ADVERTISEMENT

Illinois vs. Penn State, whaddya got?

I have Tim Beckman sneaking back onto the Illini sideline and drawing two sideline warnings, and Joe Paterno pooping his pants again.

Reactions: mikewebb68
All snark aside, Illinois looks pretty good so far.
They’ve played a great half against Ped State. A few thoughts:
  • I hate to say it but both OLs look far superior to ours
  • Ped State is not that great defensively, lots of missed tackles and Illannoy’s freshman QB does not look intimidated
  • McSorley has been exposed to some big hits. Their RB has gashed Ill nearly every time they’ve run the ball, I don’t know why PSU’s OC keeps exposing his senior QB on draws & options up the middle
  • Ill’s kicker has a boot and had the leg on the 55 yard attempt, it just curved right. He looks like a future pro
  • However their punting game looks as bad as ours, if not worse
  • A couple of opportunistic turnovers by Ill have led to only 3 points. If the Peds hold onto the ball in the second half, they should be able to turn the tide
If Illannoy keeps this up all season, they will be far from a guaranteed victory as usual. If they hadn’t blown the USF game and somehow hold on to win this, they’d be decently ranked. It is Hard to fathom, but maybe Lovie is figuring the college game out...

I'm not unrealistic about our chances to win more than 4 games this season, but punting is definitely not a problem for us. Check the national stats. Our Aussie punter will be playing in the NFL. He may be our best asset.

• Ped State is not that great defensively, lots of missed tackles and Illannoy’s freshman QB does not look intimidated
  • McSorley has been exposed to some big hits. Their RB has gashed Ill nearly every time they’ve run the ball, I don’t know why PSU’s OC keeps exposing his senior QB on draws & options up the middle
  • Ill’s kicker has a boot and had the leg on the 55 yard attempt, it just curved right. He looks like a future pro
  • A couple of opportunistic turnovers by Ill have led to only 3 points. If the Peds hold onto the ball in the second half, they should be able to turn the tide
If Illannoy keeps this up all season, they will be far from a guaranteed victory as usual. If they hadn’t blown the USF game and somehow hold on to win this, they’d be decently ranked. It is Hard to fathom, but maybe Lovie is figuring the college game out...

Amazing what happens when you upgrade your OC.

I'm not unrealistic about our chances to win more than 4 games this season, but punting is definitely not a problem for us. Check the national stats. Our Aussie punter will be playing in the NFL. He may be our best asset.
Gosh, just when I forgot why you all are so Illannoying. If your punter is your best asset then you will cave again this season - good for you that you’re wrong and he isn’t. The two punts I’ve seen by him so far have been shanked, looking weaker than Beckman’s balance. Don’t make me puke in my mouth and cheer for Ped State in a game...

Amazing what happens when you upgrade your OC.
It might be youth on their defensive side of the ball, but they ought to look to upgrade their DC this offseason if Lovie survives. #3 is their only senior and Roundtree has played really well, but Ped State has moved the ball rather easily and converted a lot of 3rd downs.

Saunders has rushed for 200 yards through 3 quarters, and could be close to 300 yards if they’d just fed him the ball.

I’m having nightmare flashbacks to Larry Johnson absolutely destroying us in 2002. Ugh. If our OL gets healthy maybe Larkin can crush them too in November.

Gosh, just when I forgot why you all are so Illannoying. If your punter is your best asset then you will cave again this season - good for you that you’re wrong and he isn’t. The two punts I’ve seen by him so far have been shanked, looking weaker than Beckman’s balance. Don’t make me puke in my mouth and cheer for Ped State in a game...
There's a stiff wind in that direction, he's punting it low intentionally.

As for the game, all you need to do is look at their opponent next week and you can see why Penn State not puttjng forth their best effort vs the Illini. But even a meh effort looks like it will be plenty.

There's a stiff wind in that direction, he's punting it low intentionally.

As for the game, all you need to do is look at their opponent next week and you can see why Penn State not puttjng forth their best effort vs the Illini. But even a meh effort looks like it will be plenty.
Illannoy’s freshman QB is looking like a freshman again in the 4th quarter. The pick deep in their own territory was a bit of a fluke, but that near fumble was tough to watch.

It was a fun one for nearly 3 quarters.

Penn State had only three returning starters on defense and has been playing a lot of frosh, so they are shaky and out of position at times. I'll be very surprised if the Buckeyes' offense doesn't rip them. Their best bet that game is to turn it into a scoring battle, and they won't be able to run wild against OSU as they have against the Illini.

Penn State had only three returning starters on defense and has been playing a lot of frosh, so they are shaky and out of position at times. I'll be very surprised if the Buckeyes' offense doesn't rip them. Their best bet that game is to turn it into a scoring battle, and they won't be able to run wild against OSU as they have against the Illini.
That explains their uncharacteristically poor defense. I wouldn’t be surprised if dOSU smashes Ped State, as That was far from a top 10 team tonight.

If PSU’s OC exposes McSorley to big hits like he did tonight, he may get knocked out of their next game. Reminds me of McCall leaning on that awful speed option, which results in a nearly automatic 3 yard loss every time and seems to be begging for a QB concussion.

That explains their uncharacteristically poor defense. I wouldn’t be surprised if dOSU smashes Ped State, as That was far from a top 10 team tonight.

If PSU’s OC exposes McSorley to big hits like he did tonight, he may get knocked out of their next game. Reminds me of McCall leaning on that awful speed option, which results in a nearly automatic 3 yard loss every time and seems to be begging for a QB concussion.

Well, McSorley could very well get knocked out. But the option read is part of their offense, so I doubt they're going to stop it any time soon. Thorson has taken a few hits running, but actually was hurt on a trick pass play. Persa went out on a freak injury that wasn't even part of a football play. It's a funny game. Penn State has a good, although inexperienced, backup behind McSorley. I'm actually surprised they haven't given him more plays this year.

Penn State has a good, although inexperienced, backup behind McSorley. I'm actually surprised they haven't given him more plays this year.
McSorley needs the stats to ensure his status in the NFL draft and Franklin needs a quarterback as a high draft pick in the NFL for future recruiting. Don't expect to see the back-up much this season even (especially) in routs.

Illannoy’s freshman QB is looking like a freshman again in the 4th quarter. The pick deep in their own territory was a bit of a fluke, but that near fumble was tough to watch.

It was a fun one for nearly 3 quarters.
Illinois leads at the beginning of the third quarter and ends up losing by 39.

Ranked? There has to be a joke there, right?

McSorley needs the stats to ensure his status in the NFL draft and Franklin needs a quarterback as a high draft pick in the NFL for future recruiting. Don't expect to see the back-up much this season even (especially) in routs.

They weren't necessarily going to have Stevens in at the QB position all the time. Last year they split him out and put him in the backfield while McSorley was in the game. The kid is a heck of an athlete. McSorley's stats are fine. I doubt they're too worried about that.

Ranked? There has to be a joke there, right?
Yes.

If they had miraculously held on to beat both USD and Ped State, they would be 4-0... and, per wrassler’s past math, a “top 20 team”.

Key word: miraculous. The 4th quarter of that game was what most expected. Watching the B1G play out, I have more hope that we’ll go bowling instead of Illannoy.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT