ADVERTISEMENT

Johnson winning QB job isn't a foregone conclusion, says Fitz

Yeah right, wink, wink.

I mean he might get abducted by aliens.

Plenty of higher rated recruits get beat out in football, including at QB. It's about the guy who not only makes the throws, but has the intangibles that make the team better. By all accounts Hunter is a great guy but I don't think Fitz is faking it that everyone has to win their position.

Plenty of higher rated recruits get beat out in football, including at QB. It's about the guy who not only makes the throws, but has the intangibles that make the team better. By all accounts Hunter is a great guy but I don't think Fitz is faking it that everyone has to win their position.

LOL. You guys never learn. FItz has become really good at this. The staff knows exactly what they are doing. They will have Hunter more than ready physically and mentally by the time the Cats hit the field in Palo Alto.

When I was at NU in the 1960's, I met a ND sophomore QB at a party in Lake Geneva. Notre Dame was very good then, and he was all over the national sports press--one of the top national prospects. He was recruited to be THE future ND QB (can't remember his name), but as he told it he peaked young and was informed after his freshman year he would not inherit the ND QB job. He was a humble and very nice guy. Sad story, but it happens.

Reactions: Titanium999
Here's my story on Johnson and the QBs....

NU coach Pat Fitzgerald said that Hunter Johnson is in a quarterback competition with everyone else this spring.

Johnson winning QB job isn't a foregone conclusion, says Fitz

So Lou, I know you can't report on the 15 reps or so that you saw. But, let me ask a different question.

Based on your collective observations, do you think there is a competition or is Hunter going to win this hands down?

LOL. You guys never learn. FItz has become really good at this. The staff knows exactly what they are doing. They will have Hunter more than ready physically and mentally by the time the Cats hit the field in Palo Alto.
Is that why the Cats regularly lose a early pre-conference game to a supposedly inferior team?

Is that why the Cats regularly lose a early pre-conference game to a supposedly inferior team?

That has nothing to do with QB play and getting a QB ready.

I will also add that I’d much rather have a staff whose plan and preparation results in the team performing at a peak level during big ten play and a bowl game than peaking early and dropping off later in the year. The sense of satisfaction for the season is much higher in the former case than the latter. I think I remember we started off 4-0 in out of conference play early in Fitz’s career and then laid an egg the rest of the season. That offseason wasn’t very fun, especially compared to what we have experienced during the last several years.

No that is a strategy to mimic the loss to Miami or Ohio in the championship year. "Let em loose to a weak team so they stay humble.":confused:

Reactions: IGNORE
No that is a strategy to mimic the loss to Miami or Ohio in the championship year. "Let em loose to a weak team so they stay humble.":confused:
Al McGuire(for you young players out there, former basketball coach at Marquette who did pretty well up there) said that you cannot really coach guys who are 15-0. You can scream at them, but you can't coach them. They do not listen. After a loss, they are coachable. I am confident that he tried to win every game, but he actually seemed to welcome a loss near the end of the year so the guys would be more receptive to his coaching as the team headed into the tourney. He probably could not coach today - at least not the way he did then, but he was one of the all-time greats, and a great guy to boot. In those days, coaches were well paid, but not multi-millionaires. Al and his family lived next door to my best friend, cut his own lawn, and spent lots of time out in the neighborhood. I saw him often - gracious, entertaining, charismatic, thoughtful - an educator as well as a coach. When I got to NU, we played at home against Marquette on New Year's eve. I ran into Al in Shaefer's Liquors after the game, buying beer for the guys for the bus ride home. He and an assistant carried three cases out to the bus. That likely would not happen today either. Progress stinks!

Last edited:
Al McGuire(for you young players out there, former basketball coach at Marquette who did pretty well up there) said that you cannot really coach guys who are 15-0. You can scream at them, but you can't coach them. They do not listen. After a loss, they are coachable. I am confident that he tried to win every game, but he actually seemed to welcome a loss near the end of the year so the guys would be more receptive to his coaching as the team headed into the tourney. He probably could not coach today - at least not the way he did then, but he was one of the all-time greats, and a great guy to boot. In those days, coaches were well paid, but not multi-millionaires. Al and his family lived next door to my best friend, cut his own lawn, and spent lots of time out in the neighborhood. I saw him often - gracious, entertaining, charismatic, thoughtful - an educator as well as a coach. When I got to NU, we played at home against Marquette on New Year's eve. I ran into Al in Shaefer's Liquors after the game, buying beer for the guys for the bus ride home. He and an assistant carried three cases out the bus. That likely would not happen today either. Progress stinks!

I loved Al McGuire as a coach and TV analyst with Dick Enberg. He was an all time great.

Coachspeak is a part of the job.

Fitz has to be evenhanded and fair. An open competition where Johnson is expected to win handily is what we have on our hands.

No real reason to read more into Fitz's comments than necessary.

Reactions: DaCat
That has nothing to do with QB play and getting a QB ready.

I will also add that I’d much rather have a staff whose plan and preparation results in the team performing at a peak level during big ten play and a bowl game than peaking early and dropping off later in the year. The sense of satisfaction for the season is much higher in the former case than the latter. I think I remember we started off 4-0 in out of conference play early in Fitz’s career and then laid an egg the rest of the season. That offseason wasn’t very fun, especially compared to what we have experienced during the last several years.

Remember, gcg said those games don’t even count. Might as well play the scrubs.

Question about this article, Lou. You wrote that all five QBs “are still splitting reps equally among them this spring.”

Did Fitz actually say equally? Or was that what you inferred from the direct quote: “The guys are rotating, learning, growing...”

It would be very surprising to me if NU decided to only give Hunter 20% of the reps.

Al McGuire(for you young players out there, former basketball coach at Marquette who did pretty well up there) said that you cannot really coach guys who are 15-0. You can scream at them, but you can't coach them. They do not listen. After a loss, they are coachable. I am confident that he tried to win every game, but he actually seemed to welcome a loss near the end of the year so the guys would be more receptive to his coaching as the team headed into the tourney. He probably could not coach today - at least not the way he did then, but he was one of the all-time greats, and a great guy to boot. In those days, coaches were well paid, but not multi-millionaires. Al and his family lived next door to my best friend, cut his own lawn, and spent lots of time out in the neighborhood. I saw him often - gracious, entertaining, charismatic, thoughtful - an educator as well as a coach. When I got to NU, we played at home against Marquette on New Year's eve. I ran into Al in Shaefer's Liquors after the game, buying beer for the guys for the bus ride home. He and an assistant carried three cases out to the bus. That likely would not happen today either. Progress stinks!

It’s a bit of a paradox because you don’t need to coach guys who are 15-0.

Reactions: Gladeskat
I have a sneaking suspicion those weren’t my exact words, but I guess you consider yourself the master of the archives.

That Akron game sure didn’t keep us from Indy though, did it?

It didn’t. But my God it was painful.

GOUNUII

Reactions: drewjin
It didn’t. But my God it was painful.

GOUNUII
Watching the loss was painful, almost surreal. The loss itself was just there and didn't move, and we just stared at it throughout the year.

Watching the loss was painful, almost surreal. The loss itself was just there and didn't move, and we just stared at it throughout the year.

Somehow, last season felt like it was scripted by some corny Hollywood writer. Against Akron, we were up 21-3 at halftime, and already thinking of resting the starters. Maybe we did. That felt like rock bottom. Then, in our last game, we were down 20-3 at halftime against Utah (11-1 in bowl games under their coach) in the Holiday Bowl, and damn it looked like they would hang 40+ on us. Not only did we shut them out in the second half, we won going away. Who writes plots like this anyway?

Somehow, last season felt like it was scripted by some corny Hollywood writer. Against Akron, we were up 21-3 at halftime, and already thinking of resting the starters. Maybe we did. That felt like rock bottom. Then, in our last game, we were down 20-3 at halftime against Utah (11-1 in bowl games under their coach) in the Holiday Bowl, and damn it looked like they would hang 40+ on us. Not only did we shut them out in the second half, we won going away. Who writes plots like this anyway?
Fitz

I have a sneaking suspicion those weren’t my exact words, but I guess you consider yourself the master of the archives.

That Akron game sure didn’t keep us from Indy though, did it?

Nope. It kept us from national relevance and combined w Duke, kept us from a better bowl game. Akron specifically kept us from a 10 win season. And if we had beat lowly Akron and Duke and played a better second half at Michigan, we would have been the talk of the sports nation - undefeated in the B1G and a feel good story.

Recruits would be tripping over each other to join a team winning 10+ every year and about to debut their first five star super QB.

But alas, those NC games don’t mean anything yet somehow our record per the inter web was 9-5. We were one of many decent programs, beat a blase Utah in a bowl game that interested few outside of alums and our recruiting is what it has been for years.

Sorry gcg, but those were big and avoidable losses last year. It could have been the most wins ever, could have been back to back 10+ win seasons. It could have been a program changer, especially w the potential HJ and our D bring into this season.

Nope. It kept us from national relevance and combined w Duke, kept us from a better bowl game. Akron specifically kept us from a 10 win season. And if we had beat lowly Akron and Duke and played a better second half at Michigan, we would have been the talk of the sports nation - undefeated in the B1G and a feel good story.

Recruits would be tripping over each other to join a team winning 10+ every year and about to debut their first five star super QB.

But alas, those NC games don’t mean anything yet somehow our record per the inter web was 9-5. We were one of many decent programs, beat a blase Utah in a bowl game that interested few outside of alums and our recruiting is what it has been for years.

Sorry gcg, but those were big and avoidable losses last year. It could have been the most wins ever, could have been back to back 10+ win seasons. It could have been a program changer, especially w the potential HJ and our D bring into this season.

If only we won more games it would have been better? You’re really knocking my socks off with that theory. Spectacular insight.

And if you haven’t noticed the uptick in recruiting, you’re either dumb or willfully ignorant.

Question about this article, Lou. You wrote that all five QBs “are still splitting reps equally among them this spring.”

Did Fitz actually say equally? Or was that what you inferred from the direct quote: “The guys are rotating, learning, growing...”

It would be very surprising to me if NU decided to only give Hunter 20% of the reps.

Still wondering about this....

If only we won more games it would have been better? You’re really knocking my socks off with that theory. Spectacular insight.

And if you haven’t noticed the uptick in recruiting, you’re either dumb or willfully ignorant.

Well 247 has it up and down and relatively flat. Our record in terms of wins has also oscillated. But I know, you know more than 247, which why you are a former recruiting analyst for NU.

So, your right, NC games are meaningless. Two or three more wins wouldn’t have any impact upon recruiting. Whatever. Go back to your cup of Koolaid.

Well 247 has it up and down and relatively flat. Our record in terms of wins has also oscillated. But I know, you know more than 247, which why you are a former recruiting analyst for NU.

So, your right, NC games are meaningless. Two or three more wins wouldn’t have any impact upon recruiting. Whatever. Go back to your cup of Koolaid.

Whose right?

There’s been a noticeable uptick in the quality of recruit even visiting campus. Our QB, RB, and WR recruits all chose NU over high-major P5 offers before the calendar even turned over to 2019. Guys coming back for spring official visits are all high-major prospects. I fully expect the class to start filling up with very high-quality prospects in July and August at the latest.

But you’ll just find something else to complain about, so I’m not sure why I even bother.

Whose right?

There’s been a noticeable uptick in the quality of recruit even visiting campus. Our QB, RB, and WR recruits all chose NU over high-major P5 offers before the calendar even turned over to 2019. Guys coming back for spring official visits are all high-major prospects. I fully expect the class to start filling up with very high-quality prospects in July and August at the latest.

But you’ll just find something else to complain about, so I’m not sure why I even bother.

Maybe. But football is the only thing going right in Chicago. The Bears are lined up to compete for a few years. NU has a stud at QB and a new OL coach and undeniable talent in the D. If the WRs don’t get separation and hold the ball, then all fingers point at the WR coach. But NU should contend in the B1G for the next few years too.

Blackhawks and Bulls suck with no salvation in sight. The Sox and the MBB also appear to be incapable of achieving expected success. I wonder which will compete in the post season first. But hey, how about the. Cubs? I could have gotten any north sider to betme the Sox would never be better than Cubs this season. Now Cubs might earn a better draft spot.

I saw Hunter at Brownburg for years & the biggest question about him was his willingness to compete. When he went to Clemson I was happy because I thought that was a clear sign he had conquered that question mark. But locally we heard stories right away that he was already struggling with competition there & looking to leave. Then with a signing of another elite QB he was out the door. According to people here in Indy he never even considered transferring to other major programs, he just wanted a good education & to be able to play right away.
I’m glad he chose Northwestern to get that great education he is looking for. But I think the question marks from HS are still there. So him having to compete to win the job doesn’t surprise me at all. The elite, 5 Star QBs have that edge to them. Hunter lacks that. Same thing happened with Gunner Kiel. He was 5 Star, #1 QB in country. Committed to multiple schools, before transferring out after he wasn’t given the starting job. He didn’t want to compete. Same thing with 5 Star Blake Barnett. Both Kiel & Barnett didn’t want to compete, so decimmitted & transferred...and ended up doing nothing.
So Fitz should make Hunter compete for the job. He needs to earn it.

I saw Hunter at Brownburg for years & the biggest question about him was his willingness to compete. When he went to Clemson I was happy because I thought that was a clear sign he had conquered that question mark. But locally we heard stories right away that he was already struggling with competition there & looking to leave. Then with a signing of another elite QB he was out the door. According to people here in Indy he never even considered transferring to other major programs, he just wanted a good education & to be able to play right away.
I’m glad he chose Northwestern to get that great education he is looking for. But I think the question marks from HS are still there. So him having to compete to win the job doesn’t surprise me at all. The elite, 5 Star QBs have that edge to them. Hunter lacks that. Same thing happened with Gunner Kiel. He was 5 Star, #1 QB in country. Committed to multiple schools, before transferring out after he wasn’t given the starting job. He didn’t want to compete. Same thing with 5 Star Blake Barnett. Both Kiel & Barnett didn’t want to compete, so decimmitted & transferred...and ended up doing nothing.
So Fitz should make Hunter compete for the job. He needs to earn it.
Wow what a negative response regarding one of the top rated QB's coming out of H.S! Let's try and remember that he is now three years older and also NU isn't "just" an academic school but one that won it's division and played for the conference championship last season.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT