ADVERTISEMENT

Interesting chart on NU’s streakiness

NUCat320

Dec 4, 2005
NU is upper left, which is not where you want to be. It means NU has very few big offensive runs, and allows many.

Maybe a negative indicator. Who knows? The lower right teams are objectively good ones.

Last edited:
Only a 1/2 season sample so far and I wonder how that Chicago State game really jacked these numbers…

On one hand, these clusters clearly at least somewhat correlate with team quality and play style just looking at it visually. And it appears NU is looking at having allowed 8 10-0 scoring runs while having zero of their own. That’s pretty bad.

On the other hand, specifically 10-0 is pretty narrowly defined. I recall against PSU we had something like a 15-2. That’s massive, but doesn’t hit this metric. I wonder if it would change materially for NU of you included like 12+ to 2 up to like 16 to 4 type runs in there.

On one hand, these clusters clearly at least somewhat correlate with team quality and play style just looking at it visually. And it appears NU is looking at having allowed 8 10-0 scoring runs while having zero of their own. That’s pretty bad.

On the other hand, specifically 10-0 is pretty narrowly defined. I recall against PSU we had something like a 15-2. That’s massive, but doesn’t hit this metric. I wonder if it would change materially for NU of you included like 12+ to 2 up to like 16 to 4 type runs in there.
Agreed. I think a better metric would be something like “outscored opponent by 10 or more points in a 4 minute stretch”. Or something in that realm. As you stated, not all big runs involve the opponent getting zero points during that time.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT