ADVERTISEMENT

I waited almost a week so I could post rationally - Cats will beat Michigan

As a Michigan fan this thread really makes me understand why everyone hates Michigan fans. @blockm2 and @L8115, kindly f*** off. You're pathetic trolls with literally no life if you spend any amount of your time arguing with opposing fans on *their* forum.
Thank you for the sentiment. We do not mind posters from other teams visiting us during the week leading up to game day. We even do not mind interesting debates about each teams' strengths and weaknesses. We know that many teams do not provide free boards that are accessible to other teams without $$$ and therefore we provide an opportunity for good-natured banter. L8115 was a troll because he started calling names because we choose to believe our team will win. We are fans and we choose to believe that. We are not offended that UM is a two touchdown favorite and recognize the history of recruiting classes and the one-sided history of the rivalry (such as it is).

When someone starts debasing us for having somewhat optimistic faith in our team, then they are a troll and should go away. We are referred to as "homers" or "polyannas." We proudly wear those titles. We never forget that "fan" is short for "fanatic." And true fanatics do not let statistics and history get in the way of having faith in their team.

On Saturday night, we will either be over-the-moon or crushed. But until all games are played by computer simulations and the last upset is a thing of the past, we will continue to believe.

I personally don't recall a problem with blockm2.

Reactions: FightNorthwestern
Our D-Line versus your O-Line is an interesting match-up.

I will just say straight up, our tackles are bad. The interior has been inconsistent, but they actually look intimidating, and pass the eye test. It has been 10 years since we had guards that looked like guards. Wildcats will be able to get pressure, so it's on the running backs and tightends to give enough time to get the ball out.

If I were an opposing coach, I would hit Michigan with quick slant after quick slant until they prove they can stop it. And sometimes a well timed pass out to the flat has bitten us during a routine blitz. I do think Michigans defense is softest early on. The defense has tons of depth, and they seem to get stronger as the game goes. Hit them hard early, would be my approach.

You didn't answer the question.... what units or specific matchups are you most worried about?

They ran roughshod over the Nebraska D primarily because of the running game. On fairly simple run plays, Neb was (1) getting blown off the ball, (2) their LBs and Safeties were horribly out of position repeatedly, (3) took a bunch of terrible angles, and (4) missed tackles. I think that our DL will hold up better and our LBs are waaaay better than Nebraska's. I think that the weakness in our defense is our secondary. Shea Patterson seems to usually be a one-read QB, and he's pretty decent at that but if we are able to hold up against the run I don't think Shea will beat us. They do have some talented guys on the edge, so tackling in space will be a challenge for our DBs.

On defense they are elite. They also blitz constantly. I really hope our OTs are back healthy, and Clayton's mobility is improved, cause I expect he will be under siege. In order to score, we will need to execute well on short passes, have the running game give some production, and probably complete at least 1-2 deep balls over the top in order to force Michigan to back off. Those will be challenging, but not impossible.

If we win the turnover battle and are stout against the run, I think we will hang with these guys. Both of those are certainly "ifs" though.
I'm worried about just about every matchup, to be honest.

EDIT: n/m, Turk Wicker convinced me of the error of my position. Carry on.,

Last edited:
I'm worried about just about every matchup, to be honest.

EDIT: n/m, Turk Wicker convinced me of the error of my position. Carry on.,
Well yeah, fair I am as well. They are more talented overall than us. I just don’t think it’s a terrible matchup relative to that. Because their strength on offense is running game and we can counter that, and our strength on offense is running and short passing, which could work decently against Mich’s D. Losing Larkin puts a damper on that though. Great player, hope he’s okay, we will miss him. Our OL will have their work cut out for them against the Mich front.

Reactions: mikewebb68
When someone starts debasing us for having somewhat optimistic faith in our team, then they are a troll and should go away. We are referred to as "homers" or "polyannas." We proudly wear those titles. We never forget that "fan" is short for "fanatic." And true fanatics do not let statistics and history get in the way of having faith in their team.

We have people in our own fan base who use those terms against our own fans. They don't need the help of opposing fans.

As a Michigan fan this thread really makes me understand why everyone hates Michigan fans. @blockm2 and @L8115, kindly f*** off. You're pathetic trolls with literally no life if you spend any amount of your time arguing with opposing fans on *their* forum.
I'm a Michigan fan and I've seen blockm2 on several boards. He's a good poster. The douchebag seems to be u

Well yeah, fair I am as well. They are more talented overall than us. I just don’t think it’s a terrible matchup relative to that. Because their strength on offense is running game and we can counter that, and our strength on offense is running and short passing, which could work decently against Mich’s D. Losing Larkin puts a damper on that though. Great player, hope he’s okay, we will miss him. Our OL will have their work cut out for them against the Mich front.

If I had to self scout, Michigan's D struggles most against misdirection plays when they overpursue or getting speedy WRs in the slot singled up against a safety. They tend to obliterate runs and screen passes of any kind since they have so many people attacking the line of scrimmage.

If I had to self scout, Michigan's D struggles most against misdirection plays when they overpursue or getting speedy WRs in the slot singled up against a safety. They tend to obliterate runs and screen passes of any kind since they have so many people attacking the line of scrimmage.
This does not bode particularly well for NU.

Reactions: Bluetongs

Can we borrow one or two of your speedy receivers for this game?

Don't forget everybody, Hudson, Michigan's starting Viper, will be out for the first half Saturday.

Jordan Glasgow has shown to be a competent backup, but had a blown coverage against Nebraska last week on their opening drive that would've been a sure touchdown if the ball hadn't been tipped at the line.

I'd go 4-5 wide and attack Glasgow in single covereage early and often.

Don't forget everybody, Hudson, Michigan's starting Viper, will be out for the first half Saturday.

Jordan Glasgow has shown to be a competent backup, but had a blown coverage against Nebraska last week on their opening drive that would've been a sure touchdown if the ball hadn't been tipped at the line.

I'd go 4-5 wide and attack Glasgow in single covereage early and often.

to be fair to Glasgow, Nebraska was lined up in an illegal formation and that WR would've been ineligible if they had lined up correctly. They had 1 TE and 3 WRs all on the same side of the field. None of them was actually on the LOS, but the slot WR that went deep would've been covered up by the WR outside of him if he had correctly been on the line.

That semi bust was more based on alignment and Michigan not reading it well. That said, Glasgow is clearly somebody Michigan would prefer not to be chasing WRs 30 yards down field. His strength is more blitzing and defending the run.

Reactions: GlideCat
I will let all the Michigan banter slide, because they at least hate the Bucks almost as much as I do.

A more serious comment - if NU hopes to have any chance against the Mich D, we will need a big game from Flynn Nagel and Cam Green. Then maybe Thorson can finally connect on a long pass to a speedy receiver of the kind we really don't have too many.

Reactions: ricko654321
A more serious comment - if NU hopes to have any chance against the Mich D, we will need a big game from Flynn Nagel and Cam Green. Then maybe Thorson can finally connect on a long pass to a speedy receiver of the kind we really don't have too many.

Michigan definitely struggles more against WRs in the slot when they get a safety on them compared to outside guys with the CBs playing them. Michigan will occasionally play a 3rd CB to cover the slot, but that weakens their run D a little.

I watched purdue vs NW you tool. Fine ill go watch your impressive loss to Akron and your impressive 21-7 loss to Duke....both at home. You would have beat both those teams if not for turnovers, and your aunt would be your uncle if she had balls.

My Aunt does have balls. She ain't my Uncle, either.

Good point.... we have some misdirection running plays that could help. But we’ve just lost our best RB, and we have more possession type WRs than we do speedy guys. Which makes it tough. I think ex Larkin now we will need to win with either excellent execution in the short and mid range passing game (will be difficult as I’m not sure we have the horses at WR and OL to allow this to work consistently) or else by breaking a couple deep passes over the top to loosen the defense up and create space closer to the line. Either that, or our OL comes out of nowhere to shock us and create space for the running game to work despite using backup RBs. But hey, any given Saturday......?

Gotta love Michigan week on the forums. I guess it keeps Florida on his toes, and Glades gets to tell us about aunts and balls.

Gotta roll her out every Michigan game. Lots of woulda, coulda, shoulda and other supernatural discussions this week.

I fully agree that those will be the two key potential cogs in the passing game. Especially Cam Green, given how much Don Brown likes to blitz.

1. I think we will lose badly
2. I effing hate Michigan
3. I will enjoy their 4 other losses this year (MSU, PSU, OSU, overmatched bowl)

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT