ADVERTISEMENT

Indiana

The whole program handled this bowl process poorly and now they have egg on their face. Like you said, they should have focused on what they could control. By not doing so, they have now have cast a shadow on the most successful season they have had in a while.

Given Tom Allen’s stellar reputation the whole stunt was surprising. They took the high road after the “rules adjustment” that benefited the Buckeyes, but obviously were blindsided by the bowl selection process.

That said just a bad look all around. With everything going on in the world today why publicly voice your displeasure over something as menial as the Citrus vs Outback.

I like Allen and he's done a helluva lot for their program, but the pregame stunts and whining were a bad look for the team. It's an old adage in sports that if you're going to woof, you'd better be prepared to back it up, and they fell short of that.

Yeah, Penix wasn't in there, but they were facing a 4-5 Ole Miss team that was missing most of its top offensive weapons and had yielded an average of more than 40 points per game in SEC play. NU would be B1G champs if they'd played a Penix-less Indiana in the title game rather than OSU.

Indiana's vaunted defense wasn't missing anybody and Ole Miss blew right through them for the game winning score. But for the Mississippi kicker, the cryin' Hoosiers wouldn't have even had a chance late in the game. They had a really nice season but it went to their heads big-time and their "Coach of the Year" let it happen. He should have shut down that disrespectful talk to the league, and the Outback Bowl (and thereby the opponent in front of them) right away.

I don't like Allen. His on the field demeanor screams a guy who would complain about his bowl game before going out and winning it. I also could not stomach the way the Hoosiers were so jacked up last year beating a very bad Northwestern team. I've been silent as a lot of NU fans seem to like Allen and feel for the Hoosiers, but I hate them. The one game I root for them, they embarrass themselves against a bad Ole Miss team. I will continue to hate them.

• Haha
Reactions: Rebel_ and drewjin
We’ve had a great time at the Outback Bowl. Really like that stadium - nice size, with good sight lines, wide concourses and plenty of food options,
I stayed in Ybor City and enjoyed the best Cubans(sandwich) around. There was another good FA PP in Ybor City as well
Bob Basham, Founder of Outback, is an acquaintance , of mine and had glowing praise for Fitz and NU.

Reactions: Zootcat
I just think their decision to remove the B1G patch was a relatively peaceful, symbolic form of protest that we of all fan bases should appreciate at some level. This attitude of "well we've been there before and we didn't act like this" - nothing wrong with us acting like good little children while the adults made bad decisions, but doesn't mean that IU must do the same.

I couldn’t disagree with you more. They were the official BigTen representative and should have worn the patch to show it. If they weren’t happy with that role, then they should have turned down the invitation and let someone else have it.

But to act like a bunch of cry babies and disrespect your own conference is unacceptable. I feel no sorrow for their loss. And as my NU wife said when I told her about it ---"Serves them right."

Maybe next time they will act with more respect for the rest of us in the conference. Or if they are really unhappy they can leave the conference all together and be happier somewhere else. I’ve lost a lot of respect for them and the coach, whom I assume was part of the decision to drop the patch.

Last edited:
I don't like Allen. His on the field demeanor screams a guy who would complain about his bowl game before going out and winning it. I also could not stomach the way the Hoosiers were so jacked up last year beating a very bad Northwestern team. I've been silent as a lot of NU fans seem to like Allen and feel for the Hoosiers, but I hate them. The one game I root for them, they embarrass themselves against a bad Ole Miss team. I will continue to hate them.
They aren’t good enough to hate.

IU disrespected a good bowl game and a sponsor that has helped deliver money to BIG and to IU for many years. As posted there are always a couple teams that are unhappy with matchups or seedings. Those teams lost. IU had a chance to help BIG make a statement about the quality of football in BIG. IU did. Feel bad for Iowa. Iowa wanted to play and would have loved the Outback Bowl.

IU disrespected a good bowl game and a sponsor that has helped deliver money to BIG and to IU for many years. As posted there are always a couple teams that are unhappy with matchups or seedings. Those teams lost. IU had a chance to help BIG make a statement about the quality of football in BIG. IU did. Feel bad for Iowa. Iowa wanted to play and would have loved the Outback Bowl.
Exactly, that's the biggest problem here.

Outback is a great bowl game. It's been 2nd on the pecking order for years and delivers the 2nd highest bowl payout to the conference (a part of which goes into Indiana's pocket every year).

This was completely disgraceful for the AD/Allen to act like this.

And at the end of the day, they ended up faceplanting against a 4-5 Ole Miss team and ruining the ending of a magical season that could have ended up as a 7-1 consensus top 10 finish while ending their 3 decade bowl winless streak with a win against an SEC team.

I remember our fans would often gripe about bowl destinations a decade or so ago and perhaps even sometimes recently.

But you only ever saw appreciation from the AD/Fitz/players for the bowl committee and bowl game itself. There was no reason for the IU AD/coach/players to act like a bunch of fans and throw up a middle finger to the Big Ten and the Outback Bowl. Amateur hour all around and hopefully they've learned their lesson from this.

Next bowl game, keep your head down and get a win without embarrassing themselves.

We’ve had a great time at the Outback Bowl. Really like that stadium - nice size, with good sight lines, wide concourses and plenty of food options,
I was there yday, drove across to watch Indiana cause we’d already bought the tickets (in case the Cats went there) so why not. The Citrus Bowl is great, but it’s an immediately noticeable difference being at an NFL stadium (Raymond James in Tampa) vs non (Citrus Bowl) - concessions, concourses, sight lines, organization of staff, production quality at the game, all a notch better. Again, had a blast at the Citrus Bowl, but Outback is great too - would be happy to go back there soon and hopefully get a W.

Good point on Iowa. I think they would have happily bestowed a beatdown on Ole Miss to maintain the conference’s perfect record. If Indiana didn’t want to be there, they should have let Iowa take their spot. Bad look for them and for the B1G. Kiffin and his team straight up outplayed them.

I rooted for the Hoosiers this year. But talk about success going to your head. Shockingly classless. I won't look at the Tom Allen edition of the Hoosiers the same way again. This is who they are. Complain about no respect and then lose to a losing team. Not a good look. Not a sign of a rising program either .

Plus they served ice cold Miller Lite in the stands! We tailgated in the parking lot of my hotel, which was about a mile down the street from the stadium. And what's the name of that steak house with the massive wine cellar? Tampa was fun.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT