ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa at Northwestern on Saturday ....

cidsports

Nov 8, 2001
This has been a good series dating back to the 1995-1996 seasons, as Pat Fitzgerald's Wildcats team hosts Kirk Ferentz's Hawkeyes team on Saturday, in Evanston.

No trophy .... bragging rights on the line!

Iowa and Northwestern both have 2 B1G losses.

Iowa has yet to get crack at Wisconsin, while Northwestern still plays Michigan State ahead.

I expect a close one this Saturday. Iowa's passing game may be the difference? Both teams will want to use solid ground attack.

peace

Reactions: NUCat320
Isn't Iowa's best running back hurt? The guy that transferred from Nevada? Anybody know? I heard he has a broken arm or something along those lines.

Best running back is Wadley but Butler has been out since the Penn State game.

This has been a good series dating back to the 1995-1996 seasons, as Pat Fitzgerald's Wildcats team hosts Kirk Ferentz's Hawkeyes team on Saturday, in Evanston.

No trophy .... bragging rights on the line!

Iowa and Northwestern both have 2 B1G losses.

Iowa has yet to get crack at Wisconsin, while Northwestern still plays Michigan State ahead.

I expect a close one this Saturday. Iowa's passing game may be the difference? Both teams will want to use solid ground attack.

peace

So that's what happened to us at halftime....

I always look forward to playing I_oa especially when we are in possession of their w. This year's contest could set the tone for the rest of the season for both teams.

A real turning point for both teams this season and it should be a good game.

If the NU OL can protect the QB, NU's chances are good.

Also it will be another good benchmark to see if the NU DL is for real against the usually good Io_a line, or if we just looked good against mediocre offensive lines like Ped State ;).

After seeing our front 7 get gashed by Nevada and that quirky offensive scheme, the run defense has done nothing but get better each week it seems. We acquitted ourselves quite well against Wiscy, PSU and Maryland--3 of the better running games in the B1G--so I feel somewhat confident vs. Ioa.

Also it will be another good benchmark to see if the NU DL is for real against the usually good Io_a line, or if we just looked good against mediocre offensive lines like Ped State ;).

Wisconsin certainly has an adequate o-line, and I believe NU held Maryland something like 100 yards under its rushing average for the season. Encouraging with the young guys NU has at defensive end this year.

Last edited:
Wisky ends with Indiana,Iowa,Minnesota,Michigan, they may lose a couple
A couple? Based on what you've seen so far, what gives you the idea that any of these 4 teams will challenge Wisconsin? Indiana and Minnesota are horrid against the run, Wisky will eat them up. Michigan has a great D but an equally awful offense and the game is in Madison. Iowa is probably the most well rounded team but they've already lost 2 games in conference play...and once again, that game is in Madison.

After seeing our front 7 get gashed by Nevada and that quirky offensive scheme, the run defense has done nothing but get better each week it seems. We acquitted ourselves quite well against Wiscy, PSU and Maryland--3 of the better running games in the B1G--so I feel somewhat confident vs. Ioa.
Lot of pretty young guys that seem to be coming into their own

Wisconsin certainly has an adequate d-line, and I believe NU held Maryland something like 100 yards under its rushing average for the season. Encouraging with the young guys NU has at defensive end this year.

Graziano was a little quiet against Mary but Samdup Miller showed up to play. Brother Alex swatted down a pass too. Lannie made his presence felt as usual. Run defense has been solid.

Wadley is the best of the Iowa backs, and the one that ran wild 2 seasons ago. Butler I believe is still out, and the other backs are all young without a lot of playing time. The line which is supposed to be the best part of the offense has had injuries and both starting Tackles are Freshman. So, they haven't as yet played with much consistency. They had a bye week, so maybe the line is in more unison now, but with youth its always an unknown. The QB is very good, but a sophomore and is great at times, and erratic at times. Saturday for Iowa just depends on which team shows up, the young and erratic or the paying in unison one.

A couple? Based on what you've seen so far, what gives you the idea that any of these 4 teams will challenge Wisconsin? Indiana and Minnesota are horrid against the run, Wisky will eat them up. Michigan has a great D but an equally awful offense and the game is in Madison. Iowa is probably the most well rounded team but they've already lost 2 games in conference play...and once again, that game is in Madison.

Agree; I'd be mildly surprised if Wisconsin lost any of these games, and very surprised if they lost more than one.

Wadley is the best of the Iowa backs, and the one that ran wild 2 seasons ago. Butler I believe is still out, and the other backs are all young without a lot of playing time. The line which is supposed to be the best part of the offense has had injuries and both starting Tackles are Freshman. So, they haven't as yet played with much consistency. They had a bye week, so maybe the line is in more unison now, but with youth its always an unknown. The QB is very good, but a sophomore and is great at times, and erratic at times. Saturday for Iowa just depends on which team shows up, the young and erratic or the paying in unison one.
Wadley's the real deal; our chances go up exponentially if we can keep him down to reasonable numbers.

Wadley went crazy against the Cats, definitely need to contain him in the same straitjacket we had Sasquatch Barkley wearing for most of the Ped State game.

Guessing you are not familiar with Wrassler. Take the most insane posters on your board, multiply them by 10, and you have Wrassler...

Here is that thing that scares me about Ioa: The QB, Nathan Stanley, has two first names.

You may think I am superstitious, but I am typically not. However, guys with two first names tend to have near-mystical powers. They can accomplish incredible things. Ever see a John Wayne movie, like The Dirty Dozen? Or Tom Brady throw a football? His passes float like birds in a nor-easter but his passes always find the mark. And there's that Mario Mario guy who smashes things in Donkey Kong.

Reactions: hoosboot
Here is that thing that scares me about Ioa: The QB, Nathan Stanley, has two first names.

You may think I am superstitious, but I am typically not. However, guys with two first names tend to have near-mystical powers. They can accomplish incredible things. Ever see a John Wayne movie, like The Dirty Dozen? Or Tom Brady throw a football? His passes float like birds in a nor-easter but his passes always find the mark. And there's that Mario Mario guy who smashes things in Donkey Kong.

That's nothing; Steve Austin had bionic powers.....

Reactions: Hungry Jack

Yeah, that is not superstitious at all.

Except John Wayne was not in The Dirty Dozen.

The Dirty Dozen? John Wayne?

Reactions: cidsports
Yeah, but Lee Marvin was!

He was, but previous commentary mentioned John Wayne, then used The Dirty Dozen, as well.

Lost in translation to what the point there was.

One of Lee Marvin's better films. Of course, he was also in Gorky Park, as well.

Unless they change from form, Iowa doesn't blitz much. At all.

No, they don't as a norm. There are games Phil Parker has chosen to emphasise it, during his six seasons as DC.

Iowa have it in the playbook and showed it against Wyoming and North Texas.

Iowa has played a good OOC schedule this year. The most impressive opponent was Iowa State.

The win by ISU at OU is certainly the biggest highlight upset in the 2017 season.

I expect a game between Iowa-Northwestern to be a good one.

It could be a 28-17 type game for either team or a one possession game down to wire.

Each team has pulled a blow out, in past as well.

I think we are just as good as Wisconsin if CT plays like he did last week! Wisky almost lost to Purdue.

Their QB is played much better than I thought he would. Protects the ball well. It would be nice to get a couple turnovers.

Stanley has been better than reasonable Iowa fans could have hoped for. Not a great player, but solid. 15 TD's to 2 interceptions. Has fumbled a bit too much, but good arm and a big guy who can see over the defense and deliver the ball.

I would guess both teams are in the 20's in this one. One possession game.

Nate Stanley is #3 in country per @PFF_College_Football with 13 TDs with a clean pocket, behind OSU's Barrett and OU's Mayfield.

Nate Stanley is from WI, but a Bears/Cubs fan. The sophomore will be making his third road start, and all three games are on natural turf.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT