ADVERTISEMENT

Joe

NJCat

Gold Member
Mar 8, 2016
North Carolina
I watched Coach McKeown at B1G media day. Did not realize he's been at NU for 15 years.......and has had .500 or better B1G records for the last 4 seasons. In one way, Fitz-like, but definitely not on the other. Joe doesn't get any props here but he sure as hell should. "The Drama Queen...."

Last edited:
I forget who it was, but remember when someone out here went on a crazy campaign to fire this guy after a few years? It was especially loony considering his record at GW.

I couldn't have more mixed feeling about Jim Phillips' time at NU. But he nailed it with the McKeown hire.

Am I wrong in saying the women's program at that time of his hiring made the men's program look consistent and well put together?

I forget who it was, but remember when someone out here went on a crazy campaign to fire this guy after a few years? It was especially loony considering his record at GW.

I couldn't have more mixed feeling about Jim Phillips' time at NU. But he nailed it with the McKeown hire.

Am I wrong in saying the women's program at that time of his hiring made the men's program look consistent and well put together?
I just looked it up and read that he moved to Chicago in 2008 to be closer to better healthcare services for his son who has autism.

So, in a way, he fell into JP’s lap. He wanted to be near Chicago and who wouldn’t hire a coach with his pedigree? But I’m glad he did.

Coach Joe and his family are also heavily involved with Autism Speaks.

Reactions: eddie_gocats

You are absolutely not wrong. His two predecessors went a combined 14-132 in conference play. The program was an utterly hopeless disaster when McKeown took over, and yet he had them in the WNIT in his second year.

You are absolutely not wrong. His two predecessors went a combined 14-132 in conference play. The program was an utterly hopeless disaster when McKeown took over, and yet he had them in the WNIT in his second year.
You are quite correct. Interestingly, a good friend of mine had a daughter who was a member of a state championship team here in Erie Pa. They had 3 gals on the team who made one of the all state teams including my friends daughter. One went to Penn State and another committed to Illinois. I touted by friends daughter to the NU coaching staff and they had no interest in her despite her excellent academics. She was a four year starter and all-conference performer at Quinippiac. Good coaches, like Joe, are also good talent evaluators!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT