ADVERTISEMENT

In and out

IGNORE2

Mar 12, 2005
We should start our own thread on the folks coming and going.

McGowan has picked GT
Bergen says he is back next year
Drake (to AZ), Ruiz and Bowser (Miami OH) gone
McDonald and Urban gone
Gunner to AZ
Lees and Leota not returning
Newsome, Pace, Paddy, RCB, Gallagher, Brown and Slater to draft
Green, Whitlock and Ramsey retiring
Raine to Shrine Bowl and done.

(That's 20 out so far)

Transfers In:
Stephen Robinson - WR from Kansas
Hilinski - QB
Meiser - DT
Clair - RB

(That's 4 of 9 in.)

P Adams - GR student - returning - but does not impact the 25 limit of new players obviously
Bergin, Samdup and Holman returning
Washington reverse and will return

I think we have now 16 signed to us and NCAA limits 25 new additions. So looking for 9 new guys.

Add JM & CJ to recruits.

Looks like we will have two deep needs across all position groups.

Last edited:

McGowan has picked GT
Drake and Bower gone
Washington gone
Lees not returning
Leota says he is gone...
Newsome and Metz to draft

I think we have 14 signed and NCAA limits 25 new additions. So looking for 11 new guys.

Metz to draft? What?

Reactions: drewjin
I think we already had a thread on this topic some years ago.

Best burger in the west.

Hey, I know about senior moments. A blonde moment not so much although your definition of a blonde moment is probably different than mine.

McGowan has picked GT
Drake and Bower gone
Washington gone
Lees not returning
Leota says he is gone...
Newsome and Slater to draft

I think we have 14 signed and NCAA limits 25 new additions. So looking for 11 new guys.

Remember this year everyone has 1 year of eligibility waiver. So, what will be different is all the seniors have a decision. A lot of people talk about Peyton - But if others on the offensive line or WR (RCB) decide to stay and play NU will be very deep in talent. This will be a very selective approach this year. All the players in the portal and all programs having smaller turn over of rosters - since everyone was granted 1 year, whether you played or opted out.

Remember this year everyone has 1 year of eligibility waiver. So, what will be different is all the seniors have a decision. A lot of people talk about Peyton - But if others on the offensive line or WR (RCB) decide to stay and play NU will be very deep in talent. This will be a very selective approach this year. All the players in the portal and all programs having smaller turn over of rosters - since everyone was granted 1 year, whether you played or opted out.

Well not really sure about that. Many will have just much larger rosters as they will have up to 25 scholarship recruits and the senior players that decide to remain for 2021 will not count against the cap. So some rosters will be loaded in both size and quality.

NU doesn't look like we will have a huge amount of Seniors coming back. So far Bergin is only one who has committed to coming back. I expect the best player who may comeback is Gallagher as he has only been in the program for 4 years and his brother is on the team. Same can be said for Bergin and Eric Mueller, but I don't know if Mueller is even on scholarship.

Spivak may stay as he also has only been in the program 4 years.

Other guys I think we have a shot of keeping for another year is Kubander, Vogel and I would love for Saunders to stay. Vogel has really improved over his early days and I think he should stay another year and Saunders is a good, strong presence in the middle of the line and he battled injury for several years. Maybe still has the itch to play.

Ramsey would be huge, but I think the odds are 50/50 tops.

I think most of the other guys have had enough and want to move on with their lives. Either for the NFL or to be done with football and school.

Well not really sure about that. Many will have just much larger rosters as they will have up to 25 scholarship recruits and the senior players that decide to remain for 2021 will not count against the cap. So some rosters will be loaded in both size and quality.

NU doesn't look like we will have a huge amount of Seniors coming back. So far Bergin is only one who has committed to coming back. I expect the best player who may comeback is Gallagher as he has only been in the program for 4 years and his brother is on the team. Same can be said for Bergin and Eric Mueller, but I don't know if Mueller is even on scholarship.

Spivak may stay as he also has only been in the program 4 years.

Other guys I think we have a shot of keeping for another year is Kubander, Vogel and I would love for Saunders to stay. Vogel has really improved over his early days and I think he should stay another year and Saunders is a good, strong presence in the middle of the line and he battled injury for several years. Maybe still has the itch to play.

Ramsey would be huge, but I think the odds are 50/50 tops.

I think most of the other guys have had enough and want to move on with their lives. Either for the NFL or to be done with football and school.

I wonder if we will get 85. Between senior departures and transfers, I think we will exceed 25 outbound guys.

I also am quite curious to see who else will enter transfer portal with the program success and seemingly rising.

Blake's Lotaburger.

Maybe that's the southwest. It's more west than the midwest, though.
Drove to San Diego one winter...took the back roads,,,,,did IN and OUt burger...Lotaburger,,,,,,Whataburger...Fatburger......Umamiburger but the best was at the Dairy Queen (Grill and Chill) in Las Animas Colorado....had green hatch peppers, while watching a softball game from the parking lot.

I had a really good bison burger in Custer, South Dakota one night. It had bacon, jack cheese, hot peppers, fried onion and some really good barbecue sauce. I forget the name of the place, and the name of the burger, but it sure as heck wasn’t a royale with cheese.
What did the dad buffalo say when his kid went off to college?

Bison

I thought Raine was going to some kind of senior bowl indicating that he was unlikely to return.

Adams is coming back. I saw it too in one of the post-game articles.

McGowan has picked GT
Drake (to AZ) and Bower gone
Washington gone
Gunner to AZ
Lees not returning
Leota says he is gone...
Newsome, Pace, RCB, Gallagher and Slater to draft
Green retiring

(That's 14 out so far)

P Adams - GR student - returning - but does not impact the 25 limit of new players obviously

Looks like we will have two deep needs across all position groups. I wonder if Raine returns.
Lots of outs. Hopefully a few ins coming soon

So, there is more turnover here than maybe we were expecting due to the free year of eligibility granted for COVID.
Need to replace
3 of 5 OL
2 of 3 LB
2 DBs
2 DEs
2 WRs
QB

I'm most concerned about the LBs mostly because we haven't seen the backups play much. I'm also concerned about being thin at DE. We've already addressed one need at WR.
Still waiting to hear about our DTs.

This looks like a pretty significant rebuilding job next season whereas we first thought we would still be the most experienced squad next year, assuming a lot of folks would be coming back.

So, there is more turnover here than maybe we were expecting due to the free year of eligibility granted for COVID.
Need to replace
3 of 5 OL
2 of 3 LB
2 DBs
2 DEs
2 WRs
QB

I'm most concerned about the LBs mostly because we haven't seen the backups play much. I'm also concerned about being thin at DE. We've already addressed one need at WR.
Still waiting to hear about our DTs.

This looks like a pretty significant rebuilding job next season whereas we first thought we would still be the most experienced squad next year, assuming a lot of folks would be coming back.

Actually, who did we really lose from the starting line up due to COVID free agency?

Leota if you're projecting him to start (as I would think we would). 1 player.

I mean, most of the other guys were losing eligibility anyways if not for the free year or heading to the draft early. Or we lost guys who were transferring due to playing time and weren't going to start anyways. Virtually everyone else was out of eligibility anyways.

And we get Bergin and Adams back because of the free year. Maybe Spivak and Saunders too. And a bunch of non-grad transfers are heading in given the free year (Johnson doesn't count as he's a grad transfer). Possibly and maybe probably our starting QB (though I still maintain not the lock that Ramsey was). So arguably, we are better off than we would have been without the free year.

Time to reload.

Last edited:
Actually, who did we really lose from the starting line up due to COVID free agency?

Leota if you're projecting him to start (as I would think we would). 1 player.

I mean, most of the other guys were losing eligibility anyways if not for the free year or heading to the draft early. Or we lost guys who were transferring due to playing time and weren't going to start anyways. Virtually everyone else was out of eligibility anyways.

And we get Bergin and Adams back because of the free year. Maybe Spivak and Saunders too. And a bunch of non-grad transfers are heading in given the free year (Johnson doesn't count as he's a grad transfer). Possibly and maybe probably our starting QB (though I still maintain not the lock that Ramsey was). So arguably, we are better off than we would have been without the free year.

Time to reload.

I agree. It’s not like the staff has been recruiting the last 4 years without knowledge these guys were due to leave after this season.

This will not be falling off a cliff in production.

Reactions: SiameseCat
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT