That’s NOT the exact same scheme Hank ran. That answer then would be 0/100, wouldn’t it.

Wrong. JON said pre season he’d changed 75% of the defense. When asked, on TV, how much he’d changed, he said it’s about 75/25, 75 being new. That’s NOT the exact same scheme Hank ran. That answer then would be 0/100, wouldn’t it.
The WLP watch the all 22. They know what they are looking at.

The WLP may not have a trained eye, but they know their stuff. I look forward to hearing their breakdown. Keep in mind they prosecuted the case against McCall so they will call out coaches when needed. I think they believe Fitz to be the problem more so than Jim.

• Sad
Reactions: willycat
The WLP may not have a trained eye, but they know their stuff. I look forward to hearing their breakdown. Keep in mind they prosecuted the case against McCall so they will call out coaches when needed. I think they believe Fitz to be the problem more so than Jim.

They’ve become pretty poor.

Agree

Great thread! Our linebackers and lineman are the problem! Not coaching schemes! We are too slow and too small! Missing tackles all day long! Got to go back to fundamental tackling! Work with the guys you have, but we definitely need more speed out there, from what I see!

The WLP watch the all 22. They know what they are looking at.
Well, yeah! The WLAP know all!

I feel dumb keeping this thread alive. We went from first to worst. Clearly we are playing some players that aren't as good as last year. But you are implying that the talent gap between 2020 first string/second string is so large as to go first to worst. That's just not plausible. There are a few missed tackles, but mostly guys aren't where the ball is. I know I'll never change your mind or the WLAP experts' (they watch all the games!). After all, this is the internet. No one changes their minds..We'll come back to this thread in a few years after JON has run off all the untalented Hank guys and has us back on top. And I will admit I was wrong.

The negative recruiting against us is going to write itself as long as JON is leading the defense.

Seriously, for those of you saying "we're too small/slow" or whatever... how on earth are we going to get faster/more talented guys with JON at the helm of the defense?

Literally every single team that's recruiting against us is going to point to him and say "really? You're going to put your career in his hands?" about a guy that helmed a bunch of "worst in the NFL" defenses and got demoted several times from DC, and now he's about to put together a season of highlights of a "worst in the Big Ten/Power 5 or maybe even worst in FBS" defense.

The leash has to be really tight on him because it just seems unsustainable to keep him; if we haven't reached the point of no return, then we will if we keep seeing these kinds of games the rest of the season.

Reactions: drewjin

While true that Hank did not recruit well himself, they recruit as a program. Hank did well at creating a D for the guys we get. And even if those guys were coming through the door, not sure that this D as we originally saw it in the first few weeks would work with them as everyone was so out of position

A couple of years with this defense, and JON won't be recruiting anyone able to save it.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT