ADVERTISEMENT

If you were Clayton Thorson

SciCat

Mar 7, 2005
what would it take for you to agree to return to the field for NU, and what would it take for you to skip the year and focus on prepping for the NFL draft.

For me, I’d need three things to come back. That I wouldn’t be risking my health, that I was good enough to make the team better, and that I wouldn’t be hurting my NFL draft stock.

How I would approach it:

You are always risking your health as a player and nothing is certain, season to season, game to game, play to play. If you really have the desire to play pro ball, rehab the knee to as best it can be, however long it takes and don't take risks. Unless you can be first or second round - very unlikely at this point - whether you are free agent, third round pick, or whatever, so what, doesn't mean much in the grand scheme of things. Means playing next season at NU is unlikely.

Now, if you really love to play and compete and think that you can do something special at the college level, then let it fly next season if possible. Or, if you don't have major pro aspirations, and believe that being a four year starter at NU will give you a super start on your post ball career, then take a chance to do something special.

All to say, it is up to the individual, one size doesn't fit all and that all the speculation on this board doesn't get to what the individual wants in their heart.

Reactions: Noah121
what would it take for you to agree to return to the field for NU, and what would it take for you to skip the year and focus on prepping for the NFL draft.

For me, I’d need three things to come back. That I wouldn’t be risking my health, that I was good enough to make the team better, and that I wouldn’t be hurting my NFL draft stock.
If I were Clayton Thorson? I'd be younger, stronger, and better looking.

NFL scouts have enough tape on Thorson. He just needs to get healthy and ideally comeback for a few games just to shake off the rust.

Clayton has always struck me as a competitor and and unselfish player. I think in the long run, he will be successful no matter what. And honestly, I don’t know that anyone can bank on being a long term nfl player. That said, I see CT returning for the B10 home opener against Michigan and we get a real good sense of what our season will be for next year.

Clayton has always struck me as a competitor and and unselfish player. I think in the long run, he will be successful no matter what. And honestly, I don’t know that anyone can bank on being a long term nfl player. That said, I see CT returning for the B10 home opener against Michigan and we get a real good sense of what our season will be for next year.
With the Bye week before that game, that is sort of a dream scenario isn't it. Assuming his knee is recovering, the other QB's have a competitive off season with the cream rising to the top and the winner gets lots of reps and prep time for the first three games. Then CT gets two weeks with the ones to get his timing down. It gives him an extra month to heal and hopefully gives NU a back up with experience if he gets dinged up at all.

'Investment banker' comes to mind.
I was thinking that too. My brother in law can hardly walk from his football days. He spent most of this year trying to recover from a botched knee replacement that he put off having until he retired. Lived with the pain for years because they told him it is a once in a lifetime procedure. I'm worried that he will never get back into shape to enjoy the things like golf that he has been looking forward to all these years.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT